PDA

View Full Version : Back from the ER

JuliaL
08-12-2011, 05:55 PM
It's been a tough 24 hours. The joint swelling was getting worse and I had a bad Crohn's attack besides. My GI tract is SO unhappy and I have no idea what triggered it. Anyhoo, since my usual bag of tricks wasn't helping at all and I was miserable, i dragged myself to the ER in the middle of the night. Anyone who knows me knows how much I hate the ER and what lengths I'll go to avoid it, lol, but I didn't see any other options.

So, I lucked out -- the ER wasn't busy and the ER doc wasn't a jerk. He was quite concerned and tried to get ahold of my GI doc but he was out of town. He ordered IV fluids, steroids, and anti-nausea meds and sent me home with orders to take 60 mg. of pred. for the first 3 days and taper from there, plus more anti-nausea and pain pills. If it's not a lot better within 48 hours, I need to go back to be admitted to the hospital, they said.

I think my body is taking a beating from this stupid heat and the heat is making my diseases much more active, too. I had been feeling a bit better but now the pain is coming back so I need to take a second dose of the meds, sigh.

Elo
08-12-2011, 06:34 PM
That sucks :( I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope that you do get better in the next 48 hours and don't have to go back. I've been really lucky with never having to go to the hospital, let alone the ER, so i'm really amazed that you had the guts to do that yourself.
Best of luck - feel better soon!

Gizmo
08-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Bummer! I wish things were going better for you right now, Julia. Hopefully the meds and fluids will start to turn things around for you. If not, don't drag your feet about going back to the hospital.

tgal
08-12-2011, 07:28 PM
I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. I understand about the heat causing trouble. I am in Houston and we have been in the upper 90s since March and have gone approximately 17 in my area over 100. I am basically home bound because of the weather. I had to take my daughter school shopping this past weekend and I am still paying for it. We didn't spent much time in the heat but the car ride about killed me

Please take it easy and stay out of the heat. It can cause so much trouble for you. Please keep us posted on how you are doing

magistramarla
08-12-2011, 10:01 PM
Julia,
I hope that those meds work soon and that you feel better.
Stay cool!
Hugs,
Marla

bunny28
08-13-2011, 05:00 AM
I am sorry you are feeling so rotten but glad to hear the trip to the ER was better than expected. Stay cool.

lupyme
08-15-2011, 01:06 PM
I'm so sorry you're feeling bad. ERs SUCK!! But I'm glad that they are there! Take care of yourself. Pamper yourself a while. I'm in Dallas, TX and I asked my rhuemy's PA why the summer seemed to make me sicker. She said there's more UV light. She told me not to even ride in a car without sunblock. I must confess, I keep forgetting to buy sun block. I'm staying out of the sun though. Maybe you can add to your arsenal some sun block. Just a thought.