PDA

View Full Version : I will be taking some time off...

rob
09-24-2011, 08:16 AM
Hello Everyone,

I learned this morning, that my father has been diagnosed with lung cancer. We don't yet know what stage, or if it's operable. He's seeing the best Oncologist in the state first thing Monday morning, and we'll get the details, and begin to formulate a plan to beat this.

I need to focus all of my energy and effort on helping my Dad, and my family, so I will be taking some time off from WHL until I know better just how this is going to unfold. Dad is his usual steadfast and humorous self, reassuring us, when we should be reassuring him. He has quietly conquered every challenge that he has ever faced in his 74 years, and so it will be again.

Though I will be away, none of you will be far from my thoughts.

Rob

tgal
09-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Hello Everyone,

I learned this morning, that my father has been diagnosed with lung cancer. We don't yet know what stage, or if it's operable. He's seeing the best Oncologist in the state first thing Monday morning, and we'll get the details, and begin to formulate a plan to beat this.

I need to focus all of my energy and effort on helping my Dad, and my family, so I will be taking some time off from WHL until I know better just how this is going to unfold. Dad is his usual steadfast and humorous self, reassuring us, when we should be reassuring him. He has quietly conquered every challenge that he has ever faced in his 74 years, and so it will be again.

Though I will be away, none of you will be far from my thoughts.

Rob

You are a good man and you are doing exactly what you need to do. We can handle things as long as you need us to handle them (the folks around here are pretty good at making sure that there is nothing that needs to be taken care of). Focus on your family but don't forget to take care of yourself as well. You won't be there for others if you let yourself flare out. We love you and will be keeping your family in our thoughts.

As they say at Motel 6... We will keep the light on for ya

Manderson
09-24-2011, 10:18 AM
So very sorry to hear Rob. Went through it with my dad.

debbie-b
09-24-2011, 01:09 PM
I am sorry to hear that, Rob.
My sister was diagnosed with lung cancer last December. They took out 1/3 or so of her lung, she just finished the first round of chemo. The doctors told her, the one tumor they couldn't get with the surgery, has shrunk alot, it is almost gone. She is now supposed to start a second round, but a shorter one, to get this little speck of tumor, thats left.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Take care of your dad and yourself.

Debbie

debstar
09-24-2011, 02:51 PM
So sorry to hear Rob.

My thought and prayers are with you and your family for a speedy recovery for your Dad.

Debs

MaryS42
09-24-2011, 03:39 PM
Sorry to hear your news Rob I hope your dad will be ok and you take care also my own dad got diagnosed in June with a huge tumour on his kidney he has had surgery and is back home recovering he's 72 and although its a slow recovery everything is looking well so far don't lose hope take care M.x.

running girl
09-24-2011, 04:24 PM
Best wishes to you and your family.

red246
09-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Rob,
Please take care of yourself as well. Will keep you & your family in my prayers.

slim
09-25-2011, 12:28 AM
i am sorry you have to go through this so from someone whose dad was snatched away to quickly, i am rooting for a great outcome and you are in my thoughts. take care. slim

Nonna
09-25-2011, 01:49 AM
That's the light burning for you. Hugs and Good thoughts and prayers for your Dad.

BonusMom
09-25-2011, 08:35 PM
My heart hurts for you, Rob. Please let us know when you find out more.

Lung cancer sucks.

Bonita
09-27-2011, 06:00 AM
My prayers go out to you and your family please take care. Love Bonita

steve.b
09-27-2011, 06:02 AM
thinking of dad.

thinking of you.

hugging mum !!!!

Gizmo
09-27-2011, 07:36 AM
I'll be thinking about you and your family, Rob. We'll miss you and your straightforward messages, but you are definitely putting your priorities in the right place.

leaann
09-27-2011, 08:46 AM
thinking of you and your family, please take care of your self while seeing after your dad. I know how hard it is dealing with a sick parent, my mother diagnosed with cancer 2007,just know that we are all here for you and your dad.

giggle
09-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Take care of yourself as well Rob and I wish the very best for you both! Your Dad sounds like such a strong character.

rob
09-29-2011, 05:16 AM
Hi everyone,

First and foremost, My family and I want to thank all of you for the prayers, your kind words, and all the well wishes. In all of my years here, and in all of my families history, this is the single most difficult event that we have ever had to face. Your words of concern, your messages, mean so very much.

The situation as of today, is that it looks like the lung cancer has metastasized and has spread to Dad's thyroid. He's scheduled for a biopsy tomorrow to verify this. Although we don't know officially what stage the cancer is in, it's looking like it's at stage three. Not good, but it could be worse.

My parents have been married for 57 years, and not surprisingly, the news has hit my mother the hardest. She was devastated, but she's starting to gain resolve and focus, as are my sisters and I. We will do anything, and everything that my father needs in order to help him beat this.

Dad, in his matter of fact way, is simply saying it is what it is, and that he'll just have to deal with it. He is far more concerned about how this affects his family, than how it affects him. He underwent extensive heart surgery earlier this year, having 5 bypasses done. He recovered fully, and in record time. After all that, cancer doesn't scare him at all. I asked him what he felt when he was told it was cancer, and his answer was "Well, I was a little disappointed". The man has neverending courage.

As for me, the shock is slowly wearing off, and the reality of the situation is beginning to set in. It's taken everything I have to keep my composure and to put on my "gameface", but I'm getting better. I'll do whatever it takes to help my Dad and my family get through this.

Thank you all for the support, it really does make a difference.

Rob

debbie-b
09-29-2011, 05:29 AM
Hi Rob,

Your dad sounds like an amazing man. Your are amazing as well, the way you take care of your family. I am sure everybody is very proud of you.
I will keep praying for your family.

Debbie

BonusMom
09-29-2011, 06:59 AM
What a great role model you've had as a father and a husband. Your dad has faced his challenges with such dignity.

I am so impressed by the bond you share with your family, especially your dad, and that wouldn't have been made possible if not for this disease called Lupus and your living in Arizona.

I am so pleased that you are there to be with your family during this difficult time. You're going to need each other. I know you want to follow your dad's example by keeping that gameface on and keeping your composure, but it's very much ok to cry, Rob. In fact, a good cry feels pretty darn good!

Know that you're in my thoughts and close to my heart. I am so sorry your family is having to go through this.

kim,l
09-30-2011, 03:27 PM
i am so sorry rob please take care of yourself and my very best wishes and hugs for you and your father and the rest of your family

Gizmo
10-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the update, Rob. I'm so sorry that the news is not better, but your Dad has a great attitude and a great family, which is more than most people have. My thoughts are with you as you face this new challenge.

rob
10-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Update-

Dad has an extensive series of tests every day this week, and a couple more the week after. Then, on the 14th, we have the big appointment with the Oncologist where we find out what stage, what possible treatments will be used, and how far the cancer has metasticized.

Dad is having some chest pain in the general area of the upper lobe of the right lung, and is experiencing some shortness of breath. However, he is active and staying busy. He is in good spirits.

I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around all of this. The statistics and numbers on the long term prognosis and outcome of lung cancer isn't, well, it isn't very good. I wish I had never read that stuff. And the choices of treatment, or not, is a thing I cannot seem to accept. I mean, it's either some combination of surgery/chemo/radiation, or it's inoperable, and that's it. Dad is a big guy, and has always been physically strong and in great shape. The thought of him having chemo and/or radiation, and what that physically does to a person, makes me feel such fear for him.

For a couple of days, I actually had myself convinced that he doesn't have cancer, and that it's all a big mistake. It's just a smudge on the x-rays, or the cat/pet scans are wrong because the machines aren't properly calibrated, or the lab mixed up the biopsy samples, and on and on. I really believed it. I don't know what to make of that. I guess that's just what the mind does when it all becomes too much to take in and accept.

Some mornings I get up and totally forget about it all for 30 minutes, maybe an hour. Then I remember, and the questions of why, why him, begin. I'm trying to remain positive, and full of hope. I'm trying hard, but not doing a very good job of it.

rob

steve.b
10-03-2011, 12:57 AM
look in your lifes mirror.
not to many years ago, what dad has would have been fatal.
today, hopefully it is operable.

you and dad had a hard time dealing with your prognosis.
not a lot has changed, just the other foot this time.

there is unforunatelly no quick fix.
the outcome either way is far from ideal.

you and dad, do have each others love.
you and dad, do have an inbuilt strength.

we are all praying and offering our good thoughts and wishes for all of your family.

Nonna
10-03-2011, 03:36 AM
Rob
Steve is so right. Hugs to you. I've found over the years that things happen for a reason. We usually come out a stronger person. I wish I could say that love conquers all.

Be strong for your family; but take care of yourself.
Hugs and prayers for you and yours

rob
10-03-2011, 06:42 PM
look in your lifes mirror.
not to many years ago, what dad has would have been fatal.
today, hopefully it is operable.

you and dad had a hard time dealing with your prognosis.
not a lot has changed, just the other foot this time.

there is unforunatelly no quick fix.
the outcome either way is far from ideal.

you and dad, do have each others love.
you and dad, do have an inbuilt strength.

we are all praying and offering our good thoughts and wishes for all of your family.

All I can do after reading this Steve, is just nod my head, and say thank you my friend.

Thank all of you, so very much.

tgal
10-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Steve... it could not have said it any better if you tried. So very true

Saysusie
10-03-2011, 08:30 PM
So perfectly stated Steve...
Rob; I am so sorry that this is happening in your life and I truly understand the "why" questions. But, as Steve (and others) have mentioned, there are so many new treatments and modalities available now that were not available years ago. I also believe that your Dad's positive attitude, healthy lifestyle, and great physical condition will go a long way towards a more positive outcome. Not to mention the fact that he has the support and unending love of his family. You, yourself, know how important that fact alone can be the person dealing with an illness/disease. You are a loving, devoted and supportive son and you and your Dad have been each other's strength..I believe that this bond that you share will be what gives you both the strength you need to come through this trying time.
All of my prayers are with you and your family
always
Saysusie

BonusMom
10-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Rob-

Out of curiousity, does/did your Dad smoke?

