PDA

View Full Version : Gallium Scan side effects

SisterhasLupus
08-14-2011, 09:48 AM
My sister, who has lupus, landed in the hospital ten days ago and is still there because everytime they think she's well enough to go home, her temperature starts spiking again and her white blood cell count goes up. She has a horrible pain in her left side. Has anyone who has lupus ever had a Gallium scan, radioactive isotope is injected in the vein and then a special camera is scanned over your body to detect infection, inflammation or tumors? Does anyone know if this test causes any side effects to lupus patients?

tgal
08-14-2011, 10:18 AM
My sister, who has lupus, landed in the hospital ten days ago and is still there because everytime they think she's well enough to go home, her temperature starts spiking again and her white blood cell count goes up. She has a horrible pain in her left side. Has anyone who has lupus ever had a Gallium scan, radioactive isotope is injected in the vein and then a special camera is scanned over your body to detect infection, inflammation or tumors? Does anyone know if this test causes any side effects to lupus patients?

I am so sorry that I can't help you but I have never had that test. I did want to welcome you to our family. Others will be along that may have better information though. Please keep in mind that the website is slower on weekends so if you get no responses today I am sure you will get some tomorrow.

Elo
08-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Hey SisterhasLupus (: Welcome to the forum. It's very sweet and caring of you to join on behalf of your sister. I'm sorry to hear that she's in the hospital, and I really hope that she gets better soon.
Unfortunately, I can't help you with the subject of a Gallium scan :/ i haven't been sick very long, and haven't even had to be in the hospital, let alone get that test.
I would imagine, however, that she would have the same side effects... just.. possibly a little worse, depending on how sensitive she is D:
I really hope that she gets better soon, and that you get your answer.

According to this website here, (http://www.drugs.com/cg/gallium-scan.html) these are the possible side effects:
What are the risks of having a gallium scan?

Rarely, a person may develop a rash, swelling, or have a serious allergic reaction to the tracer medicine. The place where the tracer was given may become red, swollen, painful, or infected.
___
Since we can probably rule out the allergic reaction, i'd say she might just get a rash and possibly a sensitive area where they put in the tracer.

I'm no expert though, obviously...wishing you the best.

SisterhasLupus
08-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks, tpal. I am glad that trhis site is out here and that such caring people are on it. I have MS and post pretty regularly on the national site for that disease, so it's nice to see several sites for lupus sufferers. I will continue to check back to see if anyone else responds. Have a great day!

SisterhasLupus
08-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Thx Elo. You all are very kind on this website. It's nice of you to send best wishes to my sister. I will definitely let her know that the folks on WeHaveLupus.com care. I am not able to visit my sister everyday because I am dealing with symptoms from an MS exacerbation. But my older sister calls and asks me to look up information about what the doctors are doing so that we can be as informed as possible. And I can do that from home, so it is a way for me to stay involved when I can't get to the hospital. I can't wait until tomorrow when I plan to get back up there to see my sister as long as I don't have a setback today.

Take care and thanks again for your reply,
Sisterhaslupus

Bonita
08-14-2011, 11:38 AM
I had a pet scan and i do not know if it is the same thing or not to rule out cancer or anything else that would show up on the scan if it is i did not have any side effects but it showed something in my colon and that i also had myositis. Hope this was helpfull Bonita

tgal
08-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks, tpal. I am glad that trhis site is out here and that such caring people are on it. I have MS and post pretty regularly on the national site for that disease, so it's nice to see several sites for lupus sufferers. I will continue to check back to see if anyone else responds. Have a great day!

The other moderator, Rob, has MS and Lupus. I can't imagine what y'all go through. Anyway, welcome aboard!

SisterhasLupus
08-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Thanks for responding Bonita. This is helpful.

tgal
08-14-2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks for responding Bonita. This is helpful.

You know I am not thinking well right now but my brother had a stroke about a
Month ago and he had that! There are several kinds and one of them is so strong that the person should have no visitors that are pregnant, want to get pregnant or has young children for 2 weeks after. The reason I know this is they got confused on which one he was getting and everyone was told to stay away. Two days later they changes their mind and figures out he was getting the milder version. You might want to have you sister check on thT.

Hope that helps (ignore bad typing or crazy words... I on my iPhone and my fingers shake so bad it is like playing "what Sid mari mean!! Lol)

steve.b
08-15-2011, 12:20 AM
hi sisterhaslupus,
sorry i cannot help with any info on the scan.

but i did want to say hi.

hi

thank you for being a caring sister