PDA

View Full Version : Superficial clots anyone?

prothumos
10-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Good afternoon all,

Has anyone ever had a "superficial clot"? At least I think that's what it is, lol....

I've had a blood clot on my hand since Friday night. You can see it underneath the skin but it's not very moveable. Yesterday it was a little smaller, today it's a little bigger. I did some research and I'm pretty sure it's called a superficial clot - all the stuff I read said warm compresses and waiting. I've got a call in to my rheumy since I do have APS but figured I'd come to my experts and see what ya'll know!

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Robin

tgal
10-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Good afternoon all,

Has anyone ever had a "superficial clot"? At least I think that's what it is, lol....

I've had a blood clot on my hand since Friday night. You can see it underneath the skin but it's not very moveable. Yesterday it was a little smaller, today it's a little bigger. I did some research and I'm pretty sure it's called a superficial clot - all the stuff I read said warm compresses and waiting. I've got a call in to my rheumy since I do have APS but figured I'd come to my experts and see what ya'll know!

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Robin

When in doubt it is always a good idea to call the doctor! From everything my doctor has said and from what I have read the clots you need to worry about are the ones you can't see. The ones to worry about are called deep vein thrombosis and which is defined as "Deep venous thrombosis (DVT) mainly affects the large veins in the lower leg and thigh. The clot can block blood flow and cause swelling and pain. When a clot breaks off and moves through the bloodstream, this is called an embolism. An embolism can get stuck in the brain, lungs, heart, or other area, leading to severe damage."

Although I have been diagnosed with APS I have also been diagnosed with hypercoaguability which is APS on drugs LOL. There is some really good information on hypercoaguability found here (http://www.noaw.com/Hypercoag/Hypercoagulability.htm)

Anyway, to answer your question the answer is that usually clots at the surface is something that they leave alone (at least they have on mine). Hope that helps a little!