PDA

View Full Version : Stopped smoking

leaann
09-16-2011, 06:59 AM
Hello,

4 days ago I stopped smoking. I stopped cold turkey, no meds, no patches or anything other than will power. Now everyone is asking me why I did. "Hmm lets see I have lupus is that not enough, or maybe that I want to live longer and could be the fact that I want to save money.":duh: People amaze me.

I thought that it was going to be hard,but it has not been as hard as I thought it would be. I think it has to do with the mind. I think I really stopped smoking because I was thinking about being diagnosed with lupus so much that I wanted something take my mind off it. I figured that if I had to think about not smoking I wouldn't have time to think about the doctor telling me that it was lupus. so I figured by the time I had completely stopped that the lupus would not bother me as much as it is right now. Yeah I know that it sounds crazy, but it was driving me nuts and I had to do something and I needed to stop anyway.

Now if I can get my husband and daughter to stop I will feel a lot better.

any one else stop smoking?

Manderson
09-16-2011, 10:07 AM
It's the behaviors that are associated with smoking that are the hardest. The physical cravings (need for nicotine in blood) go away pretty quickly, but the behaviors are the downfall of many. That was the hardest for me to deal with - the cig with my morning coffee, cig while driving somewhere, cig after a meal.....you know what I'm talking about. But I've been quit for I think 9 years? Still once in a while I will catch a whiff and I'll get the strongest desire......

Good luck! Keep up the good work; you'll get there!

red246
09-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Lea,

Congratulations!!!!! I have been trying to quit for so long and just haven't been able to do it. I have tried everything except for hypnosis & acupuncture! I can't take any of the meds because of crazy side effects & even the patch has its issues, but it's tolerable.

abbasgirl
09-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Way to go Leaann! Congrats! I quit in November 2001. It felt like I lost a best friend for nearly a week. I stayed busy busy busy for days and watched a lot of great movies and comedies on tv until a week passed and then it was easier, until I got around family and friends that smoke too. I'd have to excuse myself from them when it got bad. It's hard. But after a while it got to where it didn't tempt me anymore. After a couple of weeks when I realized I could walk up a particular hill without feeling so winded, that really gave me a good push to keep going. It's a very difficult thing to change in life! I knew if I could make it to the 21 day mark I could probably make it though. The doc told me you can create new habits within three weeks. He was right. But that first week, was agony!

Congrats to you too Manderson! I was hooked on tic tacs for a long time after I quit... using those instead of a smoke after eating, while driving, while socializing, etc... I had the same problem, the behaviors that came with it was the hardest to overcome.

abbasgirl
09-16-2011, 11:04 AM
I have a friend that swears hypnosis is what made all the difference for him. He quit for five years but picked it back up after a tragic loss, but he swears the hypnosis did the trick.

Giving up smoking is so so so hard! I hope you can get there Lauren.

running girl
09-16-2011, 04:43 PM
15 years for me. Man it was hard. I still smoke in my dreams. Here are a couple of tricks I found helpful.

1. I told myself it wasn't forever. I would start smoking again on my 70th birthday.

2. I "addicted" myself to cherry flavoured cough drops. Every time I wanted a smoke I would pop a cough drop, take a deep minty breath and exhale with a stress releasing "sigh". I must have looked like a complete idiot, but I convinced myself that all I needed was a cough drop. It took me another year to get off the drops, but it was worth it.

3. I decided I was a Non-smoker. I considered smoking was a past vice that I had kicked.

4. I changed as many regular behaviours that I could. Instead of my morning coffee and smoke, I drove to the coffee shop and picked up one from the drive through. A change of behaviour was really helpful.

5. I did cheat a couple of times. I would buy a pack, take one out and throw out the rest of the package. That was way to expensive to do too many time.

All the best wishes to you Leaane! And way to go Manderson. And best of luck Lauren. It's hard work, but really, really, worth it.
Oh - and I can't image ever starting again - even when I'm 70.

Brenda

Manderson
09-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Oh yeah and I used to brush my teeth a lot during that time. Just felt so good to continually have minty breath. Oh the things we do LOL

YollyDolly
09-17-2011, 04:49 AM
Thanks amazing job!! I know I strongly think the body can do enough damage to itself and that we have no control or say over so why do any more damage. Good on yyyooouuuu !!!!!

steve.b
09-18-2011, 05:39 AM
lea,
i am glad to see you are taking control where you can.
i smoked for about 25 years. i gave up 15years ago.

when i gave up i was showing movies in clubs.
smoking was permitted, so i gave up and then worked in a smoke filled room.
i used straight pretzels as my saving grace.
they gave me something to stick in my fiongers and mouth.
and they didnt add inches to my hips.

i encourage you to keep up the attempt.
if you fail..... dont worry, try again.

i am proud of you for trying to quit.

keep it up.

Tammy2011
09-18-2011, 07:31 AM
i am trying to quit to i failed but i am, trying again monday ((tomorrow )is my new quit date

steve.b
09-18-2011, 09:34 PM
tammy,
quitting is not easy.

it is acceptable to fail and try again.

remember that to quit you need to be stubborn.

you have to fight the cravings..... and the best thing you have is your stubbornness.

i wish you luck.

Tammy2011
09-20-2011, 10:11 PM
I have been quit for 2 Days, 1 hour, 32 minutes and 16 seconds (2 days). I have saved $10.10 by not smoking 57 cigarettes. I have saved 4 hours and 45 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 18/09/2011 11:38 PM