PDA

View Full Version : occupational therapist visit

kim,l
08-11-2011, 05:22 PM
well had visit from occupational therapists yesterday 1 woman and man need more rails in bathroom and bed rail also had bit of embarrasing moment they wanted to see how i got up and down on the toilet was not my finest hour they believe bathroom is not up to code as it is hard for me to fit walker in let alone wheel chair so they are coming back with inspectors also bringing me toilet raiser seat and have booked me in for physiotherapy have to go on waiting list want me to shift my food cupboards around so i can reach easier asked lot of personel questions was a little scared they may have thought i could not look after myself or my daughter mikaela but we do have family help and i pointed that out they also asked would we be willing to go into apartment as it would be smaller and this house is to big and has enormous yard which i never use we said yes if it was ground floor or had a lift so they may reccomend moving us yet

lovedbyHim
08-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Wow that was quite a visit! I have to tell you, I have been in some of the new housing apartments and they ate beautiful! Wide open kitchens to move around freely. Bathrooms are huge. I hope you get one like that!

Gizmo
08-11-2011, 08:24 PM
That sounds like a very fruitful visit. Being from the U.S. where folks with disabilities don't get much government help, I am curious. If my questions are too personal, please feel free to tell me. Are you in some sort of government housing where they can tell you that you need to move? Is that why your bathroom has to be "up to code?" I always have thought of Australians as very similar to Americans in their independent spirit, i.e. not wanting the government to tell us what to do. Granted, I think it is wonderful and amazing that you are being given this kind of support. Do most disabled people in Australia get services like this?

magistramarla
08-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Kim,
What great news for you! I know that our move from a huge house to our nice little duplex made a huge difference for me. It is also wonderful to just call maintenance when something breaks and to just sit and watch the professional landscapers do the yard work. That's why I dread moving back to our house.

I hope that you get a shiny new roomy apartment - you and your family deserve it!
Hugs,
Marla

kim,l
08-14-2011, 12:52 AM
gizmo yes i am in goverment housing yes we do get disabled support and housing but waiting list apply same for occupational therapist and physio and yes these are free services if you wait i have nowalso qualified for free meds for the rest the year because my whole family has spent 600 dollars on meds

Nonna
08-14-2011, 02:50 AM
Hope you get the new place you need, and I know about spending a lot on meds. I spend 200-300 on myself andthe is just my copays. So hugs to you Kim

Bonita
08-14-2011, 06:50 AM
Kim i hope that you get all the help you and your family need soon. You are always in my prayers. Bonita

Gizmo
08-14-2011, 08:10 AM
Hope you get the new place you need, and I know about spending a lot on meds. I spend 200-300 on myself andthe is just my copays. So hugs to you Kim

We spend over $1000 a month, $400 alone on generic Zofran for my daughter. We found out the wholesale price is less than $20. And that is with "good" drug coverage. I need to go back to work just to pay for the drugs.