PDA

View Full Version : Mom in hospital

ruziska
09-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Hey everyone:

Mom was moved from the hospital today into a transition center. Unknown how long she'll be there but it is the next step in coming home. The doc said that from a neurological standpoint, she is very healthy and strong. She was extremely dehydrated and was given 7 liters of saline in less than 24 hours. The dehydration and extremely high blood pressure is what is causing her problems. They are giving her 3 different meds to get the blood pressure down then they'll maintain. Dehydration is simple: NO MORE soda and lots of water and other healthy fluids.

Her health part is the easy thing to deal with. I've got professional cleaners coming in tomorrow to clean the carpet. Daughter put an ad in the paper and on craiglist for the birds and bearded dragon. Daughter also took the blind pomeranian home with her. The 3 cats are basically feral. They are HUGE and I mean they've each got to weigh well over 20 pounds. Frighteningly huge. I don't know what their future will be. The shelters are overloaded with cats right now. They aren't a priority to deal with at the moment. Cleaning IS a priority. Cleaning. Glove wearing, scrubbing, sweating, elbow grease, exhausting cleaning. Cleaning that will take days, weeks. And I'll do most of it alone. Daughter is coming to help tomorrow but her help will be sparse. I will take what I can get and be grateful for it. Husband does a tiny bit but acts like he does so very much and is more pain than help. I'd rather he stayed away.

I'm out of spoons and I don't know when I'll get anymore. This journey has just started and honestly won't end until my mother passes. My marriage is NOT going to get better. I'm going to counseling and with his help, I'll slowly find my footing. I'm trying my best to get through each day and find joy and peace wherever I can. I'm trying to take moments for myself and take care of myself.

steve.b
09-27-2011, 11:52 PM
( (( h u g s ) ) )

Nonna
09-28-2011, 02:14 AM
((((((((((((((ditto))))))))))))))))))

Manderson
09-28-2011, 05:45 AM
Aw Ruz! I know anything to do with Craig's List can be a risk but could you maybe hire a cleaning person to help you? Maybe high school or college person would work for a flat hourly rate?

From a psychological standpoint, maybe having all the pets gone when she gets home will be hard on her? Could you leave the cats unless they are a burden to care for?

Best of luck!

tgal
09-28-2011, 05:57 AM
I hope you can find a time to rest soon. You getting sick will not help anyone

ruziska
09-28-2011, 09:12 PM
There may be an unexpected light soon: my daughter, my dear sweet gives me so much grief but I love her anyhow daughter who at the ripe old age of 18 thinks she understands the ways of the world (ah so young and naive) stopped by tonight crying and wanting to stay at Grandma's awhile. It seems as her room mates, both guys, one in particular has turned into a world class jerk and she can't stand it anymore.

Mom has a 3 bedroom, 2 bath and has plenty of room. Today the carpet cleaner was supposed to show up but got double booked and will be here tomorrow. In the meantime daughter and I cleaned out the living and dining rooms. 2 car loads of thrift shop donations and twice as much trash. Last night the couch went to the trash (believe me it was NOT worth salvaging thanks to the animals). A chair is going tomorrow for the same reason. Daughter has extra rocking chairs she planned on giving Mom anyhow to replace what we got rid of. There's also room for what little furniture daughter has of her own.

Am praying daughter stays with Mom long term. It is a win win for both of them. Daughter can barely afford living on her own as she makes minimum wage and doesn't work a full 40 hours/week. She'll have free rent in exchange for light housekeeping and keeping an eye on her grandma. She won't even have utilities and Grandma even has cable tv. With what she'll be saving in rent and utilities, she could get internet if she wants and she'll also have use of Grandma's car as Grandma won't be driving for awhile and even when she was well she rarely went anywhere. AND she can have her KITTENS that I've been babysitting. Those kittens are so much nicer and not wild insane maniacal devil cats like Grandma's that need to be elsewhere like on a ranch far from civilization. She'll also be able to keep the blind pomeranian that she has fallen in love with that she's been fostering for Grandma.

Like I said, a win for everyone.

You've all been so wonderful with your well wishes and prayers. May I ask now that you send up a prayer that daughter wants to stay indefinitely with Grandma? I know Mom will love having her there and they'll have memories that daughter will cherish the rest of her life. Thank you everyone!

steve.b
09-29-2011, 01:21 AM
it is good to see a silver line on your gloomy clouds.

look for the good......... (as suzie says).

leaann
09-29-2011, 06:13 AM
I can completely understand about your mom being in the hospital, my mom just got out of the hospital on Monday, this is her second time in less than 2 months. My mom doesn't know I have lupus so that makes it harder on me, but my dad thinks that it is a good idea that we not tell her. It is hard but I keep going. I also understand about having a daughter who thinks that she knows it all and how the world is, mine is 22 and for awhile she lived with my mom to help my parents out but we had to throw her out, she was more harm than good but I still love her. Hopefully your daughter will be more good than harm to your mother. Please take time to care for your self as you need the rest, I know it will be hard but we still have to make sure we are ok. If there is anything we can do please let us know. If you just want to talk just message me. I am here.
Take care.

Bonita
09-29-2011, 07:36 AM
i amso glad that your mom is out of the hospital and that things are beginning to fall into place. Hope you and your daughter get this all cleaned up but remember to rest and take care of your self. I just brought my mom home from hospital yesterday she is 82 and had a pacemaker put in in the last two years she fell and broke her hip had a complete hip replacement and had two breast cancer surgeries and radiation and now the pacemaker. It does take a strain on our health but it is something we have to do. Take care Bonita

ruziska
09-30-2011, 10:58 PM
Sad news: mom had a stroke today. Not a bad stroke as far as strokes go I guess. She's back in the hospital. She IS eating "pureed" food and drinking from a cup without a straw. She talks and is mostly understandable. I don't know what her prognosis is yet. Will talk to the doctor tomorrow.

Nonna
10-01-2011, 04:42 AM
It seems like it's pouring rain on you now. But remember it always seems to work out in the end. Whether by God's plan or Fate. We just keep going with our head held up high.

Or as Dory would say: "just keep swimming, just keep swimming"

Hugs Nonna