PDA

View Full Version : Fundoplication anyone???

Divamomof5
10-01-2011, 07:30 PM
I have noticed quite a few people on here that have GERD and Reflux.
Mine is so out of control that I will be having surgery for it.

So I am wondering if anyone here has had a nissen fundoplication for GERD.
I am scheduled for surgery in 2 1/2 weeks.

Will Lupus affect how I heal from a surgery??

Thanks for any thoughts/advice!

steve.b
10-01-2011, 07:53 PM
lupus can increase the healing time.
that is because lupus deminishes the bodys immune system.

some of us have had major and minor surgery.
i had a severe sinus operation.
(a minor surgery, but severe for sinus).
i had no complications or extended recovery.

i know others were not so lucky...... longer recovery periods.

wishing you luck.
please let us know when the surgery is.

tgal
10-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Hi and welcome to WHL! I have not had the surgery but please let me know how it goes! Sometimes it is so bad I think a real heart attack would be better!

As far as how will Lupus affect it... just make sure the doctors know about the Lupus and any immunosupressants that you are on. I look forward to getting to know you

Desleywr
10-02-2011, 12:17 AM
I have had two major and one minor the minor no probs. The major was getting a hiatus hernia teased out from the back of my heart, all went well five and half hr op but after op my left lung collapsed. Then developed a new hiatus hernia in two days and had that operated on eight and hlf hrs op with an esofical (not sure on spelling) wrap put around my esoficus also left lung collapse after op. I had reflux before this with Gerd vomiting in my sleep a bit scary. I also may have Sscleraderma which may be responsible almost diag being talked about for five ysrs now. If you need any advice on refluxGerd please give me a pm as I have it mainly controlled with meds and diet. My stomach and sometimes my bowl don't empty with out drugs which makes Gerd even worse to the point where sometimes food won't go down.

tgal
10-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Actually Lupus does not diminish our immune system, our meds do. Lupus itself is a disease of an over active immune system which is why we take meds to destroy our immune system. We always need to make sure that our doctors are aware of the fact that we have Lupus and what meds we take for it

kim,l
10-02-2011, 09:54 PM
i had operation for gallstones and they removed my gall bladder i found my reflux was worse after this

Merrilyn OZ
10-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Hi,
I've had 3 Operations 1 major. I've had no problems with healing. The Docs boost my prednisone before the operations.
Like you I suffer from GERD and reflux and I'm having a Halo 90 sugery in a fortnight to burn off the Barretts cells - not sure if this is similar to what you're having.

My reflux was very severe infact I've had a cancer removed from my oesphagus which was possibly caused by long term GERD and reflux. I'm now on medication to reduce the stomach acid and halt the reflux, its great to go to bed and know I won't be woken by that horrid acid burning feeling.

Hope your Operation goes well
Will be thinking of you