PDA

View Full Version : Veganism and Lupus??

azgirl
03-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Hello all. It's been a while since I posted here last. I wanted to find out if anyone else had any experience with this:

A couple of months ago, I became Vegan for ethical reasons. I no longer use anything that comes from an animal, be it for food, clothing or personal care. Since becoming Vegan, I haven't experienced any of my worst symptoms. Where I would have several bad days a month before, I've had one since I went Vegan. Nothing else has changed. I'm still on my medication, but it's the same stuff I've been on for years. It's never been this effective.

I'm honestly not trying to push this on anyone else. I don't care what you eat. This was a decision for me. I've been amazed at how great I feel. I have never felt this healthy, and I've even started to lose some of my prednisone weight.

Has anyone else heard anything about a possible link between diet and symptoms? A book I have mentioned something about veganism alleviating symptoms, but I'm always a little leery of just believing something. I know it works for me, but I figured I'd get some more feedback on it.

Thanks!

hatlady
03-28-2006, 03:55 AM
:D The site JUST came back online after about 3 months gone! So your timing is wonderful!

I switched to vegetarian - I will eat fish, I will eat dairy (in moderation - and I avoid most cheese). THat helped my symptoms. I think it is the lower saturated fat intake - and higher intake of Omega 3's, veggies and fruits.

Good for you for taking the extra step to vegan...I haven't had that discipline!

PattyLatty
03-28-2006, 09:33 AM
I switched to weightwatchers over a week ago and started taking ambien at the same time, and since then have had more good days than I've had in a long time. I suspect it's partly because I'm getting more rest, but the diet change has been good for me too. When I'm on weightwatchers I'm forced to eat more fruit and veggies and drink alot of water. I hardly eat any meat and have increased my consumption of tuna and other fish.

By the way, I make a blueberry-mango smoothie with a tiny bit of no fat frozen yogurt, lots of ice, and splenda, and it is so good it will bring tears to your eyes! If I don't have a mango I'll make a blueberry-banana smoothie. YUM!

I'm convinced, as you guys are, that diet really adds to my sense of well-being. :D [/quote]

PattyLatty
03-28-2006, 09:35 AM
What the heck? I typed weight watchers and "Fartknocker" came up on my post. What is that????

hatlady
03-28-2006, 10:52 AM
I was wondering what the heck a "fartknocker" was! Here I thought you were referring to Beano! :lol:

Weight watchers is a good program, we have several people around here on it.

I really think cutting out meats (beef, pork, even chicken and turkey, etc) makes a huge difference, as does cutting significantly on fried foods, cheeses, other sat-fats.

Saysusie
03-28-2006, 11:38 AM
OMG -
That was hilarious!! I was wondering what FARTKNOCKER was myself. This has happened before: Somehow, in the middle of our posts, this line (or a close rendition of this line) would pop up "your mother is calling, time to go home".
It is some sort of glitch.

Re: Vegan and Vegetarian
I am a pseudo-vegetarian for health reasons. I eat no red meats, no cheese and virtually no dairy. I do believe that it has helped me to maintain remission (along with regular exercise, medication and lifestyle changes)

Saysusie

hippimom2
03-29-2006, 03:45 PM
I've been a vegetarian for 18 years. I do eat some cheese and dairy once in a while, but not very often. I don't know about my diet having an effect on my lupus symptoms or not. I'm glad you are getting good results though.

Patty, the Fartnockers thing cracked me up. I was wondering if there was some great new fad diet out there that I hadn't heard about.

kelibeli
03-31-2006, 11:11 AM
Since becoming Vegan, I haven't experienced any of my worst symptoms. Where I would have several bad days a month before, I've had one since I went Vegan. Nothing else has changed. I'm still on my medication, but it's the same stuff I've been on for years. It's never been this effective.

Has anyone else heard anything about a possible link between diet and symptoms? A book I have mentioned something about veganism alleviating symptoms, but I'm always a little leery of just believing something. I know it works for me, but I figured I'd get some more feedback on it.

Thanks!

I have done a lot of diet research. I have spoken with many doctors about it and a holistic nutritionist. Here is what I come up with:

The reason a vegan diet could be helping you so much is that it promotes a healthy pH in your body. Meats, especially red meat, cheese, fats, etc leave an acidic residue in your body after being digested. Fruits and veggies are alkaline. You want your body to be slightly alkaline for optimum health. I do not follow a vegan diet, however there is a lot of good to be said about a vegan diet. I eat fish and eggs for the omega-3's and lean protein and I eat soured dairy products like yogurt for the calcium and probiotics.

All in all a vegan diet can be extremely healthful if you're smart about it. Be careful not to overdo soy products though. There is some controversy about whether too much can induce a flare.

azgirl
04-08-2006, 01:56 PM
I was reading a veg magazine this morning and found a mention of a book that goes into more detail about the link between eating and lupus. If anyone's interested, it's called The Vegan Diet and Chronic Disease Prevention, by Kerrie Saunders, PhD.