PDA

View Full Version : Injections?

ritzbit
08-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Are there any meds that I can ask my rheumy about that are basically the same as cellcept but are some form of an injection rather than a pill? I hate needles and I think reducing my pill load by 4 every day would help me a great deal. I'm willing to try anything else. I've heard of one that you do every like 6 months for 8 hours or something like that? I figured you guys would be the ones to ask!

magistramarla
08-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Ritz,
The only injection that I'm familiar with is Methotrexate. There are several threads here, such as "It's M Day", that you can read to get lots of information about it.
Your doc would probably be the one to determine if MTX or something similar could be substituted for Cellcept.
Hopefully, someone else will have a better answer.
Hugs,
Marla

Gizmo
08-24-2011, 10:11 PM
My daughter does methotrexate and loves that it's a once a week injection. The new lupus drug, Benlysta, is an IV infusion - I think it's once a month. I've heard mixed reviews from my rheumatology clinic (It's a BIG one). It's a different class of drug than cellcept, though.

ritzbit
08-25-2011, 04:45 AM
Ya me and my rheumy talked about it. She said it would benefit me but she said its up there with chemo so thats like a step above cellcept and she wouldnt make me take that yet. The med I heard a lot about on a facebook lupus page started with an R....Rituxan.....maybe? Something kinda like that. I heard it worked well for some people but I've never heard of it before.

bunny28
08-25-2011, 06:39 AM
The only injection, I have received was Cortisone (sol?). A steroid to try to avoid daily steroids. So I am no help but wanted to mention it as an injection. Good luck finding something with your doctor.