PDA

View Full Version : lupus giving me problems at work

Morpheus
04-03-2006, 02:02 AM
Hi everyone, glad everyone's back together :D :D :D

As of this year lupus has increasingly been giving me problems.
I'm a part-time baker and full time student. However, in the past i was always able to do my job no problem,inspite that it could be rather strenuous work at times.

Now these days it seems that through half of my shift( i usually work late shift till about 11 pm) My joints would start aching and fatigue would start setting in.

It is really frustrating as my job depends on me having to be active all the time.

Is there any advice from anyone.

Saysusie
04-04-2006, 08:06 AM
Hi Again Morpheus Very Happy
Believe it or not, the thing that I have found that helps me to manage my fatigue the most is regualr exercise!! When I exercise daily, I fing that I have more stamina and less debilitating fatigue. I engage in activities that strengthen my stamina but don't cause stress to my joints and muscles. During nice weather, I swim laps for all-over fitness. I also walk (not jog or run) and ride my bike.
With reference to working, the most important thing is to listen to your own body; it will let you know when you need to take a rest. There is no doubt that you will have to make some adjustment to your lifestyle and to how you manage your active and rest periods at work. But, you WILL need to give yourself some recuperative rest periods at work. Trying to do this while still maintaining the required expectations will more than likely be a challenge. However, you could talk to your employer and discuss some sort of job accommodations. Changes may be necessary, but that does not necessarily mean that they will be negative. It may be that you cannot manage to work the hours you used to work. If this is not possible, maybe you might be able to spread the hours you work over more days or be able to take a longer break in the day.
It is very important that you take care of yourself and look after your body, it is no good pushing yourself to the limit. Learn to pamper yourself a little, learn to accept help when offered and don't push yourself to do anything that may be unnecessary - some things can wait until tomorrow. It is very important to remember that your body also needs time to rest and rejuvenate and start again.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Morpheus
04-05-2006, 12:35 AM
hi saysusie, Once again i'm glad the site is back online. It was very disheartening to find that i could not log onto wehavelupus.com.

Once again, your advice have been invaluable. I do try working out often (weight training)
but unfortunately i do not always have the time.

However the increased fatigue have only started this year. I'm only 25, And have had lupus for 10 years Could be because of my age?

hatlady
04-05-2006, 09:52 AM
AGE! You're a young'un, sweetie! :wink:

I find that fatigue waxes and wanes. When I start looking at other stresses in my life, I find that when I have difficult stresses on me, I'm more fatigued. When I have pleasurable stresses (happy things that take my time and attention) I am less fatigued.

I once heard it called DIS-stress and EU-stress, and it made sense. Both take a toll, but with dis-stress, we are reacting with symptoms of stress, which include fatigue, sleep disruption - which adds to fatigue, and other illnesses. With eu-stress, we still have potential issues, but the positive side of the situation helps us overcome the negatives.

Consider some meditation - even learning to breathe right and to sit quietly for 5-10 minutes a couple times a day - that can help manage everything.

This board is a help as well - what a way to manage our DIS-stress!

Many hugs, dear, and have a criossant from your bakery with a cup of coffee along with me... (sounds wonderful right now!)

Saysusie
04-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Hatlady;
I love the "Dis-stress" and "Eu-Stress" concepts. What you say is very true and, in fact, I have to say that it has happened to me also. I think that when I am stressed, I also get a bit depressed and, yes, my fatigue is exacerbated. Fortunately, my husband sees the changes and forces me to get up and do a light work out with him (sometimes we just take walks together) and that really helps. It doesn't cure it, but it does help.
As usual, your advice is right on point and very insightful. Thanks so much

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie