PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Irene

lacey50
08-26-2011, 10:12 AM
I just want to let anyone who may be in harms way, due to hurricane Irene, my prayers will be with you.
God Bless.

rob
08-26-2011, 11:30 AM
We're ready for Irene up here in Maine. The generator is primed, and I'm stocked up on beer and toilet paper...

Folks down south stand to bear the brunt of this one. I hope this storm for them simply peters out, or passes them by with the minimum of damage.

Rob

Saysusie
08-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Beer and toilet paper....absolute essentials for disaster preparedness (rofl)

red246
08-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Rob,
Sounds like you're well prepared! LOL Found out, from the neighbors, our basement will probably flood, hopefully not above the plastic pallets!

tgal
08-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Beer and toilet paper....absolute essentials for disaster preparedness (rofl)

LOL That was funny!

Nonna
08-27-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm praying and thinking good thoughts. My family lives on the Jersey shore. They say they can't go inland be ause the rivers are flooding from previous storms. So they've battened down the hatches and go to my cousins house five mile inland. Praying for all.
Hugs to you Red

magistramarla
08-27-2011, 03:24 PM
My daughter lives in Greenwich Village, in Manhattan. She is well prepared. She lives in an apartment on the 23rd floor, and her husband is traveling. Their apartment faces south, toward the financial district, and the entire south wall is windows.
However, she is cat-sitting on the 15th floor, in an apartment that faces onto a sheltered courtyard and she is apartment sitting in another one that is on the 4th floor and faces the street.
She has four friends spending the weekend with her that have been evacuated from Rockaway Beach. They have decided to hang out with the cat on the 15th floor, with plenty of cheese, wine and good rum.
She has storm-readied all three apartments - taped windows, garbage-bagged electronics, filled tubs, turned freezers as low as possible, and stocked all three fridges with extra ice and water. They are well-stocked.
She has a great last resort, too. She is in charge of her Neurobiology lab at NYU, since her boss is traveling. They just received an extra shipment of water and food for lab animals, so they have a month's worth of plenty of water. The lab building also has it's own generators, since it is filled with labs with sensitive equipment. Because of that, she moved a lot of her perishable food to the fridge in the lab.
They are going to hunker down and have quite a hurricane party tonight. Since one of the friends who is staying with her is a three-star chef at the Plaza, I have the feeling that they will have a very nice party, even if it is by candle light.
I'll still be glad to hear from her once it is all over!
Hugs,
Marla

rob
08-27-2011, 03:52 PM
My daughter lives in Greenwich Village, in Manhattan. She is well prepared. She lives in an apartment on the 23rd floor, and her husband is traveling. Their apartment faces south, toward the financial district, and the entire south wall is windows.
However, she is cat-sitting on the 15th floor, in an apartment that faces onto a sheltered courtyard and she is apartment sitting in another one that is on the 4th floor and faces the street.
She has four friends spending the weekend with her that have been evacuated from Rockaway Beach. They have decided to hang out with the cat on the 15th floor, with plenty of cheese, wine and good rum.
She has storm-readied all three apartments - taped windows, garbage-bagged electronics, filled tubs, turned freezers as low as possible, and stocked all three fridges with extra ice and water. They are well-stocked.
She has a great last resort, too. She is in charge of her Neurobiology lab at NYU, since her boss is traveling. They just received an extra shipment of water and food for lab animals, so they have a month's worth of plenty of water. The lab building also has it's own generators, since it is filled with labs with sensitive equipment. Because of that, she moved a lot of her perishable food to the fridge in the lab.
They are going to hunker down and have quite a hurricane party tonight. Since one of the friends who is staying with her is a three-star chef at the Plaza, I have the feeling that they will have a very nice party, even if it is by candle light.
I'll still be glad to hear from her once it is all over!
Hugs,
Marla

That's a good plan. Sounds like she has all the bases covered and then some.

