PDA

View Full Version : Headache

nicolehinkel
08-15-2011, 05:18 AM
I am going crazy. I have had headaches for about 20 years but not to the extent I have had for the last 6 weeks or so. I am in so much pain. The pain starts from where my skull meets my spine and goes upward. The only time I got any relief was when I had a sinus infection and was on prednisone but it was only while I was on 60 and 40 mg once I went to 20 and 10 they stopped helping. I am on an nsaid every day and my gp gave me tramadol hcl which I can't take the full dose while working because I'll fall over and considering I'm in the store myself that wouldn't be good. I don't see my rheumy until the 29th which will be the first time. Today is extremely bad and I'm not sure what to do to try to help get some relief. The last time I went to the chiropractor it actually made it worse and when my husband gave me a massage a few weeks ago it made my pain all over worse.

Ugh!

bunny28
08-15-2011, 05:57 AM
I am sorry to hear that you are suffering so badly. One of my biggest symptoms are headaches. They have been better since my GP put me on a daily med to decrease the frequency of migraine-type headaches. That with my Plaquinil seem to at least stop them from getting as bad as they used to. Could you see your GP for headache releif while waiting to see your rheumy? Also you could ask at the pharmacy. There are some over the counter meds used to treat migraines... for example I sometimes take a |Mercyndol" (sp?) which I think is basically an acetominophen with a codeine component that you can get without a prescription just to help manage things when I have to go to work and can't take my stronger meds. Please note that I am not suggesting this particular drug for you but just that you could ask the pharmacist and/or your GP so that you don't have to suffer in the meantime. Take care. Bunny

tgal
08-15-2011, 09:42 AM
Headaches were always an issue with me. My migraines actually started right where yours and at my eye until the both spread and met in the middle of one side. When I was spayed (LOL) most of my headaches went away. I still get them from time to time but not nearly as bad. Have you tried Excedrin Migraine? I know it sounds stupid but, if I caught the headache early enough the Excedrin would kick it. If I waited to long then it was of no used.

You might want to give that a try during the day when you can't take the other meds during working hourse

abbasgirl
08-15-2011, 01:12 PM
I belong to the headache/migraine club too. I took goody powders for headaches nearly every day of the week for about 12 years. Until I met my rheumy. She was able to help me get some of the problem under control because some was stemming from inflammation of the neck joint. It can get inflamed so easy and create some agonizing pain. It travels right up the back of the head to the eyes and jaws. I used to make many an ice pack for my neck and head to get some of the inflammation down to where I could bear it...and minimize any straining of the neck, even talking because if my jaw joints moved too much it would make my face and eyes just hurt more. Once the inflammation sets in across the head, anything strenuous sends out waves of pain. A lot of rest and ice and within a few days the inflammation would go down. But then I found my rheumy and have prescriptions for the pain or if it's really bad I get a medrol shot...if not from my rheumy I'll find a gp to give me one.

But I found out something interesting I didn't know for many years and after many different eye doctor visits. I recently found out that some of my headaches and migraines were coming from dry eye damage via Sjogren's. I found a great eye doc last year that has helped me so much and helped educate me a lot about eyes and headaches. If the eyes get dry enough it can trigger some nasty headaches as can dry sinuses too. Our bodies are so dang sensitive. Even one small problem can set off the immune system and trigger nasty stuff like migraines. If my neck hurts along with my head, it's so hard to figure out what caused what because migraines can make the back of the neck and head hurt too. If I'm not paying attention to where it starts when it starts, I can't pinpoint it sometimes. But the past six or seven months now I've noticed that the tops of my eyes will start to hurt so bad, then around my eyes, and then bam, a migraine is triggered and my whole head hurts. The only thing it will respond to is a prescription to a sumatriptan...and if I wait too long after taking it, it can take up to two hours to kick in.

It could be a number of things causing the headaches, but it sure sounds like inflammation in that joint. It could be stemming from somewhere in the discs lower down too, or it could just be inflamed muscle tissue. Headaches are awful puzzles to figure out. Maybe your gp would give you something until you see the rheumy. Or maybe call you in something? Have you tried an ice pack across your neck or maybe heat or swap them out? I tried that quite a few times before I found my rheumy and that along with time would help get the inflammation down. Do you think he or she would call you in a sumatriptan? It worked on my neck joint inflammation pain a few times. Imitrex is an oldie of the triptans and cheapest, I think. I love how great it works on the pain and even any nausea I may have with it, but it does a number on my GI tract. (I've got a touchy GI tract though) I wish I could afford the pricier triptans. I've tried samples of them and wow, they have out some wonderful cadillac migraine pills!

abbasgirl
08-15-2011, 01:15 PM
When I was spayed (LOL) most of my headaches went away. I still get them from time to time but not nearly as bad. Have you tried Excedrin Migraine? I know it sounds stupid but, if I caught the headache early enough the Excedrin would kick it. If I waited to long then it was of no used.

You might want to give that a try during the day when you can't take the other meds during working hourse

LOL...spayed? You're so funny.

Come to think of it, about the time I too got spayed I was taking less goody powders for headaches then. Interesting.

nicolehinkel
08-15-2011, 04:35 PM
My gp won't do anything for me, he says I have to wait to see the rheumy. I can't take the excedrin migraine or anything of the sort because it makes me so sick to my stomach. I am taking the tramadol and the nsaid and my pharmacist said just when I was on the nsaid that the only thing I can take is acetemetophin which does nothing for me. When my head hurts I get so frustrated. Everything annoys me. That being said I am very annoyed right now so I am going to go lay down until my wash is ready to go in the dryer and then will take my sleep meds and bed. Thanks for all the advice.

ruziska
08-15-2011, 04:59 PM
If you are still looking for advice, let me throw my 2cents worth in. Try putting an ice pack on the back of your neck. I've had migraines since I fractured my skull when I was 14. I've been to way too many doctors and tried way too many "remedies". Fortunately I've finally reached a point in my life that menopause actually relieved me of the majority of them. I did also learn, in addition to the ice pack, that even though my stomach may not be bothering me, if I took a tums or Pepto Bismol, it really helped too. Several of the docs told me there's a stomach/headache connection and it really did help ease the pain. When I do get a headache that I feel might go migraine, I also, on my own idea, take an antihistamine as the the headaches tend to center around my sinus cavities and that too has helped.

Good luck!

tgal
08-15-2011, 05:57 PM
If you are still looking for advice, let me throw my 2cents worth in. Try putting an ice pack on the back of your neck. I've had migraines since I fractured my skull when I was 14. I've been to way too many doctors and tried way too many "remedies". Fortunately I've finally reached a point in my life that menopause actually relieved me of the majority of them. I did also learn, in addition to the ice pack, that even though my stomach may not be bothering me, if I took a tums or Pepto Bismol, it really helped too. Several of the docs told me there's a stomach/headache connection and it really did help ease the pain. When I do get a headache that I feel might go migraine, I also, on my own idea, take an antihistamine as the the headaches tend to center around my sinus cavities and that too has helped.

Good luck!

Two great points! I used the ice pack too. I can almost guarantee that it will get better if I throw up. Gross, I know but if I puke and then do ice it does help