I think I told you previously, my Dad was a heavy smoker and had emphasyema prior to his lung cancer diagnosis, so his SOB was "normal."

My lovely MIL kicked thyroid cancer's butt in 1961. Yep, she's also had a knock down, drag out fight with breast cancer. That old cancer has nothing on Mrs. C (that's Mrs. Cleaver thank-you-very-much).

I am very hopeful that your lovely Dad will look cancer square in the eye and tell it to bug off.

rob
10-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Rob-
Out of curiousity, does/did your Dad smoke?

Yes, he was a smoker, but not all the time and not at home. He would smoke when he was working (lotsa smokey bars), or when he had a drink or two, but then he'd go for months without smoking. He quit for good about 15 years ago.

So far, he's been doing all sorts of tests in preparation for the Oncologist appt. on the 14th. He says that other than a dull ache in his chest, and some shortness of breath, he feels fine. In fact, we're having a bit of Indian Summer here, and he wants to take the boat out this weekend. Get out and have some fun. That sounds pretty good to me.

Anyway, we're moving along taking it one day and one appointment at a time. Mari told me to think of this as an endurance race, rather than a sprint. It's good advice, and it really helps. (Thank you Mari)

It's funny, the least stressed least worried person in the whole family is Dad. He went and checked out the new cancer center where he'll be getting treated, and he says he's looking forward to going there because they have great food and hot nurses. That's classic Dad!

I'm starting to think that we can beat this thing.

Rob

BonusMom
10-06-2011, 11:38 AM
I asked if your Dad smoked because it seems like the prognosis is actually better for people who have smoked vs. non-smokers who get lung cancer. And, of course, those with a great attitude like your Dad fare much better than a Negative Nelly (like my Dad).

Take advantage of that Indian Summer and spend as much time outdoors with your family as you can. It's rained here the last couple of days, which is way too soon, in my opinion.

Keep up that fighting spirit!

tgal
10-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Bonus Mom, Thank you for being the opposite end of the 'does he smoke" question. The rest of my posts is NOT aimed at you.

My mom smoked and by the time she found out she had lung cancer it was already in her bones. There was nothing that pissed me off worse then people asking me if she smoked. By the time someone has cancer that question is usually moot. I always felt like that was the most hurtful thing people could do was say "well did she smoke?" like I needed to accept the fact that it was her fault.

Back when our parents started smoking there were no warnings on the side of the box. Smoking was part of being hip and grown. we now know that smoking is harmful but that wasn't always the case. It may not be needed to be said because this is a wonderful group of people but let me make it very clear... This thread is not, and WILL NOT, turn into a "he brought this on himself" thread. I know that when that is said it is usually only a question and not meant as hurtful as it is taken but I just wanted to make it clear that this thread is simply a thread of support for someone we admire and support during a difficult time.

I will edit posts or remove them if they ever get to a place where they could cause emotional harm to Rob or his family

BonusMom
10-06-2011, 01:03 PM
My mom smoked and by the time she found out she had lung cancer it was already in her bones. There was nothing that pissed me off worse then people asking me if she smoked. By the time someone has cancer that question is usually moot. I always felt like that was the most hurtful thing people could do was say "well did she smoke?" like I needed to accept the fact that it was her fault.

Back when our parents started smoking there were no warnings on the side of the box. Smoking was part of being hip and grown. we now know that smoking is harmful but that wasn't always the case.

Where's the "Like" button?

rob
10-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Hi everyone,

Dad had two fairly important tests involving lung capacity and oxygen in the blood, and he passed with flying colors. The Dr. said he's a 75 year old in a 50 year old body. Each and every test so far has had a positive result, and all together, little by little, these are pointing towards a high probability of not only beating this, but also of never having it return as well.

It's Indian Summer here in this little corner of New England, and the weather is 80f without a cloud in the sky today, and it will be the same tomorrow. So, we have our boat fueled up, and ready to go on a trip tomorrow. It will be Mom and Dad, sisters, brothers in law, my girl, and me. Pretty much the whole family. We're going to sail down the coast a couple of hours to the port of Belfast, and we're going to our favorite pub right on the waterfront for dinner and drinks. The scenery along the way is spectacular. I've sailed this particular route dozens of times, yet it never gets old, and I always see something new that I didn't notice before. I'll pilot on the trip down, and since I plan on indulging in a few pints of Guinness once we're there, Dad will pilot on the trip back. Can't have a tipsy Captain after all.

We were all over at my parents house yesterday, and Dad took the opportunity to tell us all his philosophy on the whole cancer issue.

It's pretty simple, and I quote-

"F**k it, I can beat this. Now let's go have some fun!"

Works for me! The fear, gloom, and depression we have all been living with since we first got the news is becoming less and less everyday, and I see confidence and resolve in my families eyes, and they say they see it in me as well. My denial is gone too. I've accepted this. I know things will get worse before they get better, and that there is a battle ahead, but I honestly believe that he will beat this. I couldn't look you in the eye and truthfully say that last week, but I can now.

Needless to say, for the first time in what seems like a very long time, I feel happy. I feel good mentally, and physically.

Tomorrow is going to be awesome!

Rob

Manderson
10-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Rob - sounds like we have the same dads. Mine was very much from the "it is what it is" school of thought. My dad was dx'ed right away with Stage 3, had surgery to remove what they could of the tumor but it was too close to the pericardium of the heart, so they were only able to get so close. They shaved away as much as possible, but couldn't get it all.

My dad also had a couple of bypass surgeries as well as other surgeries here and there for various things. He recovered like a man half his age. One thing dad complained alot about during lung CA tx was the radiation. Two bouts of chemo he breezed through, but rad was another thing. Sounds like you are very close (emotionally as well as geographically) to your parents. Go to all his oncology appts if at all possible. Mine were living in FL when dad was dx'ed and I was in Chicago. Luckily his oncologist kept me in the loop with phone calls and emails when I wasn't able to get down there. Another problem we had was english as a second language for both mom and dad. Having a medical background, I would get the call(s) from the docs and then translate into easy to understand terms for mom and dad. I used to dread it because as the news got worse, I had to explain it to them.

One website I found that I got alot from was the Cancer Care organization: cancercare.org They have awesome, caring communities that are moderated by medical social workers.

Anyway, just to let you know I've been where you are pretty recently Rob so if you need someone to bounce anything off or to just listen and understand, I'm here.

BonusMom
10-08-2011, 08:46 PM
@Rob-Enjoy your day on the water with your family, take lots of pictures and enjoy your Guinness, Captain--aye!

Saysusie
10-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Rob; A 75 yr old in a 50 yr old body....outstanding!! I am so happy to hear that you and your family are resolved and positive and I absolutely love your Dad's philosophy about the entire ordeal!

I hope that you have a wonderful day on your boat, at the pub, and just being all together. Sending you warm hugs :-)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

rob
10-11-2011, 07:09 AM
Sounds like you are very close (emotionally as well as geographically) to your parents. Go to all his oncology appts if at all possible.

Manderson,

Yes, we are very close on both counts, and I will be going to all of the Oncologist appointments. My immediate family all live within about 20 miles of each other. Mom and Dad's house is a quick 15 minute drive into town. Thank you for the information Manderson. As things progress, I may run a few things by you if I need to, since you've been there already. I appreciate that very much.

Everyone,

Anyway, we had a great day Sunday. Everything was perfect. The weather, the currents and wind, the food and drink and the company all came together for a day to remember. Dad is as happy and as positive as I have ever seen him. We talked quite a bit. It's clear that I will be temporarily taking the lead as "man of the family" for a while after things get started with treatment/surgery. It's an odd feeling, because I'm the "baby" of the family by quite a substantial margin. But, I did it when Dad had the bypass surgery, and I can do it again with what's coming.

Thank you all for all of your kind words, and concern. Part of the reason I'm able to stand up, and have the right state of mind to deal with all of this, is because of all of you. I appreciate each and every one of you!

Rob

rob
10-14-2011, 09:52 AM
Hi Everyone,

Today is the big day. I just returned from Dad's first appointment with the Oncologist.

The Doctor entered the room with a big smile, and told us that he had good news. Then he said three words-

"This, is curable"

The cancer is very, very early Stage 1 with no sign of it spreading at all. They will surgically remove it, and do a round of mild Chemo after. The chances of being alive and cancer free after 5 years is 90%. With lung cancer, that is rare, but Dad is outstanding physical shape for his age, and the tumor is really small, and has not metastacized at all.

This is the absolute best news we could have hoped for, and words cannot describe just how happy, and relieved we all are. Today, I was calm, composed, and had my "gameface" on. I could not have been this way today were it not for all of the kind words, encouragement, and prayers from all of you folks. You guys gave me much of the strength I needed to face this, and in doing that, it allowed me to pass that strength on to my family, and help them.

Thank you all!

Rob

BonusMom
10-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Fantastic news!

tgal
10-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Let's all do the happy dance here!! Whoooooooo hoooooo! Great news!

red246
10-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Rob,
That is the best news ever! So happy for you and your family. (((hugs)))

debbie-b
10-14-2011, 12:26 PM
The best news, I have heard in a long time.
I am very happy for you and your family. That is a reason to celebrate and if you do, have a drink for me, but on your liver, because mine is to grouchy.
This is so awesome.

Debbie

rob
10-14-2011, 01:38 PM
That is a reason to celebrate and if you do, have a drink for me,

I'm having one for you right now, and I may just have one or two for each of you before the evening is over.

