PDA

View Full Version : Waiting (Always Waiting!!) for Answers

MisCamp
09-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is Misha, I am 29 years old, and I live in Edmonton, Alberta. I am currently waiting to see a rheumatologist to get some answers. Should be a couple months(??)

I was recently diagnosed with Vasculitis after a biopsy was done on a couple bruise-like rashes on my leg (I went into Emerg because of a history of Idiopathic Thrombocyotpenic Purpura)... well, they did bloodwork after the biopsy and my ANA came back positive, which I know means nothing in itself.

I have a history of 17 years with an eating disorder (Bulimia) and have been in treatment at a local hospital up to this past year and I have many other symptoms I have always attributed to my eating disorder or poor nutrition. I am always tired; I sleep 9-10 hours a night but still need to nap a few hours a day. I am so weak, my husband does everything for me, holds doors, opens jars.... And I HURT. I am VERY anemic and my electrolytes are easily out of balance.

However, I have been eating healthy for over a year now, and these symtoms have not gone away. Pairing them up with the ITP, the Vasculitis, and the ANA.... (oh yes, and a history of unexplained seizures about 3 years ago)... Well, I'm hoping to get some answers from the rheumatologist.

In the meantime I am learning as much as I can about various autoimmune disorders and tracking my symptoms so I can give the rheumatologist as much info as possible when I see her.

And, I am hoping to get to know you and read more about your individual journeys too!

Thanks!

tgal
09-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is Misha, I am 29 years old, and I live in Edmonton, Alberta. I am currently waiting to see a rheumatologist to get some answers. Should be a couple months(??)

I was recently diagnosed with Vasculitis after a biopsy was done on a couple bruise-like rashes on my leg (I went into Emerg because of a history of Idiopathic Thrombocyotpenic Purpura)... well, they did bloodwork after the biopsy and my ANA came back positive, which I know means nothing in itself.

I have a history of 17 years with an eating disorder (Bulimia) and have been in treatment at a local hospital up to this past year and I have many other symptoms I have always attributed to my eating disorder or poor nutrition. I am always tired; I sleep 9-10 hours a night but still need to nap a few hours a day. I am so weak, my husband does everything for me, holds doors, opens jars.... And I HURT. I am VERY anemic and my electrolytes are easily out of balance.

However, I have been eating healthy for over a year now, and these symtoms have not gone away. Pairing them up with the ITP, the Vasculitis, and the ANA.... (oh yes, and a history of unexplained seizures about 3 years ago)... Well, I'm hoping to get some answers from the rheumatologist.

In the meantime I am learning as much as I can about various autoimmune disorders and tracking my symptoms so I can give the rheumatologist as much info as possible when I see her.

And, I am hoping to get to know you and read more about your individual journeys too!

Thanks!

Let me be the first to welcome you to WHL! I dealt with an eating disorder in my teens and I am so proud that you are now eating health and keeping food down. It would be easy to overlook AI symptoms when dealing with bulimia because many of the are the same.

While I am sorry for what brought you to us but if you have to come looking for information I am just happy that you made your way here. This is a wonderful forum full of fabulous, caring people who will be there for you when ever you need somewhere to vent or just cry. There is tons of information in the threads so feel free to look over them or just start new ones on your own. I look forward to getting to know you and welcome to our WHL family!

running girl
09-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Hi Misha,

I'm sorry, I can't help with any advise, just a warm welcome. This is a great place to hang out as you wait. Many of us are waiting for explanations for our illness. The friendship and advise offered here has been very helpful to me.

Best of luck, I sure hope you feel better soon.
Brenda

MisCamp
09-21-2011, 05:27 PM
I might be too new to rant (feel free to ignore), but can I just say that I'm sick of having to call for my husband's help to do everything for me? I just needed him to push a thumbtack into the wall for me. OMG!

Gizmo
09-22-2011, 01:48 AM
You are never too new to rant, Misha - and that was not a rant. Welcome to our group. It sounds like you have already overcome so much. I'm sure you have wisdom you can share with the rest of us, in between ranting (lol).

steve.b
09-22-2011, 02:26 AM
hi misha and welcome.

i have an adopted aunt, who was diagnosed with sle years ago.
at her weakest, she was bed ridden for weeks on end, unable to lift her arms wihout severe pain.
it took years to diagnose her.
she is and always was a nurse.
she is still working as an emergancy nurse, running one of the busiest emergency rooms in australia on friday and saturday nights.

not everyone is lucky enough to get a good balance of mediction.
her difference is almost beyond belief.

i am telling you this to let you know..... ther eis hope, after diagnosis, that things can improve.