PDA

View Full Version : steve's lucky escape

steve.b
09-07-2011, 08:16 PM
i will start by saying i am totally uninjured.

as some of you know, i live on a nice country farm.
it is cheap rent, and very peaceful.

our heating is by an open fire in the loungeroom.
i cut our firewood with a chainsaw.

today whilst cutting some wood, i had another brain pause.

i came out of my brain pause to the feeling of the chainsaw pulling on my jeans leg.

i dropped the saw, in fright.
my jeans has a cut about 3 1/2 inches long totally missing from the knee area.

all that happenned to my leg is a red welt, and very slight internal bleeding.

i am sharing this to let everyone know, do not take your illness for granted.
do what you can, but when it is living on the edge, have someone else with you.

ruziska
09-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Wow! glad you are ok!!!

rob
09-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Steve,

I've made a few jokes here from time to time about why I don't fly anymore. I figured I'd get up there and suddenly forget how to land. The truth is, I stopped flying because I could do just that. I have these sudden lapses of judgement. I've been driving and suddenly nodded off a bit and found myself unable to drive a stick or sometimes find my way home. I have a brand new Husqvarna chainsaw I've never even started up because I worry about the possibility of suddenly not knowing what the hell I'm doing.

I'm glad you're OK. It could have been bad beyond words. Your advice about having someone with you is something I need to hear, regardless of my not wanting to hear it.

Rob

lovedbyHim
09-07-2011, 09:55 PM
I'm glad you're ok Steve. This is how driving was for me for a long time. It still is sometimes. I go through stop signs. Now I have been requested to do jury duty for a federal case. I don't trust my ability to focus and make a sound Judgement. I am requesting an exception. My doc is writing one but isn't sure it will work. Be safe buddy.

red246
09-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Glad to hear you're okay! And thank you for posting as I've been debating about driving lately due to how I've been feeling!

steve.b
09-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Glad to hear you're okay! And thank you for posting as I've been debating about driving lately due to how I've been feeling!

i only drive in emergencies.

debbie-b
09-08-2011, 04:37 AM
Hi Steve,

Boy, that was a close call, to close for comfort. I am very glad that you're ok.
I work in a store, where we the cashiers, have to do all the stocking of the shelfes. We have a hand driven lift for the pallets, we drive the pallets to the isles and unload them there. Alot of times I mean to go foreward or backward and go the opposite way. I have run into shelfes and such and ones I ran into the cooler door, which shattered into a million pieces, all because I meant to go backwards, but went foreward. When my coworkers are around me, I tell them to get out of my way, just in case.

Debbie

Nat
09-09-2011, 07:12 AM
Glad to hear you're ok!!! Cant say I've experienced anything like this yet but good to know what to be on the lookout for!!

KCat
09-09-2011, 09:37 AM
Yikes! Glad you're okay. Scary. Definitely time to practice the buddy system when using sharp objects, steve. :) My husband has talked about getting a "Life Alert" thing for me. I've told him not to bother, I'd put it down somewhere and forget where I left it.

Gizmo
09-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Steve, I am SO glad you "came out of it" when you did. I hope you can get help cutting your firewood, or have a buddy, as you say. It's so hard to know when to call it quits on driving and other dangerous activities (that are necessary to our survival). Thanks for the reminder that we aren't invincible.

MaryS42
09-12-2011, 02:38 AM
God Steve so glad you are ok and thankyou for sharing this with us all.As you know Alan is having around 3 to 5 seizures daily (sometimes more) so I do all the driving which was hard as we argued A LOT as Alan felt I was taking away the little bit of independance he still had or I was doing it to be nasty which obviously wasn't the case and thankfully now he realises its for the best.Once again glad you are ok take care . Luv M.x.

magistramarla
09-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Hi Steve,
I'm just catching up and read this thread. I'm glad that you weren't badly hurt. That was a close one.
I've always loved to drive, and had no fear of driving long distances by myself. Now, I only drive close to home, and I avoid the highway.
I was just visiting my daughter in Denver, and I was a bit worried when she asked me to drive her to work and to pick up my grandson at school.
Lucky for me, Littleton is set up on a grid pattern and the directions were very simple. I did just fine, but I was a little shaky at first.
Be careful!
Hugs,
Marla

BonusMom
09-17-2011, 10:50 PM
My Dad didn't have SLE, but had an incident with a chainsaw similar to yours. The chainsaw won and he ended up with a six inch jagged scar on the interior right thigh to remind him of their battle. Dad was working in the woods, alone, and could have bled out, had it not been for a random person driving by.

Great reminder, Steve, for those of us with brain fog to be careful when using machinery.

Saysusie
09-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Steve; I, too, am just catching up with this thread and I am sooooo glad that you were not hurt. And thank you for reminding us, again, that we must never let our guard down when it comes to our illness. Again..I am so glad that you were not hurt Steve!

Peace and Blessings
NamasteS
Saysusie

giggle
09-18-2011, 04:41 PM
I've been away for a bit and keeping up is hard! lol

So glad it wasn't worse Steve!! To be honest... I put myself in dangerous situations daily... and I know they are dangerous... but I do it anyway. I can't seem to bring myself to stop... and I wonder constantly what it will take for me to stop. Im a bit scared of the day something like this happens to me and I learn my lesson. I have had many brain pauses while driving... one day it was so bad, I forgot to close my car door... I was literally driving with it open, not just not close properly... but I mean, the door was OPEN. I only noticed when I went around the corner and it slammed shut!!! That same day while driving I had a brain pause and when I 'came out of it' I thought the cars on the opposite side of the road were going to hit me, I didn't know where I was and I was shaking.
In reality... it isnt safe for me to be driving. But what else can I do? I need to get to work.

I would hate to think of what would have happened if you didnt come out of it as well as you did steve!!

steve.b
09-18-2011, 09:50 PM
giggle,
please be careful,
if driving is such a problem, i again remind you that there is the option of disability pension.
it is not a lot, but it is an option.

i remember your problems trying to get a doctor to sign papers, but it is worth trying.

i went bankrupt, when i went on to the pension, i lost all of our toys, but i am alive and can survive.

hurting yourself is not a good option to follow.
it you are playing your aces all at once, all the time, trouble will eventually catch up with you.
please be careful.

this is the message i was trying to convey........
do not risk it all the time, accept that you cannot do everything !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!