PDA

View Full Version : a question for the ladies on the board

Tammy2011
08-12-2011, 09:23 PM
i was wondering if anyone who is on plaquenil 200 mg twice a day dyes their hair ? i have minimal hair loss just a few strands here and there also i have been anemic my whole life and since ive been staying out of the sun i am white as a ghost lol what do you put on to get some colour on your face that wont make you have a flare thanks alot im going on vacation sunday for a week and i dont want to look sick

magistramarla
08-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Tammy,
I get highlights in my hair about 3 times per year.
I've never had any problems with the chemicals that are used.
Hugs,
Marla

lovedbyHim
08-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Hi Tammy, well as you can see in my profile my hair is white (smile). Hereditary thing I went with. I am in the sun most of the day and slather in sunscreen, so my face has a gold tone to it. I use very little makeup. Winter I use lots of color on ly eyes and lips to deal with the white out(lol). I'm paranoid about tanning pigments, but I saw some at the health food store. If I were to use a fake tanner, that is where I would go for it. Have a wonderful time!

bunny28
08-13-2011, 05:06 AM
I do and so far haven't had a problem. I didn't know there could be a problem to be honest until last time I did it. For some reason someone asked me about any complications and I started wondering and looked it up I think. Honestly, depending on which kind of dye I use, I occasionally get some tingling during application and once had an itchy scalp but I am not sure it was related to meds or just the type of dye. I have only been on Plaq for about 6 months so my experience with both together is limited but I can't say that I have noticed a difference to pre-diagnosis/plaq.

Tammy2011
08-13-2011, 06:57 AM
thanks everyone i think im going to try it ill let you all know how i make out

ruziska
08-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Yes, I dye my hair. I've done so for 5 years now. I am a natural very light blond and one of those strange chicks that instead of going from dark to blond, I went the opposite. I like dark hair better and I also intend not to go gray for a very long time! I do have a problem with some of the brands causing my scalp to itch during the process and the first night thanks to psoriasis which also acts up in hot weather. My hair has recently started to thin. I've always had a problem with my hair holding color and back in the days of perms, mine wouldn't last long, the hair stylist said that was due to my hair type (super fine and super belligerent!). I haven't had a perm in decades (one of the things I don't miss about the 80's!)
As far as makeup is concerned: I keep it to a minimum when not working, just sunscreen/moisturizer and I "do" my eyes. I have a couple of color correction makeups that have a green tint to them to counteract the redness of the malar rash. Physician's Formula makes a great foundation base, powder and concealer with green tints. I also, to my delight, found a powder color corrector made by ELF and sold at Target for only $1!! Wonderful stuff! Also, as I've mentioned in earlier threads regarding the malar rash, learned to coordinate my wardrobe around the malar rash, I'm not kidding and I choose my hair color for the same reason. Sounds crazy, but we do what we have to do to look our best and feel good about ourselves.

Nat
08-13-2011, 07:12 AM
Hi Tammy, I take 400mg of plaq per day for the last year or more, I dye my hair probably about once every 2 months n have had no dramas. My hair thinned heaps frm starting methotrexate but other than that, no issues. Sorry can't help u abt the colour in ur face tho, I have olive skin and am not photosensitive so I still go out in the sun. You could try bronzers tho!

tgal
08-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Hi Temmy (the one with numbers in her name ) LOL,

When I was having blisters in my head the doctor told me that I had to go 3 months without a blister before I could dye it. Considering that I am 3/4 gray now (not the beautiful white that the other Tammy has) my hair was horrible! I counted down the days when my last blister went away and colored it at EXACTLY 3 months. LOL

As long as you aren't having rashes or blisters... go for it!

Manderson
08-13-2011, 09:56 AM
I have psoriasis on my scalp so coloring my hair actually helps my P.

As for makeup - pish! I always look like I'm ready to be autopsied. I can never find the right color even when I go to the makeup counters at Macy's or Bloomies. Even the lady at Mary Kay couldn't find anything that would help without looking like pancake makeup.

Elo
08-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Small tingling/itching sensations are normal even for healthy people, as long as it's not too much.
As far as makeup for color..I don't wear any. I'm normally rather pale, and with not being in the sun so much, i'm now *extremely* pale. But I don't mind it - I don't wear anything for it. The only makeup i'll ever wear is mascara and maybe eyeliner. I prefer to play with it, rather than against it. Just the eyeliner and mascara makes my skin pop, as well as any gloss.
In the autumn or winter though, I like to use neutral colors. A light brown or gold eyeshadow, and chapstick/lip color.

If I could continue to color my hair, I would. My boyfriend likes my natural hair color though (blonde), instead of the dark brunette I'd rather be, hehe.

Tammy2011
08-13-2011, 10:47 AM
wow lots of great information and tricks i knew i could count on you lol thats why i came here first well i chickened out my hubby was like" i wouldnt do it if your worried about your hair falling out" lol i have very thin and fine hair to begin with so i got scared and just bought the coloured mousse lol but ill get braver as time goes on im sure so when i do ill let you all know how i made out lol thanks again ...Tammy

ritzbit
08-13-2011, 12:10 PM
I dont dye my hair or wear make up but I love spray tans if you want a little color. Im really self conscience of my incredibly pale skin so I do that every so often to get some color, especially for big events and stuff. Everyone thinks they make you orange but I have a woman spray me and it looks very natural.

Nonna
08-13-2011, 07:48 PM
FYI all I have thin fine hair that's been falling out for thirty years. I've been on 400 plaquinel since December 2009

I dye my hair and it's still here. I actually gives it more body

Nonna

Tammy2011
08-13-2011, 07:54 PM
I dont dye my hair or wear make up but I love spray tans if you want a little color. Im really self conscience of my incredibly pale skin so I do that every so often to get some color, especially for big events and stuff. Everyone thinks they make you orange but I have a woman spray me and it looks very natural.

do you go to a place that sprays you ? how much does something like that cost if you dont mind me asking?

ritzbit
08-13-2011, 08:32 PM
If I remember right because its been awhile since I've been able to do it cost something like $30 but the tan lasts while. I went somewhere where I went into a room and a woman sprayed me. I love them but I cant get them very often lol I dont have a job.

Manderson
08-14-2011, 07:07 AM
Jergens makes a moisturizer that has a self tanner in it. I use it in the winter; while it doesn't give me "color" per se, I do look a little less unhealthy.

tgal
08-14-2011, 09:11 AM
I just want to let all of you ladies know that I now hate each and every one of you (LOL). No longer can I wear make up or or most creams because they cause rashes. The best I can do now is a tad bit of eyeshadow and mascara although the mascara is not much good now that I am losing my eye lashes! Between the weight gain and the loss of eyelashes I am just pretty as a picture LOL

magistramarla
08-14-2011, 06:41 PM
I have psoriasis on my scalp so coloring my hair actually helps my P.

As for makeup - pish! I always look like I'm ready to be autopsied. I can never find the right color even when I go to the makeup counters at Macy's or Bloomies. Even the lady at Mary Kay couldn't find anything that would help without looking like pancake makeup.

Manderson,
This reminded me of something. I also have psoriasis, and I've had problems with sores in my scalp since I was a teen, long before it was diagnosed.
I was another one of those ladies who had the curly perm back in the '80s, and I always noticed that the sores in y scalp would heal up completely for a while after the perm.
Lately, all I get is highlights, but that seems to help my scalp, too.
Hugs,
Marla

magistramarla
08-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Awww Mari,
We all think you're cute!
Hugs,
Marla