PDA

View Full Version : A little Help Needed

chef marv
09-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Hey can anyone help me with understanding methotrexate? I take 15mgs once a week... how does it work and what kind of side affects have your all experienced? Any extra percautions I should take other than the folic acid supplement?

tgal
09-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Hey can anyone help me with understanding methotrexate? I take 15mgs once a week... how does it work and what kind of side affects have your all experienced? Any extra percautions I should take other than the folic acid supplement?

Methotrexate, in conjunction with some of the other meds, is a chemotherapy drug. AI diseases such as Lupus make our immune system work too hard and attack our own body. MTX and steroids lower our immune system and hopefully get us out of our flare. I will post a link below that gives information about the different Lupus meds.

As for side effects, I don't really have anything except a little bit of an upset stomach. I fixed the majority of that by taking it before bed

Hope this helps!

Lupus Medications (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lupus/DS00115/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs)

chef marv
09-15-2011, 12:08 PM
wow tgal.. how olng have you had lupus? you seem to know your stuff... Thanks... and i do notice the upset stomach... i off set that by eating more... lol.. i will take any excuse to eat more

debbie-b
09-15-2011, 12:10 PM
The MTX pills gave me alot of nausea, I was then put on the shots, no more nausea, just weakness the day after.
Good luck to you.

Debbie