PDA

View Full Version : feeling crappy

Courtney
09-28-2011, 08:55 AM
I was diagnosed with SLE 5 years ago. My major prioblem up until July was my skin. I made the mistake of spending a Saturday on the sun in early July (yes, I had on TONS of sunscreen)and have not been right since. I am always exhausted, have a constant headache and just feel generally sick. My blood work shows nothing wrong (except that my ANA's are positive, high, etc). My doc tried me on 10mg of prednisone for 1 month and it did nothing. Now she just thinks I am depressed and added Wellbutrin to my already large pharmacy that I swallow every day. This is starting to effect my daily life. I cannot concentrate, everyhting hurts (and I mean everything) and I am getting stange rahses in strange places.

Has anyone ever dealt with a flare that was not showing up on blood work? I feel like my docs are just blowing me off.

ritzbit
09-28-2011, 09:04 AM
I just wanted to ask if your doctor mentioned trying medrol instead of pred because I found out that my body doesnt even metabolize it so it does nothing for me. Medrol is a better steriod on the body but it is more expensive if you dont have insurance. My rheum accused me of not taking my pred because I wasnt getting better on it until she realized my body couldnt use it.

Courtney
09-28-2011, 09:16 AM
I have taken prednisone before and it worked great. I think a 10mg dose was too low. The medrol packs do nothing for me.

ritzbit
09-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Was just a thought. I dont know what a medrol pack is though lol. I have no suggestions on meds then. I know that people have problems with the blood work thing alot though because doctors like to use that as the only proof of a flare. I'm sure someone will come along with some better advice. My brain isn't all the way there today....lol

serand4
09-28-2011, 02:45 PM
My mom is my biggest advocate and also a pain in the tookus on occasion. I use high level sun screen and while it may be doing something, I sure don't see it! I get so red and my mom asks me every time I see her if I'm using sun screen because the moment the Sun and I get together, I turn beet red! Regardless, a day of sunshine does me NO good. I hope you start feeling better soon.

n.mac
09-28-2011, 05:12 PM
The sun really messes me up as well-I tried sunscreen and limiting sun exposure,but nothing short of staying out of the sun helps.
I wear long sleeves and sunscreen just so I can drive.
Its not worth triggering a flare just to be out for an hour or two!