This is such a strange experience. When I first started this thread, it was at such a low, and frightening point for my family and I. And now today, it's a sensation of having this incredible weight lifted from our shoulders.

Having one of the worst days ever for all of us followed up a few short weeks later by such triumph and joy, is just mind boggling. What a day it's been. I got to call quite a few family and friends this afternoon to relay the good news. I was fully prepared to deliver the worst news possible if that was what we learned today. To be able to relay such extraordinarily good news to so many, is a feeling of elation that I will never forget.

Rob

Gizmo
10-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Rob, that is incredible news! Truly amazing and fantastic. While the road ahead will still be a little bumpy, you can be fairly certain that you will all be there together when it is over. I am so happy for you!

BonusMom
10-14-2011, 05:58 PM
I'm having one for you right now, and I may just have one or two for each of you before the evening is over.
Rob

Please have a few for me. It's been a while since I've tied one on and Lord knows I need the stress relief!!! And, since you've bellied up to the bar and made yourself comfy, you might as well have a drink on me, as the song goes.

This is such fantastic news, Rob. We are all raising our glasses (milk, water, juice, soda, etc.) and celebrating your family's good fortune. Here! Here!

steve.b
10-15-2011, 03:49 AM
no operation is ever good news ..............
but this is definetally the best of a bad situation.

i hope dad fares well through the ordeal.
he will have some bad times with the chemo.
(my father inlaw hdied from throat cancer)
(he had 3 extra years because of the chemo)

i am definetally happy for you.

have an extra shot for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Manderson
10-15-2011, 05:52 AM
Oh what a relief! I am so happy for you and yours!

rob
10-15-2011, 07:52 AM
Please have a few for me. It's been a while since I've tied one on and Lord knows I need the stress relief!!! And, since you've bellied up to the bar and made yourself comfy, you might as well have a drink on me, as the song goes.

My head=OUCH

Jose Cuervo is not a friend of mine...

Nonna
10-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Wonderful news, big hugs
Wooooo hoooooooooooo. Whooooooppp whhhhooopp

Saysusie
10-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Hey..this is a hangover that is well worth the pain!! I can't be more happier for you, your Dad and your entire family! Nurse that Jose Cuervo head and remember the joyous reason why it is there!!
Doin' The Happy Dance Now!!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Carlotta

magistramarla
10-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Rob,
Wow! Every time I go out of town big things happen around here. I've just finished reading this thread, and I went through all of your emotions with you while reading.
I am so relieved that your Dad got good news. With his attitude and stamina, I'm sure that he will come through it well.
Don't forget to take care of yourself while you are taking care of him.
Hugs,
Marla

rob
10-31-2011, 04:55 PM
Hi everyone,

We've had a setback. The surgery to remove the lung tumor scheduled for last Friday was cancelled, and instead ,the Dr. did an exploratory procedure to look at Dad's Lymph Nodes next to the right lung. They found a tumor in one of the lymph nodes so they did a biopsy on a sample, and it's malignant.

Last week we were looking at surgery to excise the lung tumor, and the possibility of no chemo or radiation at all. Now, Dad will be doing both chemo and radiation for two months before they will consider doing surgery. The lung tumor is still a Stage 1, which is a very, very good thing. They think the cancer in the lymph node is something separate from the lung tumor, meaning they still don't think the lung cancer has spread.

I didn't know a person could have two separate and completely different kinds of cancer at the same time. Or maybe I knew and I just put it out of my mind. Or maybe I'm just confused, I don't know.

The lung cancer is still curabe, but we don't know what the lymph tumor really means for the overall prognosis yet.

We all thought the lung cancer was it, and that there would not be anything else to deal with. I was wrong to get my families hopes up so high. I was wrong to let myself get my hopes up so high. F**king cancer.

Rob

Nonna
10-31-2011, 06:50 PM
Rob, I had think stop and think about this first. I want to be encouraging. Yes your Dad's had a setback. But that doesn't necessarily mean you have to give up your hopes. It's a step backward for the four steps forward. That's the way life usually is . Forward and backward, backward and forward. But remember forward usually wins out. Yes "F" cancer. But you need Hope more; you need to be positive for yourself, but more importantly you need to be positive for your Dad.

I'm praying real hard. My thoughts and prayer are with you all
Toni

steve.b
10-31-2011, 07:53 PM
having chemo and radiation can be very benificial for the lung cancer also.

shrinking and holding the lung cancer is good.
it helps encase it where is it.

my father had to have 1/2 of his lung removed for cancer.
i know what the risks are.
having chemo and radiation first is a positve.

it will delay the eventual removal, but it is still a positive.

and if it stops other cancers at the same time ... good, great, all the better.
this is a time setback not an outcome setback.

magistramarla
10-31-2011, 07:59 PM
Hey there Rob,
Just so you know - we're all thinking about you and your family. Many good thoughts are going out to you from many parts of the world.
Love & Gentle Hugs,
Marla

debbie-b
11-01-2011, 04:40 AM
Hi Rob,

Please stay positive, it will benefit you and your Dad.
It is a very positive sign, that the cancer is stage one.
My sisters lung cancer was stage 3 and lookes very good right now, she is not quite out of the woods yet, but it lookes good. The tumor has shrunk by 98% and she is not done with the chemo yet. It is very incouraging.
Keep your spirits up. My prayers are with you and your family.

Debbie

rob
11-01-2011, 07:27 AM
Hi everyone,

As you can probably tell, I was pretty angry, and maybe a little irrational when I posted the latest update. During a crisis, I believe fear and anger are contagious, so I don't show either to my family right now. I told them all that this is definitely a setback, but it's not a huge one. I don't know if that's entirely accurate, but it's what everyone needed to hear for now, until we get to the next step and learn more of what's to come.

You guys get to hear from the part of me that I don't show to my family right now. It's not pretty, so it means even more to me that you folks choose to read my words, and respond with such sincere, and encouraging messages.

Steve, you are absolutely correct in your breakdown of the facts, and that is exactly what I needed to hear this morning to steer me back on track.

Dad is still showing little, if any apprehension in regards to the whole situation. He's really just pissed off because this thing throws a wrench into his plans for upcoming projects and trips. He lives for projects, and we always have two or three big ones going at any one time, be it a car restoration, working on our respective houses, or adding a new workbench or machine to the garage (AKA-The Man Cave) we share. If he can't work on his stuff, he gets cranky, and tends to bug the heck out of Mom. It's funny to watch, as they both like to laugh and kid each other about it.

When I logged in here this morning, and saw all the responses and messages from you all, it really lifted me up, and gave me a much needed boost. I hope that if and when the tables are turned, that I can do the same for all of you, and return the favor.

Thank you all,

Rob

Bonita
11-01-2011, 08:28 AM
My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family radiation and chemo can be a very hard thing to go through but thank God for the miracles of technology and do not ever give up hope love and prayers Bonita

rob
11-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Dad was just here to visit, and we talked about the chemo/radiation therapy.

He said that he's been sick to his stomach, emaciated, and freezing cold with chills before when he spent the better part of a year with dysentery freezing in a foxhole in Korea as an Infantryman in the USMC. The difference this time, is that nobody will be shooting at him. So, no problem.

They say there is no such thing as a former Marine. I believe that to be true.

Rob

sharpiessave
11-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Dad was just here to visit, and we talked about the chemo/radiation therapy.

He said that he's been sick to his stomach, emaciated, and freezing cold with chills before when he spent the better part of a year with dysentery freezing in a foxhole in Korea as an Infantryman in the USMC. The difference this time, is that nobody will be shooting at him. So, no problem.

They say there is no such thing as a former Marine. I believe that to be true.

Rob

Holy crap, Rob; I wanna be best friends with your dad. I have this gut feeling that there are about a thousand things we'd disagree vehemently on, but I still want us to wear matching BFF lockets and braid each other's hair. The man tickles me pink.

Sharpie

Saysusie
11-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Rob; I am so sorry to hear about this set back and I think that Steve's information was spot on. Your Dad is a very strong and, otherwise, healthy man with an unending supply of positivity. I believe that the chemotherapy first will have positive results and you will all be able to move forward.
I am glad that you feel safe in venting your emotions here because we all do genuinely care about you and your family. We will be here with you and for you throughout this entire ordeal.
As I've mentioned to you before, I think that your Dad is AWESOME!! I love his practical, forthright, and positive attitude about everything. Both you and he rock!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

rob
11-09-2011, 07:57 AM
UPDATE:

Hi Everyone,

Dad starts chemo and radiation on Monday. It will be five days a week, for five weeks. Then the Dr. will re-asess whether he is a good candidate for surgery to remove the lung tumor. Not exactly the slam-dunk victory we had thought this would be after that first Oncologist visit. There is cancer in the lung, a couple of lymph nodes, and in the thyroid. So, on Monday, the gameface goes back on for all of us.

Dad, as always, is in remarkably good spirits and is as active as he always is.

Thank you everyone for all the support,

Rob

kim,l
11-09-2011, 03:41 PM
dear rob i am sorry your father has to go through this my thoughts are with you and your dad hugs

debbie-b
11-10-2011, 05:08 AM
Thinking about you and your dad.

