PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum

Coloradan
10-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Hi everyone,

I might chime in here or there, so I thought I would introduce myself! I have been having minor health problems off and on for years now, but nothing that a doctor really thought was a problem. In fact, I think my most recent doctor thinks I am a hypochondriac! After a very bad virus about ten years ago, I started to have problems feeling shaky and brain-fog-y a lot, and my solution is usually to just eat a lot. No diabetes (so far - fingers crossed!). I also started having stomach aches, so I stopped eating gluten and I feel almost 100% in that department now. Over the past few years I have had frequent headaches (4-5/week) that are usually mild, but sometimes last all day. Or just appear here and there, or I wake up with them. It's really annoying! Still, nothing the doctor cared about. A few weeks ago I noticed that one of my veins in my ankle was reaaaally bulgy, and it's stayed that way! Left side only. It hurts sometimes. After that I started to get a sore throat every day (again, mild), off and on. Also really annoying! Then my left wrist started to hurt, and now sometimes my elbow and hand. The muscles in that arm feel weak too. My right wrist feels a little achy too, but nowhere near as bad as the left. It hurts for that one to wash dishes, open doors, push myself out of a chair, etc. I thought it was carpal tunnel, but I don't type THAT much, and anyway, I'm right handed, so I thought if I got CT it would be in my right wrist.

I haven't seen a doc about these most recent things, since I graduated from grad school (age 28) and my health insurance ended. I'm not sure whether or not to pursue testing, since from these forums it seems like it is really common to get no results from testing, even when your symptoms are MUCH more severe than mine. The fatigue, in particular... I feel more tired than usual, but it's completely awful like for many people (thank goodness!)... but maybe I'm just used to a low level of fatigue so that feels "normal" now. Anyway, I think I'll just read around here for a while and keep an eye on things for a while.

Thanks for reading!

tgal
10-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Hi everyone,

I might chime in here or there, so I thought I would introduce myself! I have been having minor health problems off and on for years now, but nothing that a doctor really thought was a problem. In fact, I think my most recent doctor thinks I am a hypochondriac! After a very bad virus about ten years ago, I started to have problems feeling shaky and brain-fog-y a lot, and my solution is usually to just eat a lot. No diabetes (so far - fingers crossed!). I also started having stomach aches, so I stopped eating gluten and I feel almost 100% in that department now. Over the past few years I have had frequent headaches (4-5/week) that are usually mild, but sometimes last all day. Or just appear here and there, or I wake up with them. It's really annoying! Still, nothing the doctor cared about. A few weeks ago I noticed that one of my veins in my ankle was reaaaally bulgy, and it's stayed that way! Left side only. It hurts sometimes. After that I started to get a sore throat every day (again, mild), off and on. Also really annoying! Then my left wrist started to hurt, and now sometimes my elbow and hand. The muscles in that arm feel weak too. My right wrist feels a little achy too, but nowhere near as bad as the left. It hurts for that one to wash dishes, open doors, push myself out of a chair, etc. I thought it was carpal tunnel, but I don't type THAT much, and anyway, I'm right handed, so I thought if I got CT it would be in my right wrist.

I haven't seen a doc about these most recent things, since I graduated from grad school (age 28) and my health insurance ended. I'm not sure whether or not to pursue testing, since from these forums it seems like it is really common to get no results from testing, even when your symptoms are MUCH more severe than mine. The fatigue, in particular... I feel more tired than usual, but it's completely awful like for many people (thank goodness!)... but maybe I'm just used to a low level of fatigue so that feels "normal" now. Anyway, I think I'll just read around here for a while and keep an eye on things for a while.

Thanks for reading!

First let me welcome you to WHL! We are really glad that you signed up and look forward to getting to know you better.

You are correct about Lupus and other AI diseases being difficult to diagnose. Basically Lupus is diagnosed when one has 4 of the 11 symptoms and everything else has been disqualified. Lupus is a disease of exclusion as much as anything else. Many of us here are on the no insurance bandwagon so we can relate.

Once again welcome to our family and we look forward to getting to know you!

Gizmo
10-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Welcome from another Coloradan! I'm glad you found us. Hopefully you will find the info here helpful. None of us can tell you whether you do or don't have an autoimmune disease, but if you get a job with insurance I can give you some rheumatologist names in Denver. A word of caution, if you are diagnosed with something while you are uninsured, it probably won't be covered when you are insured, unless you can get on with a big company that doesn't have a "pre-existing" clause. Best of luck to you, and congratulations on finishing grad school.

Saysusie
10-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Hello and welcome to our family :-)

What you are experiencing with your doctors and testing is, unfortunately, quite common amongst those suffering with AI issues.
I wouldn't say that lab tests do not get results, they are very important in the diagnostic process as well as in the management of the disease. The issues comes when doctors rely solely upon lab tests (without considering symptoms and history) to deny treatment or diagnosis. So, I would suggest that you re-consider your decision to forgo further tests..it might be wise for you to have the tests run.
We are all here to help you as much as we can. Please come to us if you need any information, advice, suggestions, or if you just need to talk.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

steve.b
10-03-2011, 09:49 PM
i live in australia, so i willnot comment on doctors and insurance.

there is 63 different immune system disorders. many of the symptoms overlap.

welcome to our cyber family.

Coloradan
10-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Hi everyone, thanks for the welcome and the advice! I am looking forward to spending more time on the forum.