PDA

View Full Version : first week of work as a lupie

ruziska
08-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Well I got through my first week! This is the first 40 work week I've done since GASP 1986. That's not a typo. I got married in 87 and spent the next 19 years raising a family before going back to work part time. Had a year off (not my idea) and now this temp job that is supposed to last 4-6 weeks. It is also my first time working since my diagnosis although I was disguised as an arthritic in my last job. Anyhow, the work load hasn't been a problem, it has been those blasted inescapable florescent lights. Really tire me out. Last night I fell asleep middle of the evening which is a rarity for me. Headaches have been everyday (they go away within the hour of getting away from the lights) and my joints are quite achy. Nothing I can't handle, but it does make life difficult.
I've applied for a volunteer coordinator position that is only 20 hours a week. The hours are perfect, the pay above average for around here and the job description suits me perfectly. Time will tell. My lupus would prefer I only work sporadically but my desire for a paycheck demands otherwise...

steve.b
08-19-2011, 09:27 PM
i am happy to read this.

life has its little rewards.
you must be happy within yourself.

tgal
08-19-2011, 09:42 PM
I am so glad to know that things went well. Make sure to use a high SPF suntan lotion. It helps with the pain. If you can get away with a hat to that also. Sounds like it is going better than expected

Nonna
08-20-2011, 04:18 AM
Tips for fluorescent lights at work:
1 - prayer that the light bulb near you burnout soon and tell everyone not to replace.
2 - where tinted glasses, it helps with the headaches
3 - try to get up and move around. Stretching the muscles and moving seems to help. I pop my head out the door and get fresh air.

Hope this helps

magistramarla
08-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Rita,
I'm crossing my fingers that you get that volunteer coordinator position. It sounds perfect for you.
Hugs,
Marla

Nonna
08-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Have another hint, iwas cold so I had my shawl on. My neck got cold from a draft so I draped the shawl over my head. It's like a little tent. Pretty cool-
Back to work

chikititalinda
08-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Im glad things are looking up for you. Hopefully you'll get the part time job, sounds like the best of both words. You'll have a paycheck you can count on and on the hand get the rest you so much need!