Debbie

running girl
11-10-2011, 04:05 PM
All the best Rob.

jmail
11-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Hey Rob! Your dad has the correct attitude. When I had my cancer, that's most of what I heard, was "attitude". Keep the chin up, and help kick it (the cancer) in the nutz. "Damn the torpedoes - Full speed ahead!" I'd point you and your family at that book again, if I could remember where I posted about that... but it took me *days* just to remember my log-in, then *weeks* (it seems) to remember my password here... lolol - Anyway, the book is about using the Mediterranean Diet to help fight cancer. You increase the "good" foods, and lower or eliminate the "bad" foods, so that your body fights even harder. 'Course, I can't hold to a diet for more than three hours, so who am I to have you tell your dad about a particular way to eat, especially with him being a Marine... which brings me to: my dad says to tell your dad "Hey!" and that he helped give many a gyrene-jarhead a ride to the Inchon "beach resort" in Uncle Sam's 'boats'. "Semper Fi" he says, even though he's 7th Fleet Navy (WWII & Korea) and hauled more than a few off to the hoosegow in the Phillipines in '44-45 (SP after the landings)... lolol - He's an 86 year old cancer survivor (prostate - 24 years, now)...

rob
11-11-2011, 01:56 AM
Hey Rob! Your dad has the correct attitude. When I had my cancer, that's most of what I heard, was "attitude". Keep the chin up, and help kick it (the cancer) in the nutz. "Damn the torpedoes - Full speed ahead!" I'd point you and your family at that book again, if I could remember where I posted about that... but it took me *days* just to remember my log-in, then *weeks* (it seems) to remember my password here... lolol - Anyway, the book is about using the Mediterranean Diet to help fight cancer. You increase the "good" foods, and lower or eliminate the "bad" foods, so that your body fights even harder. 'Course, I can't hold to a diet for more than three hours, so who am I to have you tell your dad about a particular way to eat, especially with him being a Marine... which brings me to: my dad says to tell your dad "Hey!" and that he helped give many a gyrene-jarhead a ride to the Inchon "beach resort" in Uncle Sam's 'boats'. "Semper Fi" he says, even though he's 7th Fleet Navy (WWII & Korea) and hauled more than a few off to the hoosegow in the Phillipines in '44-45 (SP after the landings)... lolol - He's an 86 year old cancer survivor (prostate - 24 years, now)...

Hey there Jmail,

It's good to see you back! So, your dad is 86, and a cancer survivor. That is awesome. Hearing about people my dad's age or older who have beaten cancer really helps me stay positive through all this.

If memory serves, the 7th fleet took part in the battle of Leyte Gulf, the largest naval battle of WWII. Your dad has been around! When Korea kicked off, It's possible that my dad was on the same boat as your dad during the Inchon landings.

I didn't realize that you are a cancer survivor as well. Did you have to do the full chemo/radiation regimen? If so, what was it like?

Rob

magistramarla
11-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Hey Rob,
I'm thinking about you and your Dad.
Hang in there, and let us know how he is doing.
Gentle Hugs,
Marla

red246
11-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Rob,

Sorry to hear about the setback. Sending lots of good thoughts & prayers!

Saysusie
11-12-2011, 04:49 PM
ROB;
I am still keeping you, your Dad and your family in my prayers. I am so glad to hear that he maintains his positive attitude and I know that you are doing the same, in the best way that you can.
Sending you warm hugs!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

jmail
11-14-2011, 11:59 AM
... Hearing about people my dad's age or older who have beaten cancer really helps me stay positive through all this.

If memory serves, the 7th fleet took part in the battle of Leyte Gulf, the largest naval battle of WWII. Your dad has been around! When Korea kicked off, It's possible that my dad was on the same boat as your dad during the Inchon landings.

I didn't realize that you are a cancer survivor as well. Did you have to do the full chemo/radiation regimen? If so, what was it like?..
It's good to be *able* to be back... lolol But yeah, my dad was on one of those big LST-type boats that were going to take the brunt of the attack when the "tin cans" came in an saved the day. My wife's uncle and his cousin were on two different destroyer escorts in that same battle. Small world. I'll have to ask my dad which vessel he was on for the Inchon landings. He doesn't talk much about Korea. I do remember him telling me about having to transport wounded soldiers and marines... btw, be sure and tell your dad "Thanks" again for all of us, would you? thanks.

As to my cancer experience, I had seminoma, and had my right testicle removed as part of the treatment, then a "test" dose of chemo so that they could study my body's reaction to it for that just-in-case scenario, then I did 6 weeks of two different kinds of radiation therapy. We used to joke (the techs & other patients) about the treatments being our version of a "tanning booth"... Only that the techs didn't know how to set the lamps to the correct settings, and that we'd probably get "sun burned". A person's skin does get pretty well "burned", and and it does blister, but better than the alternative... tic. I've been over twenty years cancer-free myself. CVID is probably the root-cause of my cancer.

My dad had his prostate gland removed and then did a combination chemo-radiation therapy. I don't recall his chemo drug (nor mine, for that matter), but he did it like once a week, and the radiation once a day for 6 weeks. He lost most of his body hair, and got sick a couple of times immediately after his chemo days.

My sister has Waldenstrom's, which is a non-Hodgkins lymphoma, and she did a full-round of chemo last year, where she did one kind of drug on Mondays, another every other Wednesday, and then a 3rd one once a month on Fridays, with blood work once a week to follow her progresss. She's now in remission. She supposedly never got sick to her stomach (she always was a braggart), but the meds they give a person with the chemo are better now than they used to be (supposedly).

All in all, the treatment can be a mother bear with cubs nearby, mauling the patient, but so far as I know, there aren't too many alternatives. My thoughts when I got the news that I had cancer were, "what are my options", "what are my chances", and "I ain't giving up without a fight". Granted, my cancer was an "easy" one, comparatively speaking, but the fellow that started his treatment at the same time as me, died. He didn't go for the "radical.." whatever-it's-name-is, surgery that I had. In other words, he didn't do all he could in the fight. Not only that, he didn't have the family support that I did, for which I am most grateful. It all can make a difference, especially if one can find humor, even if it is "gallow's humor", in the situation... Best wishes and prayers for you, your dad, and your family.

Nonna
11-18-2011, 03:00 AM
Hi Rob, thinking about you and your Dad, lots of loving hugs being sent your way

magistramarla
11-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Hi Rob,
Thinking about you and your family. I hope that you are having a good weekend.
Hugs,
Marla

Saysusie
11-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Hi Rob;
I am thinking of you, your Dad and your family. Just checking in on you and praying that you are all OK.

Always
Saysusie

Angel Oliver
11-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Thinking of you and your dad. Gentle hugs.

love
Amanda.xx

rob
11-25-2011, 08:06 AM
Hi Guys,

So far, Dad is tolerating the treatments, but he's feeling pretty rough. It's to be expected. The radiation gives him a sore throat, but no problems swallowing at this point. That may still happen. We've been pretty well prepared in regards to what to expect. Things will get worse before they get better, but they WILL get better.

We celebrated Thanksgiving early, on last Saturday, because of the treatment schedule, and we had a great Thanksgiving together. Dad was in fine spirits, and his famous sense of humor was the best it's been in recent memory. For the entire day, the word cancer was never mentioned, and I completely forgot about it for the entire day. I think everyone else did too. I hope they did.

As for me, I'm doing whatever needs to be done to help my family get through this. I'll worry about myself later. Karen has been my rock.

That's it for now. As always, thank you all for being here, and for being so supportive.

I hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving,

Rob

Manderson
11-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Rob - rad therapy was the worst for my dad. even after he completed it and had moved on to chemo, he still complained. He said it felt like he had been sunburnt from the inside out.

Hang in there Rob & family. Good thoughts to you and yours.

magistramarla
11-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Hi Rob,
I'm so glad to hear that your family had a good holiday and that you are keeping each other's spirits up.
I hope that your Dad keeps right on conquering this thing.
You should take some time to take care of yourself, too. Don't let a flare sneak up on you.
We're all here supporting you and your family.
Hugs,
Marla

Gizmo
11-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Rob, I'm with Marla, you need to take care of yourself, too. A time may come when your dad needs to rely on you more than he does now. If you are sick, it will just make the situation worse. It sounds like your dad is doing OK, so give him one less thing to worry about and put yourself first sometimes.

Linda From Australia
11-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Things will get worse before they get better, but they WILL get better.

Dad was in fine spirits, and his famous sense of humor was the best it's been in recent memory. For the entire day, the word cancer was never mentioned, and I completely forgot about it for the entire day.

It is terrible being sick, but at times, it is extremely hard to see someone you love being so sick. I am pleased to hear that everyone forgot about your dad being sick for a day. That would have made him feel a bit like old times, prediagnosis. I treasure the times where I can spend precious moments with my family just doing the things we love, laughing and having fun. It reminds me of who I am, not of whatever sickness that has overtaken me.

Continue having fun with your dad Rob, he will appreciate it.

rob
11-28-2011, 06:53 PM
We received some news today.

Further imaging and biopsies show that the cancer has spread further than what was first thought. The initial diagnosis was stage 1. Today, the oncologist told us that the cancer stage has been re-classified to stage 3a.

The chemo/radiation was initially supposed to be for five weeks. Now, it will run through to the end of January, and the potency of the chemo and radiation will be higher now that it's stage 3a.

It's doubtful that Dad will be a candidate for surgery at this point.

Today is the first time I have seen Dad really shaken and down since all of this started.

rob

running girl
11-28-2011, 06:59 PM
I so sorry to hear this news Rob. Your Dad sounds like an amazing man with a great attitude. I wish him a speedy recovery. Take care.
Brenda

steve.b
11-28-2011, 07:00 PM
remind your dad......
it is important to win the war.
he might loose a battle along the way......
but the end result is really all that matters.

it is not uncommon to go forward and backwards in this type of fight.
keep your eyes on the end goal.

i saw my step father fight for over 3 years in his battle.
not bad when they suggested he was already finished.

3 years of enjoying every day, with his loved one.

please keep your eye on the end goal.

