PDA

View Full Version : going to work-may this one last!

ruziska
08-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Hey Everyone!
Well, keep your fingers crossed please!! I got another assignment from the temp agency yesterday. This one starts Monday and is supposed to run 4-6 weeks working administration at the college.
May this one actually go the distance and not only one day. I will admit I'm quite nervous after the last incident. This one is also ABOVE ground and there's a strong possibility it will have windows and natural sunlight. Will still be covered in sunscreen but the concentration of florescent lights should be lower. Its also a newer building with newer light fixtures.
I know the political climate of that college and although their political views are different from mine, they are more open minded and much nicer to deal with therefore I'll be able to do what I was hired to do and not get thrown in a pit of gossip, cliques and ridiculousness. I'll actually get to...work! what a concept!!

Gizmo
08-13-2011, 07:57 AM
Congratulations! I always thought it would be fun to work at a college. I hope it works out well for you.

tgal
08-13-2011, 09:21 AM
Congrats! My fingers are crossed for you!

Manderson
08-13-2011, 09:49 AM
I temped at a college once for a few weeks. I was in the English department in the evenings. Not much going on except taking calls for professors etc. Mostly read and once in a while someone would ask me to type up a test for them. I loved temping. I loved the flexibility of it and the knowing that if I didn't like the place, I'd be gone in a few weeks. I did one temp position which was 6 months and when it was over, the employees threw me a going away party. I got close with a few of the co-workers so it was bittersweet.

bunny28
08-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Congrats and good luck!

magistramarla
08-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Rita,
I love college campuses! We're so nerdy, we often go visit campuses when we're visiting a new city. We especially love campus bookstores - Jeff goes to the Math, Science and Computer Science sections and I get lost in the Classical Studies and History sections. We always buy books!
I also loved temping - it's called substitute teaching in my profession. It was fun to walk into lots of different classrooms and learn a bit about different subjects. I also enjoyed working with the kids without having to do the grading and lesson plans.
Good luck at school!ugs,
Marla
H

steve.b
08-15-2011, 12:44 AM
i hope all goes well.

please update us after your first day.

Elo
08-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Good Luck!!!! We're all pullin' for ya here. I hope you like it and stay a while (:

ruziska
08-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Well dear fellow lupies, I made it through the first full time day in decades. It was SOOOOO much better than the fiasco of last week. The only issue I had and I know I'll be dealing with for the rest of my working life is the florescent lighting. It gave me a headache and bouts of extreme fatigue. I googled, looking for ways to combat the negative effects of florescent lighting and the only doable tip I could find was sunscreen. If anyone as any suggestions, please share. The job is scheduled to last 4-6 weeks and the pay isn't much more than minimum wage, but it's more than I was making before today which was nothing. I didn't get a call telling NOT to go back tomorrow so off to another day!

n.mac
08-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Congratulations!

magistramarla
08-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Rita,
I can't help you with the lights, since I don't have problems with them, but I wanted to say I'm glad that you liked the college job!
Hugs,
Marla

steve.b
08-15-2011, 10:17 PM
i am glad you survived day one.

may it get better !!!

Gizmo
08-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Well dear fellow lupies, I made it through the first full time day in decades. It was SOOOOO much better than the fiasco of last week. The only issue I had and I know I'll be dealing with for the rest of my working life is the florescent lighting. It gave me a headache and bouts of extreme fatigue. I googled, looking for ways to combat the negative effects of florescent lighting and the only doable tip I could find was sunscreen. If anyone as any suggestions, please share. The job is scheduled to last 4-6 weeks and the pay isn't much more than minimum wage, but it's more than I was making before today which was nothing. I didn't get a call telling NOT to go back tomorrow so off to another day!

Congratulations! Did you look into the bulb covers?

I have a job interview tomorrow morning at a clinic run by an osteopathic medical school. I would be a clinic receptionist, but the gal who did my phone interview hinted that I might be able to work in the "back office" as well. I'd really like to get back into nursing, and I've been looking for 8 months without success because my experience is so remote. The big question is whether I reveal that I have lupus, and whether I tell them I have a chronically ill daughter. I don't want to be deceptive, but I don't want to scare them away right off the bat...

magistramarla
08-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Gizmo,
My experience was remote, too. I hadn't taught Latin in 20 years when I was hired to start a brand new program. I had been subbing for 9 years.
I was scared to death, but I marched into that classroom and made it into my own little Roman world. I had a wonderful seven years of teaching and grew that little program into something special. I had several kids earn top awards in state contests, many go onto successful college careers and one who is studying archeology, one an aspiring theater/Latin teacher and one who is a Classics major who aspires to be a college professor.
I wish that my health hadn't cut my teaching career short, but I can count my successes and I have some great memories.
Good luck with the job - I'll bet that you will ease back into nursing very readily.
Hugs,
Marla

Gizmo
08-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Actually, just getting an interview is tough. Everyone wants 3-5 years of RECENT (read no years of unemployment for taking care of your children) experience. We've had so many encounters with clinics and hospitals and doctors offices. I KNOW I could do better than at least 50% of the people behind the reception desk, but I can't even get calls returned to do that.

I love teachers! I worked in public schools as a paid volunteer coordinator and educational assistant for 10 years. I'd go back to that, except I need at least one full day off a week for my daughter's appointments and my drug study infusions.