PDA

View Full Version : Disability?

niecefriend
04-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Has anyone been awarded Disability? If yes, how did you go about it?

My aunt who is also my best friend has lupus. She was diagnosed 9 years ago. After she had her son who is now 5 she got sicker and sicker. She was fired from one job because she couldn't keep up. She now has an even worse job, the hours suck, and she can barely keep it. She tried for disability twice but was refused both times. She talks about giving up all the time. I'm trying to find ways to help. I joined this forum and also looked into support groups. The support group closes to us never return my calls or emails. I'm going to try and get my aunt to join this forum as well.

Please help. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

ganesha
04-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Getting disability can be very difficult and frustrating from what I hear. I am receiving SSDI, but I was permanently paralyzed from a car accident before my Lupus showed up, so I was a little ahead of the game fortunately, as dealing with that combination is proving to be a huge struggle at times. I have heard that getting a lawyer can be a huge help. I think Binder and Binder is a national group that specializes in disability cases and can be of major help. As I understand it, they do not collect until you win your case, and they get paid out of the retroactive $ disability cases usually garner, as they are to begin paying benefits from the time you were actually determined to be disabled. Getting refused several times seems to be the norm, so get some legal assistance and keep fighting.
Good luck
Brent

cnlb2005
04-03-2006, 05:00 PM
2 make a long story short, i applied the first time in 95 they told me no so i went back to work. i got sicker i then reapplied in 96, the first time they said no i proceeded to the 2nd step and was awarded my ssdi. i've been on it since 96.

the secret is no matter what illness you have unless it's undeniable they tell most people no the first time. don't get discouraged proceed to the 2nd step. and sometimes you might have to go to the end which is a court hearing

good luck

niecefriend
04-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks for this help. I will look into the lawyer for my aunt. I talked to her yesterday and we discussed going down to apply for disability again. I'm going with her to see if my two cent in this procedure will help.

Any additional information will be appreciated.