Saysusie
11-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Oh Rob; I can hear the fear and sadness in your post. I cannot tell you how this news has shaken me and I know it must be devastating to you and your family.
I have no words to express my feelings, I pray that you will find strength and comfort, that your Dad does also and that hope endures within all of your hearts.
Always with love and payers
Saysusie

kim,l
11-28-2011, 07:24 PM
dear rob i am so sorry for your latest news hugs to you and your father. please take care of yourself my friend

BonusMom
11-28-2011, 07:42 PM
I cannot even begin to tell you how sorry I am to hear about this setback.

I thought I was out of tears today, just handling the things that I needed to, but this post put me over the proverbial edge. Now, I've got snot on the back of my sleeve, along with a fine mixture of tears and mascara.

Merry F'ing Christmas.

rob
11-29-2011, 06:19 AM
I don't know why it has to be this way. We were shocked when Dad got the initial diagnosis of stage 1 cancer, but we quickly got past the shock and we had every reason to think this cancer would just be a minor bump in the road.

Then they tell us it's spread, and that Dad would have 5 weeks of chemo/radiation and then surgery to remove the tumor in the lung. OK, that was a setback, but not a major one, we could accept that.

And now, now it's far worse than anyone expected. The average life expectancy for people with stage 3a lung cancer is only 15 months and the chances of still being alive in five years is only 23%. Once again we have to accept more bad news, and try to adjust and cope with it. When does it end? What's next? Will we find out next week that it's stage 4 and Dad only has a few months left?

For the first time, I saw genuine despair in my Dad. You could see it, you could hear it in his voice. The usual positive outlook and sense of humor wasn't there anymore. I don't know what to say to him. I don't know how to maintain hope at this point. He had so many things working in his favor when this first started, but slowly those things are being stripped away one after another.

kim,l
11-29-2011, 02:51 PM
i am sorry rob i wish i could be there for you i lost my father 7 years ago to complications from heart surgery and my aunty just recently from cancer. it is hard to know what to say we just tried with my aunt to carry on as much as normal and enjoy every moment we spent with her. i will have your father and you in my thoughts. and hope for a good result for you next week. hang in there my friend and please take care of yourself i worry for your health to very big hugs.

magistramarla
11-29-2011, 10:16 PM
Rob,
I've just now caught up with this news, and I am so sorry! It has been a real roller coaster ride for you and your family.
If anyone can beat the odds, your Dad is the type to do it. Just take one day at a time, support him through all of his treatments, and cherish every bit of time that you have together.
Hang in there, friend. We're all here for you when you need us.
Gentle Hugs,
Marla

debbie-b
11-30-2011, 07:39 AM
Rob,

I hate to hear that. I am really sorry, that you received such bad news.
I know exactly how you feel, as I told you that my sister in Germany is going through the same thing right now. She was diagnosed with lung cancer last Christmas. She had surgery in January, they took half of her lung out, but didn't get everything. The tumor that was left, was the size of a fifty cent piece and is now during the second round of chemo, smaller than a lentil bean. The doctor is very hopeful. I have asked her what stage she was diagnosed with, but she didn't know what I was talking about, they do it differently in Germany. My guess is, they don't do the tage thing, like we do here in the USA.
I talked to her a few days ago and she sounds very positive, but said the chemo is kicking her butt. She also said, that the chemo is helping and that makes it all worth it.
I am wishing you and your family the best and hope that you too will get some good news soon.

Debbie

rob
11-30-2011, 01:10 PM
We've had some unusually warm, beautiful weather here the past few days. In the 60's. Dad and I share the garage at my house, where we work on our latest car restoration or model airplane projects, so it's not unusual to wake up to the sounds of him out there working on one of his cars. But it was unusual to wake up to the sound of an air wrench today, given what's been going on with Dad, and the fact that the roll up doors should be closed because it should be in the 30's, not the 60's.

So, I get up, and look out to see him out there on the creeper under his "Baby" turning wrenches and working on things. I go out and ask him what the frak he's doing. He tells me the last time he went for a drive, the rear suspension was adjusted wrong, and that he's making some re-adjustments. OK, but my question was more along the lines of you are sick, you should be resting, what the heck are you doing?

He said he got up today, felt great, and decided to come out and do what he loves to do. He said he's disappointed with the new prognosis, and does not like the new heavier treatment schedule one damn bit, but that he's accepted it. He knows there are some hard days ahead, but if he wakes up feeling good, he's gonna do what he loves to do, and that's restoring classic automobiles.

We did our first restoration project together way back when I was 13 years old. It was a 57 Chevy Bel Air two-door hardtop that had been sitting in a farmers field for years. A real basket case. After about three years of work, that car ended up in a pictorial feature in Hot Rod Magazine, a "Reader's Ride of the Month" kind of article. It was an awesome car when it was finally finished. Dad's attention to detail is just amazing, he really knows his stuff.

There are so many good memories, so many adventures. It was really, really good to see him having some fun today.

Rob

steve.b
11-30-2011, 06:11 PM
dad at his best.

enjoying life.

Desleywr
11-30-2011, 06:37 PM
It is wonderful that you have the opportunity to have these moments with your Dad! Love to All

Nonna
11-30-2011, 06:41 PM
What a wonderful Dad you have; prayers and hugs to you both a dthe rest of your loved ones

kim,l
11-30-2011, 07:43 PM
i am glad rob enjoy those moments both you and your father are strong willed people you only have to look at what you are both going through may you have many more wonderful days just like this hugs,

magistramarla
12-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Rob,
It was a real joy to read that your Dad is back at it, working on his car. Getting out there and working together will probably be the best therapy for both of you.
Enjoy every minute of it.
Hugs,
Marla

rob
12-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Earlier today, Dad felt faint and went into a severe atrial fibrilation, which is a rapid irregular heartbeat. He was immediately transported to the ER at Eastern Maine Med Center. His radiation treatments have been temporarily put on hold so the cardiac Doc can do a procedure where they shock the heart muscle in order to reset the heartbeat and make it regular again.

He's been admitted to the cardiac care unit where he had his heart bypasses done earlier this year. He is stable and just waiting for a room, which he should be in by the time I get back over there. I'm home to grab my daily meds, feed the cats, and turn on some lights. I'll be headed back over to EMMC shortly. I'll let you all know what I can when I am able.

Rob

steve.b
12-06-2011, 07:33 PM
hugs
hugs
hugs

rob
12-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Dad is stable, has a room in the cardiac care unit, and is comfortable. He'll be doing a bunch of stress tests/heart related tests tomorrow. We're taking shifts, so at least one of us will be there at all times.

The setbacks just keep on happening. It's just one thing after another. Why him. He deserves better than this.

Saysusie
12-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Rob, I am so happy to hear that your Dad is stable. In so many ways, you are just like him (when you have good days and feel well, you are outside somewhere doing what you love to do). Your Dad is one of a kind and such a special person. You are blessed to have so many special andd wonderful moments with him. Please take care of yourself and know that we care so much for you, your Dad and your family.
Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

BonusMom
12-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Saysusie said it so well, Rob.

There's nothing I can add except my thoughts are with you and your family. You're not alone, my friend.

kim,l
12-06-2011, 10:26 PM
oh rob i am so sorry your father is going through this my thoughts and a great big cyber hug for you and your dad.

debbie-b
12-07-2011, 04:31 AM
Rob,

I am glad to hear, that your dad is stable.
Praying that things will get better for him.
Take care of yourself.

Debbie

rob
12-07-2011, 08:59 AM
There's been no change in his status since last night, he's still stable.

It's my "shift", so I'm heading back to the hospital for the afternoon.

Manderson
12-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Dad is stable, has a room in the cardiac care unit, and is comfortable. He'll be doing a bunch of stress tests/heart related tests tomorrow. We're taking shifts, so at least one of us will be there at all times.

The setbacks just keep on happening. It's just one thing after another. Why him. He deserves better than this.

Rob, I am sorry. It's the nature of the beast. Cancer sucks and that's all I have to say about that. My dad also had cardiac issues way before his CA dx. And it was the cardiac that took him away in the end. Be strong Rob. This is really rough and I mean horribly so. And you being so close - I don't know if it's better or worse. Most of the time I was in Chicago while Dad was in FL so I was not there on a day-to-day basis; instead I saw him sporadically and each time I saw him, I died a little inside. Maybe it would have been easier if I was down there and dealt with daily. I don't know.

Be there; it's really all my dad wanted. Best wishes, Rob and family.

magistramarla
12-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Rob,
I'm so sorry to read about still another setback for your Dad. I hope that he continues to have his great attitude and just pushes on through this setback.
I hope that you are taking care of yourself, too.
You and your Dad are often in my thoughts.
Gentle Hugs,
Marla

jmail
12-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Hugs, prayers & best wishes for you and your Marine, Rob.

Nonna
12-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Hugs and prayers and more Hugs

rob
12-09-2011, 07:23 AM
Hi guys,

Dad is still in the cardiac care unit. They are still working on getting his heart rhythm more consistent. When he was taken to the ER, his resting pulse was 150 beats per minute. They have the beats per minute back down to about 80, so that's one good thing.

The Dr. has determined that it's the chemo drugs that triggered the irregular heartbeat. He's had to skip radiation treatments, and he cannot do any chemo at this point. They are working on a combination of meds that will hopefully keep the irregular heartbeat controlled so he can do the chemo. The effects of no chemo on his overall prognosis, well, it would not be good.

There have been discussions with the Dr. and staff of the realities of the situation, about end of life issues. Dad says he has accepted things, and that he's OK with things. He said if he was 40 years old, he'd be devastated, angry. But he says that since he is 75 and has lived a full and wonderful life, he's OK with it all.

He has indeed lived an extraordinary life. You would have to write a book to chronicle all he has done, and that's something we are working on.