Weather has been nice here all day, but now it's getting really cloudy and humid suddenly, and I can feel the barometric pressure changing. The storm track shows the eye of the storm passing about 35 miles to my West in the late afternoon tomorrow. Everything here is pretty much closed up, and the marina is almost empty except for a Penobscot County Sheriff's boat, and a Coast Guard cutter. This weekend is the annual Bangor Folk Music Festival, which always runs Friday through Sunday, but the town is packing it all up tonight after an extended schedule for today, making up somewhat for all of tomorrow's activities being cancelled.

I'm all battened down and ready, so now it's just wait and see.

Rob

magistramarla
08-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Rob,
The weather guy on CNN just said that the storm will cross into Canada Monday evening, but will encounter air that is cool enough to make it fizzle out.
You are close to Canada, right. Hopefully, it will just be a bad thunderstorm by the time you see it.
Enjoy your beer!
Hugs,
Marla

rob
08-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Rob,
The weather guy on CNN just said that the storm will cross into Canada Monday evening, but will encounter air that is cool enough to make it fizzle out.
You are close to Canada, right. Hopefully, it will just be a bad thunderstorm by the time you see it.
Enjoy your beer!
Hugs,
Marla

Yes, the province of New Brunswick is just to the north, and Nova Scotia is to the east just across the bay. I spoke to a couple of people "in the know" earlier, and both of them predicted (off the record) that we'll most likely have sustained winds of 40-50 knots, and 2-3 inches of rain. So basically, it will probably be like you said, just a bad thunderstorm. Storms and severe weather are a pretty common thing up here. Although we're well prepared, we're not terribly worried about this storm.

kim,l
08-27-2011, 04:59 PM
good luck and stay safe all my whl friends i will be thinking of you hugs

tgal
08-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Keep Safe my friends. Let us know when the storm has passed and lights/power are back on

ritzbit
08-27-2011, 06:25 PM
My mom is obsessed with things like this. She's had the weather channels on all day hoping to see something interesting. Hoping everyone is safe. We just saw that about 1.4 million people are out of power. Thats terrible. Hurricane winds came thru Kentucky, yes Kentucky (lol), a few years ago and places around here were out for at lease a week and we were out of school for a few days because of power outtages and damage. I cant imagine an ACTUAL hurricane.

steve.b
08-27-2011, 08:23 PM
...The generator is primed, and I'm sto cked up on beer and toilet paper...

no shot gun shells?

to ward off river rats, neighbours wanting a free beer etc...

red246
08-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Rob,
I hope that by the time it gets up there it does calm down for you! As for us, it's been raining pretty steady all evening now. Picks up every now and again. And we've already had 3 tornado warnings & are under a tornado watch until sometime tomorrow. I really don't think I'll be getting much sleep since they boys, especially the youngest, are pretty scared. (((HUGS))) to all!

steve.b
08-27-2011, 08:33 PM
lauren,
i hope all goes well.
i have been in a small cyclone and it was scarey.
i can only imagine the boys fear.

thinking of you and your family.

red246
08-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks Steve. They are finally asleep. It's calm right now, but I know more is coming - ugh! We still have about 3-4 more hours until the eye gets up this way! Just hoping we don't have too much flooding over the next couple of days, it'd be way too much stuff to move out of the basement! LOL

steve.b
08-27-2011, 10:22 PM
.... it'd be way too much stuff to move out of the basement!

time for a garage sale?

rob
08-28-2011, 03:06 AM
no shot gun shells?

to ward off river rats, neighbours wanting a free beer etc...

No shotgun, but I do have a Steyr AUG rifle w/500 rounds of 5.56mm ammo. The beer is well protected!

As of this morning, as expected, it's raining hard, but no wind yet. The eye is directly over Atlantic City New Jersey right now. That's just about 500 miles south of me.

Bonita
08-28-2011, 07:26 AM
Rob you always keep s laughing i live in Lebanon pa and we have had alot of rain and big gusts of wind. The thing i worry about is our huge treet in the backyard so far many branches are off and it snapped my umbrella off in two from the picnic table and broke my very large clay flower pot but that is okay hope everyone is safe from danger. Love and prayers to all Bonita

rob
08-28-2011, 08:08 AM
Rob you always keep s laughing i live in Lebanon pa and we have had alot of rain and big gusts of wind. The thing i worry about is our huge treet in the backyard so far many branches are off and it snapped my umbrella off in two from the picnic table and broke my very large clay flower pot but that is okay hope everyone is safe from danger. Love and prayers to all Bonita

I've been seeing on the news that falling trees and falling branches are the main cause of injuries so far for this storm. Just stay inside, and ride it out Bonita.

