PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used IUDs?

KCat
08-18-2011, 12:02 PM
That's pretty much all I am asking? Have you used them and if so was there a problem or not? Doc says they are "not contraindicated" but...

tgal
08-18-2011, 12:18 PM
I did a very long time ago. I loved it. Kind of our way of using a condom. Easy and effective with no hormone changes

KCat
08-18-2011, 05:58 PM
tgal - was this before you became symptomatic? or while? I'm concerned about it being an issue with the lupus

nicolehinkel
08-18-2011, 07:06 PM
I used the mirena because I have endometriosos and mine came out within a week but the week that it was in was terrible for me. The mood swings because it's total progesterone was horrific. It was a relief when it came out.

tgal
08-18-2011, 07:52 PM
tgal - was this before you because symptomatic? or while? I'm concerned about it being an issue with the lupus

No, it was before. I would check with your doctor but I can't see why there would be any problems unless your body has changed and you are now allergic to latex. As I said before I am not doctor but it seems to me that there would be less problems with this then with pills.

Nonna
08-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Don't know if you are still interested in answers.
I had two. No problems with the first one; but at the time you where supposed to change them out after a year or two, can't remember which. Anyway the second one decided to travel. My uterus was already whacked out, but this didn't help or hinder. I had my second baby anyway.

As to whether or not the IUDs were a factor in the way Lupus/Cancer caused the hysterectomy - I can't answer.

But I loved the IUD at the time.

KCat
08-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks - yes, I'm still interested in any experiences anyone has had. No, I'm not allergic to latex. Specifically we're actually considering Mirena to help control cramps so there would be some progesterone involved but systemically a very tiny amount. It has not caused a problem in pill form so I can't imagine it would in IUD form. I'm more concerned about any local effects in terms of long-term cramps which is a side effect for some women apparently.

But, I've got time to decide of course.

Nicole - you just never know, do you? The main reason I went on an estrogen/progesterone pill 20 years ago was because I was so emotionally labile each month. So coming off the pill I expect to be erm...difficult. I don't know what, if anything, to expect from progesterone only. I would *hope* a bit of balance by comparison to nothing at all. but who knows. It could be pure D hell. And it may not even happen. But it's an option I'm exploring. I appreciate the answers very much.

Tangential but WRT to the unpredictability of that 2% of negative reactions to meds: I was put on Sonata some years ago for sleep. Took it three nights in a row and had three nights in a row of horrific kidney pain. when I told the doctor she said, "That can't be. That only happens in like 2% of the population." Um. Yeah. Well, guess what! :P Someone has to be the 2% dimwit! (I didn't say that, just thought it)

oh well. Thanks again.

AuburnShadow
11-28-2011, 10:23 AM
I have had the Mirena for 4 yrs now. I LOVE it. I cannot use the pill or any other BC anymore due to HBP. I have to have something because I have such horrible monthlies with pain, moodswings and anger issues. So this was/is my last option. I was diagnosed borderline Lupus a year ago and active two months ago. However, upon reviewing my symptoms and thinking back on my life, apparantly I have had symptoms for YEARS just not diagnosed. Do not think IUD is an issue...at least not with me.

Don't know if this helped at all and prolly way too late to be of any but for what it's worth....

SBW8
11-28-2011, 03:59 PM
I have the paragard IUD and I absolutely love it. I do not do well on hormonal birth control at all so this has been a wonderful change. I don't have any kids so I had to take a certain medication to have the IUD inserted but since then I have had no problems.

Hope this helps!

steve.b
11-28-2011, 06:49 PM
hello auburn shadow,
welcome to our cyber family.
it is never too late to comment on an important issue.

glad to see you are looking around at our threads.
they are our personal experiences in our jouney with lupus.
please feel free to comment where you feel appropriate.

again welcome.

AuburnShadow
12-01-2011, 08:53 AM
hello auburn shadow,
welcome to our cyber family.
it is never too late to comment on an important issue.

glad to see you are looking around at our threads.
they are our personal experiences in our jouney with lupus.
please feel free to comment where you feel appropriate.

again welcome.

Thank you very much.
I have many questions and am reading looking for answers. I particularly wanted to hear from people who actually have Lupus and other issues, to know I am not crazy. Because I wonder sometimes. I think I will post some questions where appropriate and to see what you have to say. I have wandered around the neighborhood(cyberville) and honestly I like the people in this one the best. You all seem very friendly and helpful. Plus you are very active here.

Thanks again and I will be sure to visit with you guys. Know I am 'looking around' and getting to know you all.

AuburnShadow

Mommyof1
12-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Hello there. I have been diagnosed since 2008..first UTCD and finally lupus last year. I had my daughter(3rd pregnancy; 2nd birth..first ended in m/c)in sept of 2010. That january I had the Mirena IUD inserted I had tried the low dose bc pill after my son back in 2007 but it did NOT do well with me at all due to hormones. Every woman in my family who has tried it has gotten chest pains. I got that, horrible cramping, mood swings, anxiety and didn't even have a period but instead this weird discharge. So, after discussing with my drs they decided it be best for me to try the IUD this time. It was my only real option since all the others have systemic hormonal effects and the Mirena was also the least likely to interfere with my medications for lupus and epilepsy. The first 6 months was a trial run. First of all the worst cramping I got was right after it was inserted. It was def worse than regular menstrual period cramps(more like the early labor pains except on a lot smaller uterus! lol)and I had some spotting. After that my periods were a little off during the first 6 months and I got acne breakouts during that time while my body adjust8ed. After all that though, I'm very glad I have it. It is like someone else said earlier in the posts..."it's been our condom" lol...Now that my body is adjusted I have very light periods that occur the same time every month. I was 30-35 days in a cycle before the bc and now i'm every 28. I used to have bad cramps, backache, fatigue, headaches, nausea, etc and now I don't even cramp unless it's at the end of my period and it is very light cramping for maybe an hour if that. My periods can range from 1 day to 7 days in length. However, they are all very very light and spotted. I cannot use more than panti-liners or at the most a light tampon if that's what you prefer. If you decide to get the Mirena I hope you have success with it. I would personally def recommend it though. Good luck! -Britt

P.S. I have not had it interact with my lupus at all.

Nihao1.
12-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Hi,
I had the mirena hormonal IUD inserted at the beginning of this year, with no lupus issues arising. It hurt pretty bad when I had it inserted and for about an hour afterwards, even with pain relievers, but that's about it. It's nice to not have to worry about the pill or anything on a regular basis.