He's not giving up, we're not giving up, but with each setback and complication, the prognosis gets worse. There are some harsh realities to face. I'm having a difficult time facing them. My "calm" exterior finally cracked, and I guess you could say I broke down a bit the night before last. The tears just would not stop. The next day I went out to run a few errands, and go grocery shopping, and I could not maintain my composure, and I found myself yet again unable to hold back the tears. I abandoned my half full shopping cart, and just left and went home. I've never had this happen before.

rob

BonusMom
12-09-2011, 07:39 AM
Rob-

Thanks for keeping us updated.

I sincerely hope the docs can find the perfect combo that treats and knocks out the cancer while sparing the heart.

I wish I had something profound to say besides I'm thinking of you and your family. Alas, that's all I've got at this early hour.

steve.b
12-10-2011, 12:29 AM
it is in these hard decisions, that you see the real character standout.

your dad is a wonderful man.
hopefully modern medicine will again prevail, and dad can continue chemo.

i saw my fatherinlaw go through a real hell, before he passed away.
hopefully when it is dads turn it can be peaceful ....... but not yet!!!

rob
12-10-2011, 04:38 AM
Dad is still stable, and although he can't do chemo yet, he has been able to start again with the radiation treatments. It's one positive step forward.

I discovered that the cancer treatment center gives a free class for family members to help them learn what to expect, and how best to be supportive of the person with cancer. They also help with finding ways to cope, and they have a family support group that meets twice a week. I signed up for both.

This new treatment center is really a beautiful state of the art facility. Inside it's more like a luxury hotel than a medical facility. There are big glass staircases, fountains, and roaring fireplaces. It has none of the cold clinical feel of a hospital. It's very warm and cozy, not cold and scary. And the staff is simply awesome. Really, really nice people. If you need anything, they are right there to help. The Dr.'s and Oncologists actually spend time with the patients and family members, as much time as you need without hurrying you. And, they actually listen.

Even with all the bad that's happening, there are some good things too.

Rob

kim,l
12-10-2011, 04:56 AM
rob i am so glad your dad is in a loving and caring enviroment and that he has been able to start some sort of treatment again. i am glad you are getting some support to my friend it can be awfully hard on family members when you do not know what to say or do to help the ones you love. you my friend always find the positive in things and have always given me the inspiration to do so when things are bad. we are all very greatfull to have you in our life even if we are just computer family. i wish you and your father the best over the holiday season and may every moment be a cherish time you spend together luv and hugs .

tgal
12-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Cancer is such a horrible disease. My thoughts are with you and your family. You know I am here if you need me

steve.b
12-11-2011, 02:43 AM
with all of the advances in modern medicine.......
one of the things that accellerated and increase our health is our mental state.

i am glad dad has such a wonderful facility at his disposal.
if he can keep up his good attitude, with the facility behind him.....
his chances of a successful turn around will be much better.

i am wishing the best for him.

Nonna
12-11-2011, 06:02 AM
Thinking of you, your Dad and your family and sending prayers your way

debbie-b
12-11-2011, 06:11 AM
Dad is still stable, and although he can't do chemo yet, he has been able to start again with the radiation treatments. It's one positive step forward.

I discovered that the cancer treatment center gives a free class for family members to help them learn what to expect, and how best to be supportive of the person with cancer. They also help with finding ways to cope, and they have a family support group that meets twice a week. I signed up for both.

This new treatment center is really a beautiful state of the art facility. Inside it's more like a luxury hotel than a medical facility. There are big glass staircases, fountains, and roaring fireplaces. It has none of the cold clinical feel of a hospital. It's very warm and cozy, not cold and scary. And the staff is simply awesome. Really, really nice people. If you need anything, they are right there to help. The Dr.'s and Oncologists actually spend time with the patients and family members, as much time as you need without hurrying you. And, they actually listen.

Even with all the bad that's happening, there are some good things too.

Rob

I am glad, that he can start the radiation again.
I have seen ads on tv, about the Cancer Treatment Centers of America, they look, like they are on top of the modern medicine. I was wondering, how expensive it is and if heath insurance pays for it.
I am praying, that nothing but more good things are coming your way.

Debbie

BonusMom
12-11-2011, 07:39 AM
@Rob-The burning question is this: Is Dad still flirting with the cute nurses? That, to me, will indicate where he is-spirit wise :-)

In all seriousness, it sounds like Dad's in great hands. I wish all treatment facilities were as state of the art-treating the mind and body. Education is key. We fear what we don't understand. I'm so glad that you're taking advantage of he classes they offer.

Thank you for taking us on this journey with you and sharing what is surely one of the most difficult situations of your life. We share the disappointments and celebrate the victories right along with you. You are an inspiration to us all, Rob.

rob
12-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Hi Debbie,

When all of this started, we considered taking Dad to one of the Cancer Treatment Centers of America, because we have heard many good things about the level of care they offer. However, we quickly discovered that the research facility where most of the newest treatment breakthroughs are developed and perfected, is right in our own backyard. It's the Lafayette Family Cancer Center in Brewer, Maine.

People come from as far away as Washington DC, Boston, and Montreal to be treated there. For us it's a quick drive, as it's only 4 miles from my parents house. It's pretty much the most advanced facility of it's type in New England, and they have clinical trial meds that are not yet approved available right there if all other options fail. I would personally fly Dad to Katmandu if that's where the best care was, so we're very fortunate that we only have to go to Brewer, and not Katmandu. They took us through and gave us the "grand tour", and it's really impressive. The rooms where they do the radiation treatment look like something you'd find on the Starship Enterprise. Amazing technology.

It also fulfills Dad's two top priorities-Great Food, and Hot Nurses...

Here are some pictures of the facility-

click for fullsize-

rob
12-11-2011, 08:37 AM
@Rob-The burning question is this: Is Dad still flirting with the cute nurses? That, to me, will indicate where he is-spirit wise.

Oh yeah, he's still flirting with all the nurses, that is, when he's not busy flirting with Mom. It's amazing that after 58 years of marriage, they still act like high-school sweethearts.

Manderson
12-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Reminds me of when dad and mom were having their first meeting at home with the hospice ladies. My brother had called down and talked to dad who was getting ready to shave and put cologne on. My brother said, "Dad, you know these are the hospice girls coming, NOT the Spice Girls." Dad didn't care -> they were "new blood" for his jokes and flirting.

lucky7
12-11-2011, 04:37 PM
TRULY LOVE and CARE for YOU Rob. You and your FATHER are in my HEART and THOUGHTS. XXXOOO

Gizmo
12-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Rob, what a blessing to have such a wonderful facility so close by. We have traveled back east multiple times for medical care for my daughter and it does seem like the best doctors are on the east coast. It's awesome that they offer classes and support for family members, too. That is medicine the way it should be practiced. It sounds like your dad has the very best care and the very best family to help him beat this thing. My thoughts are with you all.

magistramarla
12-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Rob,
I'm so glad to hear that your Dad got to take a small step forward with the radiation treatment.
Like everyone else here, I'm keeping you and your family in my thoughts. It sounds like if any facility can find the right combination of heart medication, radiation and chemo, the one near you can.
I'm also glad that you are seeking out support for yourself. Take good care of yourself, too.
Please keep on updating us. If venting to us can help you, we are glad to "listen".
Love & Gentle Hugs,
Marla

rob
12-13-2011, 07:56 PM
OK,

We're back in business. Dad has been cleared to start chemo again while taking a new mix of meds that should keep his irregular heartbeat from returning. He had chemo, and they watched for any arythmia, and none happened. He can feel it when it starts to happen, and he reported no "flutters". So for now, he's good to go. And, he is out of the cardiac unit, and is at home finally. He's feeling pretty good all things considered. Mom is just about as happy as I've seen her in a long time. A little good news can really go a long way.

I know everything can change at a moments notice now, so I'm not going to jump for joy or celebrate for tomorrow, but I will in my own way celebrate for the good news of today.

To all of you,

Your kind words, thoughts, prayers, and humor in this thread, as well as in the numerous private messages I've received, have made such a difference. To be honest, there are days right now where I just feel totally lost. You people, this place, are like a touchstone that I can come to each day in order to find my footing and orient myself for another day. I hope one day that I can return at least some of what has been given.

Thank you all,

Rob

kim,l
12-13-2011, 08:24 PM
i am so happy for you rob it is good to here the joy in your voice for a change i have been thinking of both you and your father. if i do not speak to you my friend before christmas i wish you and your family a very special time hugs my friend and i am here to talk to when ever you need to vent.

magistramarla
12-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Rob,
So good to hear a bit of good news from you, my friend.
I'm glad that all of us here have been able to do something to help ease your burden. I know what you mean about this cyber family providing a good place to regain our focus every day. It is truly working the way SaySusie envisioned it.
Here's hoping that your Dad continues to feel good and that your family can have a warm and enjoyable holiday season together.
Love & Gentle Hugs,
Marla

steve.b
12-13-2011, 09:30 PM
We're back in business. Dad has been cleared to start chemo again....

this is good news.

i for 1, hope the good news continues.

lucky7
12-16-2011, 12:30 PM
WOO FRIGIN HOO to your GREAT news Rob!!!!!!! Hugs to your FATHER!!!! My fingers are staying crossed for you and your family!!! And by the way, ARE YOU KIDDING ME! You RETURN what has been given to you ALL THE TIME!!!! From my first time on here YOU made me feel BETTER! Dont make me have to take a plane trip that will make me flare to come kick you in the pants! Well, with what little strength i have THESE DAYS it would be more of a little push! Either way though, YOU ARE GREAT in SO MANY WAYS!!!!! DONT FORGET THAT!!!!!!! I'll keep reminding you if i have to ya know! Love YOU! XXXOOO

lucky7
12-16-2011, 12:37 PM
WOO FRIGIN HOO!!!! WONDERFUL NEWS Rob!!! So gald to here he's home and your mom's in HAPPY mode! You and your family are in my HEART and THOUGHTS! By the way, dont make me have to get on a plane and flare really bad to come remind you to your HANDSOME MUG of how YOU RETURN what is given to you ALL THE TIME! You made me feel BETTER the FIRST DAY i found my WHL FAMILY! I will REMIND YOU ALL THE TIME if i have to mister! Well, at least when i can make it on here! And when im not on here, well, im at home reminding YOU with my SPECIAL MENTAL ABILITIES from across the miles! LOVE YOU! XXXOOO

lucky7
12-16-2011, 12:40 PM
WOW, seriously! I honestly thought i LOST the FIRST REPLY! It just went away so i posted a new one. HMMMMM, can you tell i have horrible short term memory though! LOL I sat there TRYING to remember what i said the first time but i didnt quite do it did i! DUH! LOOPY LOOPY!

rob
12-19-2011, 03:32 PM
A quick progress report-

Another round of chemo is is over, and there's been no new heart arythmias. Very good news.

The flip side of the coin, is that Dad is really showing the effects of the chemo and radiation. He's having a hard time eating because of the sore throat, and having difficulty swallowing. He got some meds today that are supposed to help with that. He's feeling pretty rough, but still managing to keep his chin up, and keep his sense of humor.

I had absolutely no idea just how difficult this would be for everyone involved. Just trying to concentrate on getting through one day at a time.

Rob

rob
12-19-2011, 03:40 PM
WOW, seriously! I honestly thought i LOST the FIRST REPLY! It just went away so i posted a new one. HMMMMM, can you tell i have horrible short term memory though! LOL I sat there TRYING to remember what i said the first time but i didnt quite do it did i! DUH! LOOPY LOOPY!

Your WOO HOO's always make me smile Jeanette!

magistramarla
12-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Hi Rob,
I'm glad to see that you are checking in.
Maybe we can look at it this way - since Dad is feeling the effects of the chemo, maybe that means it's doing its job?
I'm glad that he still has a good attitude. Take care of yourself, too.
Hang in there, my friend.
Love & Hugs,
Marla

rob
12-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Maybe we can look at it this way - since Dad is feeling the effects of the chemo, maybe that means it's doing its job?

Yep, that is almost word for word what the Oncologist and Radiologist said to us Marla-the chemo and radiation are indeed doing their job.
And despite the bad side effects, this is a good thing.

As far as attitude, I think Dad is even more of a smartass practical joker now than he ever was before. The staff at the cancer center
love him because he's one of the few patients they treat who is able to keep them in stitches with his jokes and funny stories. He'd rather
make people around him laugh, than make them cry, or feel bad.

I've had some of them take me aside and ask me just how does he do it. I really don't know for sure, he's just always been a fun loving person who
likes to laugh. He also finds the people he meets and interacts with from day to day to be genuinely interesting, and he likes to just talk, and visit.
And, he truly believes that if he dies tomorrow, he will die a happy man because he feels he's lived an extraordinary and full life.

He grew up with no father, and in utter poverty. But by the time he was in his early 30's, he had already worked for two Presidents. He's been
married to his highschool sweetheart for 58 years now, and he has his three kids who love him very much. He's seen one of his grandchildren
follow in his footsteps with a career in law enforcement, and another become a decorated Veteran and Green Beret.

He has lived an extraordinary life, and according to him- "It ain't over yet!"

Rob

BonusMom
12-20-2011, 08:46 AM
Your Dad, um family, sounds awesome and I need a new one. Are you adopting? I'll submit an application with references. I've had all my shots and am free to a good home.

rob
12-20-2011, 08:55 AM
Your Dad, um family, sounds awesome and I need a new one. Are you adopting? I'll submit an application with references. I've had all my shots and am free to a good home.

I'll send you a plane ticket!

Can ya cook?

magistramarla
12-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Rob,
Your Dad sounds so great! He has the right attitude - if anyone can beat this thing, he will!
Hugs,
Marla

magistramarla
12-20-2011, 10:21 AM

BonusMom,
If Rob doesn't take you, we will!
Hugs,
Marla

BonusMom
12-20-2011, 10:31 AM
I'll send you a plane ticket!

Can ya cook?

You betcha I can cook! Better go pack my bags and cookware....

Ah, thanks M. It's good to know I've got alternatives :-).

Saysusie
12-20-2011, 10:44 PM
I keep telling Rob that I would be so honored to just meet his Dad..I'd feel as if I had met the mold that we are all supposed to pattern ourselves after and ,therefore, met a living miracle!

Rob; There is so much of your Dad in you and we see it every day! I am so proud to know you and, through you, know your Dad. It is good to know that the chemotherapy is working.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

rob
12-21-2011, 09:18 AM
I keep telling Rob that I would be so honored to just meet his Dad..I'd feel as if I had met the mold that we are all supposed to pattern ourselves after and ,therefore, met a living miracle!

Rob; There is so much of your Dad in you and we see it every day! I am so proud to know you and, through you, know your Dad. It is good to know that the chemotherapy is working.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Thanks Carlotta,

If my Mom were part of this conversation, she would remind us that for all of his goodness, Dad can also be a real turd when he wants to be!

And his response to that would be to stand up straight, and smile with pride!

Rob

magistramarla
12-21-2011, 08:29 PM
I second what SaySusie said!
Hugs,
Marla

lucky7
12-22-2011, 05:50 PM
WOW Rob! YOUR FAMILY IS AWESOME! I'll take me one of those please! Now i KNOW why YOU ARE SOOOOOO AWESOME!!!!! HUGS to your father through the chemo pain. Im glad to hear his SPIRIT isnt effected though!! WOO HOO to THAT!!!!! (You better be smiling! LOL)

rob
12-29-2011, 08:42 AM
UPDATE-

Hello everyone,

At long last, I have some fairly significant good news to report. Last night we found out that Dad will be stopping radiation treatments next week, because he is now an excellent candidate for surgery to remove the tumor(s). Sometime in the next two weeks, they're going to do the operation. This came as quite a surprise. For the type of cancer he has, surgical removal of the tumor, or tumors, in conjunction with chemo and radiation is the preferred method of treatment. He will continue with chemo through the procedure and recovery period, and will most likely have more radiation treatments after he recovers.

Both the Oncologist, and Radiologist told us that Dad has responded remarkably well to the chemo/rad treatments. He has also tolerated it remarkably well. He's been feeling a bit rough, with a sore throat and fatigue, but the side effects are not nearly as bad as he, and as we thought they would be. He's had no nausea at all, he has a good appetite, and he's not lost any weight.

He is active, in great spirits, and enjoying life just as he always has. We had one heck of a nice Christmas this year, and Dad was able to enjoy the day with only a short nap between opening gifts and sitting down to eat dinner.

So, we have one of the most significant victories in this war so far. I am happy, hopeful, and at the same time cautious. I now know that things can change very quickly, and to not hang all of my hopes on winning just one battle.

Rob

tgal
12-29-2011, 09:22 AM
UPDATE-

Hello everyone,

At long last, I have some fairly significant good news to report. Last night we found out that Dad will be stopping radiation treatments next week, because he is now an excellent candidate for surgery to remove the tumor(s). Sometime in the next two weeks, they're going to do the operation. This came as quite a surprise. For the type of cancer he has, surgical removal of the tumor, or tumors, in conjunction with chemo and radiation is the preferred method of treatment. He will continue with chemo through the procedure and recovery period, and will most likely have more radiation treatments after he recovers.

Both the Oncologist, and Radiologist told us that Dad has responded remarkably well to the chemo/rad treatments. He has also tolerated it remarkably well. He's been feeling a bit rough, with a sore throat and fatigue, but the side effects are not nearly as bad as he, and as we thought they would be. He's had no nausea at all, he has a good appetite, and he's not lost any weight.

He is active, in great spirits, and enjoying life just as he always has. We had one heck of a nice Christmas this year, and Dad was able to enjoy the day with only a short nap between opening gifts and sitting down to eat dinner.

So, we have one of the most significant victories in this war so far. I am happy, hopeful, and at the same time cautious. I now know that things can change very quickly, and to not hang all of my hopes on winning just one battle.

Rob

I am so happy! As you know I have been down this road with my mom so I understand how awesome this is. You are doing a fabulous job handing everything and although I know how great your dad is I want to make sure you don't underestimate how wonderful his kids are!

Keep us posted

debbie-b
12-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Rob,

That is very good news. I am glad that you had such a nice Christmas.
It is so important, that your dad is in good spirits, it helps him and you guys too.

Debbie

magistramarla
12-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Rob,
It is so wonderful to have good news from you! I was getting a bit worried. I'm so glad that we didn't hear from you because you were having some great family time.
Your Dad is strong, and is fighting a good fight. It sounds like he will soon be on the way to getting better.
Keep updating us, and take care of yourself, too.
Hugs,
Marla

kim,l
12-29-2011, 07:51 PM
rob that is wonderful new and i am so happy christmas was a goodtime for your family your dad is a very brave strong man and you my friend take after him you are both inspirations take care hugs,

steve.b
12-29-2011, 09:38 PM
i am so happy for all of you.

lucky7
12-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Oh Rob that is so WONDERFUL!!!!! I'm so HAPPY for your dad, you and your whole FAMILY! That is GREAT NEWS to start the NEW YEAR off with! That makes it a HAPPY NEW YEAR! for sure!!!! Love you and im sending you a gentle hug! XXXOOO

Nonna
01-01-2012, 05:38 AM
Rob
This is such wonderful news thank you for sharing and keeping us updated.

Hugs to you, your Dad and all your family
Toni

Desleywr
01-01-2012, 06:52 AM
Fab news someone is watching over you!

rob
01-12-2012, 02:11 PM
UPDATE-

Today, we had the big meeting with the chest surgeon and radiologist. The chemo and radiation have been effective enough to allow for surgery. You could easily see on the slides/images that the main tumor in the lung has shrunken considerably.

So, surgery will be on Feb. 7th. They are going to remove the entire upper lobe of the right lung, two lymph nodes, and part of the thyroid. After recovery, Dad will start again with chemo once a week and radiation 5 days a week.

Getting this cancer from the status of "inoperable", to "operable", has been the goal. Taking this particualr form of cancer into an operable state where it can be surgically removed increases the chances of a positive long-term outcome dramatically. Now, it could be that once they go in, that they cannot remove it all, or they may find something that didn't show up in imaging, but that's something nobody will know about until Feb 7th, so there's no point in worrying about it until then.

I honestly believe that they will be able to remove all of the cancer, and that they will find no new tumors. I don't know why I believe this, I just do. Maybe that's what faith is.

Anyway, we're coping, moving steadily onward, and getting things done.

Rob

Desleywr
01-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Rob all I can say is I am there for you! I can't imagine what stress you are going through! Your Father must be a strong man and grateful for the support of his son You! Keep up the strength and remember we here are all sending you positive vibes. ((( hugs)))))

Angel Oliver
01-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Thinking of you and sending strength to your dad.

love
Amanda.xxxx

kim,l
01-12-2012, 06:10 PM
dear rob i am so glad there is some movement now to get rid of your fathers cancer he has come along way to get there he truly is a strong man they say if you believe in anything strong enough and you get in the right mind set everything is possible and with yours and your fathers strength i am glad to see you so positive and my thoughts will be with you and your father and all of your family. and i am sending you all my positive thoughts hugs kim

Nonna
01-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Thinking of you all and sending Good Thoughts and Prayers your way

red246
01-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Rob,

Glad to hear that there has been progress made! Still keeping y'all in my prayers.

magistramarla
01-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Rob,
All right!! Onward to Feb. 7!! It seems great that he has progressed from inoperable to operable so quickly.
I'll keep you and your Dad in my thoughts until then.
Keep us updated, and take good care of yourself, too.
Love & Hugs,
Marla

steve.b
01-12-2012, 07:58 PM
they are going to remove the same as they did on my dad.
he also had his right side upper removed.

he has survived over 10 years so far.

the operation will not be as dramatic as my father had....
thank god for improvements in medicine !!!!!
but he will have dramatically reduced lung function.
the lung is devided into 3 lobes aech side.
the upper lobe has 50 % of the lungs cappacity.

dad can still play 18 rounds of golf each week, on a slightly hilly course.
and he is mid 70's.

the outcome for your dad is good.

debbie-b
01-13-2012, 10:39 AM
It is good news for sure, that they can now operate.
I will def. think about you and your family on 2/7, it is my husbands birthday, so I know, that I won't forget.

Debbie

SandyR
01-19-2012, 06:34 PM
Hi Rob, How is Dad?

magistramarla
01-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Rob,
Does this mean no news is good news? I hope that this month is going well for all of your family.
Hugs,
Marla

rob
01-20-2012, 06:13 AM
Hi Guys,

Sorry I haven't been writing much. I've been terribly busy and as a result, I'm exhausted.

Dad had a bit of a rebound or "hangover" effect from suddenly stopping both chemo and radiation. Lots of nausea and a fever. He's over that now, and is doing well. It's funny, he says he felt better and had far more energy while getting the chemo and radiation. He never once got nausea while on the treatments, so it's kind of ironic that he would have nausea from stopping.

He's still active, and is going full steam ahead with our latest car restoration project. The new project is a 1968 Rolls Royce Corniche that we discovered in a barn last month. It needs work, and the previous owner just wanted to make more room in his barn, so dad got it dirt cheap. This is the second Rolls we've restored so we almost know what we are doing this time around.

We're just counting the days until Feb 7th. Dad is understandably anxious to get the surgery done and out of the way.

Rob

lucky7
01-20-2012, 12:54 PM
SO HAPPY to hear the news Rob! Weird how the nausea was "reversed" in his case. WOW, that's SO COOL about the car! I LOVE that you are so BONDED with your dad in so many ways. You are a LUCKY MAN in many ways and that makes me very happy for you Rob, YOU DESERVE IT.

magistramarla
01-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Rob,
I'm cheered that your Dad is hard at work on another car restoration project. It means that he is keeping his mind and body active.
It will also give him a good goal to strive for after the surgery - he'll be anxious to get out of bed and get back to his car.
Take care - I'll be thinking of both of you on Feb. 7.
Hugs,
Marla

Saysusie
01-22-2012, 06:38 PM
I am so pleased that you and your Dad are working on another project together. I am sorry that his not being on the treatment has made him ill (that is a different reaction than most), but I'm glad that he keeps being who he is and that you keep being there for him. I love that both you and he maintain a positive attitude..I am trying to take lessons from you both!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Gizmo
01-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Rob, how wonderful that you and your dad have the car project to focus on while you wait, and he recovers from the chemo and radiation. I hope you are trying to recover, too, so you are ready for the next battle. Take care.

rob
02-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Hi Everyone,

Well, the big day is coming. Dad is scheduled for surgery Tuesday morning. They will be removing the entire upper lobe of the right lung, and a couple of lymph nodes in the same area. Dad is feeling good, and ready to get it done. After he's recovered from the surgery, he will be re-starting both chemo and radiation again.

Hopefully, they won't find any more areas where the cancer has spread. They are going leave treating the thyroid cancer/tumor to a later date. The thyroid cancer isn't immediately life threatening, so it can wait.

I'll be away on Tuesday, and maybe a few days after depending on how things go.

Just keeping our fingers crossed till then.

Rob

tgal
02-04-2012, 09:56 AM
You and your family will be in my thoughts. Fingers and toes crossed! Keep us posted, Rob

gkf109
02-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Rob, Hope everything works out for your dad, I know it's a tough thing to deal with.

Trish91171
02-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Having just met you Rob, I am just catching up here. My prayers will be with and and the entire family as your dads heads into surgery and this battle continues. As we say in my family....soldier on, and know that many thoughts are with you as you carry forward.

debbie-b
02-04-2012, 02:49 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your dad.
My sister had the same surgery and said the first few days were very tough, but after the initial down time, she did just fine.
My sister will get her last chemo on Feb.15 and after that all kinds of tests, cat scans and MRI's. I am praying that her tumor will be gone.
I know, what you are going through my friend. Be strong.

Debbie

kim,l
02-04-2012, 05:25 PM
i will be thinking of you and your dad hugs

magistramarla
02-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Rob,
You and your family will be in my thoughts on Tuesday. I hope that he heals quickly and gets back to that car project in a hurry.
Take care of yourself, too and update us as soon as you can.
Love & Hugs,
Marla

steve.b
02-04-2012, 09:21 PM
like mari said.........
fingers and toes crossed.

Nonna
02-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Thinking of you and your family

Hugs and prayers

rob
02-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Thank you all, for the ongoing support and kind words. This is something that is taking time to unfold. I thank you all for sticking with it. All of you, all of your words, they mean very much to me, and to my family. We had a good day today. A really good day working on the latest car restoration project.

This latest project is coming along nicely. It actually runs for more than a few minutes now without choking up and quitting. That's always a good step forward. A Rolls Royce V-8 engine has to be one of the most over-engineered pieces of machinery ever designed. If you blow a fuse for the windshield wiper motor, it can cut off the fuel pumps and make the engine quit. But, it's a challenge, and we love that part. It's never really been about owning or driving a Rolls Royce. It's about taking a classic, complex piece of old school engineering, and making it work like new again. That's the real fun, that's what we love.

Dad, is slowing down. He's losing his usual sharp wit. He's slowing down and is taking longer to talk, and to explain what he means. We try to laugh about it. He'll talk about how he cannot sleep well and how he has CRSS (Can't Remember S**t Syndrome). He talks about how it must be like the brainfog mom and I have. In many ways, it is, and we get a good laugh out of it. I told him that you really haven't had brainfog until you mistake a tube of Preparation H for a tube of toothpaste when you go to brush your teeth in the morning. For those who don't know, that little incident is what gave me the idea to start the "You Know You've Got Brainfog When-" thread here. Dad was there when I brushed my teeth with the prep-h. I'll never live that one down!

There are so many funny stories, so many adventures. Dad is a hell of a pilot, and we used to fly gliders. One time, he was flying solo, and practicing for an upcoming competition. I was on the radio with him when he lost lift, strayed across the border, and had to land in New Brunswick, Canada, in a farmers field. He aced the landing-no damage at all. But the best part was when the farmer who owned the field and the Constable showed up. Dad held his arms out to his sides, walked towards them, and said "I come in peace, take me to your leader". He really said that. I laugh everytime I hear that story.

A man who can crash land in a cow pasteur in another country without a scratch and then make the local sheriff almost fall over laughing, can handle cancer, and the surgery to remove it. He can do this.

Rob

kim,l
02-05-2012, 07:40 PM
oh rob your dad sounds like a wonderful man and i am glad you have had some great memories with him and are still finding the time to make new memories. you are very strong and make me laugh. i envy you my father died suddenly 7 years ago and i miss his sense of humour . hang in there my friend and enjoy your special relationship with your father you deserve every moment and more hugs

magistramarla
02-05-2012, 09:36 PM
LOL Rob,
That story about your Dad was a great one! As Kim said, you are so lucky to have those happy memories and stories to share with your Dad.
My mother was abusive, and I didn't meet my Dad until I was 35, so I don't have those warm, fuzzy memories. You are very lucky.
Let him know that we are all thinking good thoughts for him on Tuesday, and that we'll let him be an honorary member of our brain fog club!
Take care of yourself.
Hugs,
Marla