I just poked my head outside and the rain drops are so big, and being blown with such force, that they sting when they hit you. Thought it was hail, but no, it's just raindrops the size of marbles. The wind is about 30 mph steady, so the show has definitely begun...

Stay safe everyone,

Rob

tgal
08-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Ya'll be careful. We deal with those quite often down here so I am thinking of all of you. Be safe and let us know when it has passed.

red246
08-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Rob,
Hope y'all are doing okay up there! We're still waiting to see what's going to happen when high tide hits. Half of our yard is currently under water, trying to keep the dogs out of it - HAH! I guess my garden it shot!

nicolehinkel
08-28-2011, 12:53 PM
The storm is definitely not as they predicted. I just went through it outside of Philadelphia between Philly and Trenton and yes there is a lot of power outages and downed trees and flooding but if you normally flood you will probably flood, but it is no where as bad as they said it would be and we have woods behind our house. There are about 1 million people in our news viewing area without power but just keep common sense. There where crazy tornado warnings and one actually confirmed.

rob
08-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Rob,
Hope y'all are doing okay up there! We're still waiting to see what's going to happen when high tide hits. Half of our yard is currently under water, trying to keep the dogs out of it - HAH! I guess my garden it shot!

The eye of the storm is about 200 miles away at this point. Power is out for most of the state, and I'm on the generator now. There's some trees down, and I see a streetsign laying in my front yard-ironically, it's a speed limit sign-45mph! The winds are about 60mph with 75mph gusts. Somebody needs to give mother nature a speeding ticket I think.

No other problems to report at this point. The eye will be closest to my location at 8:00 pm, putting it about 45 miles to the west of me.

Rob

tgal
08-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Please keep us posted! I am thinking about all of you!

magistramarla
08-28-2011, 10:27 PM
I heard from Heather this morning. They had a nice wine and cheese party last night while they watched the hurricane's progress on CNN.
They slept through the worst of the rain and wind, so she thinks that it wasn't too bad in her part of NYC. They never even lost power.
Her chef friend made wonderful breakfast sandwiches and took a cab to work. He was the only chef that made it into work in their kitchen, so he was a busy man today.
Both couples went back to their homes this evening and found little or no water damage.
Heather has been busy scrubbing tape goo from windows in three apartments. That is the worst effect of the storm that she has had to deal with.
Luckily for her, the lab is less than three blocks from her home, so she easily got into work and took care of things there, too.
As I had thought, she and her friends made the whole thing into a fun party.
Well, I'm no longer a worried Mom.
I hope that all of our WHL family has fared as well.
Hugs to all,
Marla

rob
08-29-2011, 06:50 AM
The power is back on already, and all that happened in Maine was some minimal property damage, mostly downed trees, and some minor flooding which has mostly receded. Today, it's sunny, cool, and there's a nice breeze blowing.

The wind and rain was pretty impressive, but not really much different than a typical Noreaster, which we are used to dealing with.

Rob

tgal
08-29-2011, 11:09 AM
I am so glad that every member of our family made it through OK. I know red evacuated yesterday but at least that tells us she and her family are safe.

rob
08-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Our neighbors to the south in Vermont, got hit pretty hard. Massive flooding, and reports right now are that there were 19 people killed. The storm drifted west, and because of that, they were hit hard. Had the storm followed it's predicted path, or had it veered to the east, that could be have been us.

I was up most of the night, and got to sleep around 5am. I woke up at 9am and was really happy to take a walk around my property, and see no damage other than some tree branches down. My need to yell out that yes, we are OK here, was stopped abruptly upon hearing the news from Vermont. The New England states are small in area, and as a result, it's easy to meet, and to know well, the people in the next state over. We all have friends and family "in the next state over".

Unfortunately tonight, one of our local families, and the community, have lost a friend, and a family member, in the next state over.

Rob

red246
08-30-2011, 11:22 PM
Rob,
So sorry to hear about your loss! I have been reminding my children, mainly the youngest, how blessed we are to still be alive & have a roof over our heads!

We are finally home after being evacuated on Sunday afternoon. Our basement got flooded and I know we lost somethings, but I keep reminding everyone - they are only things! Nothing can take away the memories or the feelings that those memories bring. We did lose a lot of food after not having power for several days, but hey pb& j are quite nurishing as is tuna!

(((HUGS))) to all my "Lupie" family!

rob
08-31-2011, 03:54 AM
Rob,
So sorry to hear about your loss! I have been reminding my children, mainly the youngest, how blessed we are to still be alive & have a roof over our heads!

We are finally home after being evacuated on Sunday afternoon. Our basement got flooded and I know we lost somethings, but I keep reminding everyone - they are only things! Nothing can take away the memories or the feelings that those memories bring. We did lose a lot of food after not having power for several days, but hey pb& j are quite nurishing as is tuna!

(((HUGS))) to all my "Lupie" family!

I only lost a couple of trees, and some paint off the house. Those folks in Vermont are the ones who really got it bad.

I'm glad you're home safe. Sorry to hear about the flooding. Water damage is just the worst.

PB&J works for me! I would have lost all my food in the fridge/freezer had I not been here to fire up the generator. The power went off for a day, and came back on shortly and then off for another day. We had no evacuation orders here, but I would not have left anyway-that's just me. If I was responsible for a family and kids of the two-legged variety, I'd probably have a different attitude. Karen is pretty much like me as well-a bit stubborn at times. Her place came through this pretty much unscathed. Mom and Dad's place has some roof damage and downed trees, but all of this stuff here is fixable.

Rob

magistramarla
08-31-2011, 08:43 PM
Rob and Lauren,
I'm glad that you and your families are safe.
I've been seeing the news about Vermont, and it is really sad. Those New England states are so picture perfect and beautiful. It is really heartbreaking to see those covered bridges and quaint old buildings being destroyed. And it seems that the loss of life grows every day - so sad.

Isn't one of our members in upstate NY- Debbie, perhaps? I saw something in the news about flooding in Newburgh. That is a town near Pine Bush, where my husband grew up.
I hope that we get a report from our member who lives in that area.
Stay safe and dry!
Hugs,
Marla

red246
09-01-2011, 05:55 AM
Marla,
I know that Tracey, I think, is in NY. She just posted about her son dying in the military. She is in NY. Hubby and I were watching the news the other day and saw that this town that we drove through on our vacation was badly flooded, Wyndham. We also saw a bridge that we had driven over which was all but about covered w/the rushing water. I felt really bad when we saw that. Right before that bridge there was a crappy little gas station that we stopped at - I couldn't wait any longer - the potty felt like it was going to go through the floor! I seriously doubt that it's there anymore.

debbie-b
09-01-2011, 07:21 AM
Rob and Lauren,
I'm glad that you and your families are safe.
I've been seeing the news about Vermont, and it is really sad. Those New England states are so picture perfect and beautiful. It is really heartbreaking to see those covered bridges and quaint old buildings being destroyed. And it seems that the loss of life grows every day - so sad.

Isn't one of our members in upstate NY- Debbie, perhaps? I saw something in the news about flooding in Newburgh. That is a town near Pine Bush, where my husband grew up.
I hope that we get a report from our member who lives in that area.
Stay safe and dry!
Hugs,
Marla

Hi Marla,

Thanks for asking, we didn't get anything from Irene, here where I live.

Debbie

magistramarla
09-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Debbie,
Thanks for checking in with us. I'm glad that you weren't affected by the storm.
I think that Rochester is further North than Newburgh and Pine Bush.
Hugs,
Marla

Saysusie
09-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Rob; I am glad to hear that you and your family are OK, aside from some minor damage. I am sorry to hear of the loss of a friend and neighbor. My prayers go out to all of the families who have suffered and lost loved-ones. Sending you big warm hugs :-)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie