PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Trail Backpacking!

lovedbyHim
08-11-2011, 05:32 AM
Well I have set a goal to go backpacking on the Appalachian trail in New Jersey, in October. I will need to keep working hard walking daily rain or shine because it is a 5 day 10-15 miles a day hike with 30 lbs on my back. I am purchasing ultra light everything & since I'm going with a friend she will carry the stove.

Last night I had chills and today a fever & sores in my mouth and nose due to some stress I have been under. I am off work and sleeping it off today I hope.

I will keep this goal in my heart and pray it comes to fruition. I hiked last weekend 4 miles in pouring rain and did great. Well I fell twice. Lol. Mud slide pushed me though. Lol.

steve.b
08-11-2011, 06:54 AM
stress will stop you, if you are not careful.

please do not overdo the preperation.

i know you need the escape.

lovedbyHim
08-11-2011, 08:00 AM
stress will stop you, if you are not careful.

please do not overdo the preperation.

i know you need the escape.

Yes stress will stop me and that is why I am escaping to the woods regularly. I am also putting boundaries up with the BF and told him so. I also pulled out of prison ministry, as it will require 3 sleepless nights of preparation and I know sleep is vital for my health. I can't take that risk. There are other prison ministries nearby that don't require staying up late in a hotel and getting up after 3 hrs sleep to travel. Boundaries are vital for our stress level to be made reasonable.

I'm trying my best to get stronger and stay balanced. Volatile boyfriends don't help. But, I am a scrapper from childhood. I can beat this.

Thanks for caring.

Gizmo
08-11-2011, 08:06 AM
I admire your fortitude - after all you have gone through this summer. I hope it works out for you!

panda_lupo
08-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Oh Linda!!! Best of Luck

and i have to tell you......... you inspire me to reach for my goals harder!!1

lots of love
Panda

Elo
08-11-2011, 09:44 AM
DANNNNGGGGG WOMAN!!
Does anything stop you? (:
(The answer, my friends, is no. Except possibly a chocolate break, but I digress...)
That's amazing! I'm definitely rooting for you... but don't push yourself too hard. Ooh, and it might be a good idea to set aside some time after the backpacking so you can relax and recuperate (:
Good luck!!

lovedbyHim
08-11-2011, 11:30 AM
DANNNNGGGGG WOMAN!!
Does anything stop you? (:
(The answer, my friends, is no. Except possibly a chocolate break, but I digress...)
That's amazing! I'm definitely rooting for you... but don't push yourself too hard. Ooh, and it might be a good idea to set aside some time after the backpacking so you can relax and recuperate (:
Good luck!!

Lol I love to push my limits as far as I can, just to experience the unknown. I think I will do a two night three day backpacking on the Loyalsock trail in PA in a couple weeks to test myself. I will probably do this one alone. I bought an awesome sleeping bag and tent. I need to purchase a better knife and rainsuit yet and I am ready! I have a lot of vacation days left to play with, because I rarely use them for fear of needing them for a flair. I will take an extra day to relax after the hikes . I'll let you know if I meet any bears.

steve.b
08-12-2011, 03:39 AM
I need to purchase a better knife ....

this line reminds me of crocodile dundee.
"that is not a knife"

you and bears.......

lovedbyHim
08-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Hello my dear friends. Well this weekend I am going to the mountains for an 30 mile trek where the falls are endless! I am so excited! I did buy a grand knife today and mace, lol. I will take pics and tell you how I managed. I enter the woods Thursday night and come out Sunday afternoon. I have to cross streams and the rain has been heavy here, but the ranger thinks it should be ok. Lol wish me luck? I keep trying to think of ways to look frumpy and dogged out so noone bothers me. Any ideas?

Gizmo
08-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Don't shave this week LOL!

n.mac
08-15-2011, 06:50 PM
This friday right after work I will drive about an hour west to starved rock state park where I keep my 38' trailer(sleeps 10).
after starting up the hot water heater and stocking the fridge with bottled water,I'll sweep the deck and make sure I have enough firewood-I'm sure we'll want popcorn or smores later after dark....maybe some wine.

Now thats my idea of roughing it-

I do have a copy of National Geographic magazine with an articule on the Appalacian Trail so I will be there in spirit with you!

lovedbyHim
08-17-2011, 03:41 AM
This friday right after work I will drive about an hour west to starved rock state park where I keep my 38' trailer(sleeps 10).
after starting up the hot water heater and stocking the fridge with bottled water,I'll sweep the deck and make sure I have enough firewood-I'm sure we'll want popcorn or smores later after dark....maybe some wine.

Now thats my idea of roughing it-

I do have a copy of National Geographic magazine with an articule on the Appalacian Trail so I will be there in spirit with you!

Well I bought a Hubba one man tent anew when I crawl inside it is like being in a casket(grin). It is the best tent around but wow is it close. Now a two man is called a Hubba Hubba. I kid you not. It weighs more so I can't use that. I can't tell you how much preparation goes in to buying supplies and trying to fit them all in my pack. Just when I think I am ready, I remember something important like a comb. One of my daughters is meeting with me for breakfast this morning so she can give me advice I am sure. Last night she said, "If there are men on the trail, don't make eye contact or say a word or they will think you like them!" Lol I do hope and pray for safety, but I can't let fear rule my life. I have a knife, mace and above all my faith. I leave Thursday night and come back Sunday night. Can't wait to tell you all about it!

n.mac
08-17-2011, 06:28 AM
There is a company called Terrafix (and others ) that make a handheld trail GPS with an emergency beacon. The idea is that if you get lost or need help you activate the beacon and help will be sent. I'm not sure what they cost but I know Bass pro shop and Gander mountain sell them. I believe you can also register with DNR or park rangers so that at least someone is aware of your plans.
Your daughters is right-avoid eye contact and don't smile(could be misconstruid as agressive like barring your fangs)with any rabid dogs
or stray men you encounter!
My wife smiled at me and I'm still following her around 16 yrs later.

lovedbyHim
08-17-2011, 03:13 PM
There is a company called Terrafix (and others ) that make a handheld trail GPS with an emergency beacon. The idea is that if you get lost or need help you activate the beacon and help will be sent. I'm not sure what they cost but I know Bass pro shop and Gander mountain sell them. I believe you can also register with DNR or park rangers so that at least someone is aware of your plans.
Your daughters is right-avoid eye contact and don't smile(could be misconstruid as agressive like barring your fangs)with any rabid dogs
or stray men you encounter!
My wife smiled at me and I'm still following her around 16 yrs later.

Love it! Got it! I will walnut through the mountains looking like a mean mountain woman. Should I carry my knife with the blade open? Lol. I gave my itinerary to a friend and the rangers know where I am. My Droid phone works in the mountains most of the time to text, if I run in to trouble.

Thank you for the advice. I promise to be as safe as I can and truly trust God will bless my socks off! I desperately need to get away from as the people who are demanding so much of me lately. I need to get some time to set my thoughts in order. This should really help. Thank for your advice again.

Nonna
08-17-2011, 05:04 PM
this line reminds me of crocodile dundee.
"that is not a knife"

you and bears.......

Lol where's the like button.....
Crocodile Dundee: that's not a knife, now this is a knife

lovedbyHim
08-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Lol where's the like button.....
Crocodile Dundee: that's not a knife, now this is a knife

I did get a good size one with a nonslip handle in case the raynauds acts up. Lol

lovedbyHim
08-18-2011, 02:56 AM
Hey Everyone, I will not be able to be on WHL until Monday. I need to conserve my battery in my Droid in case of an emergency in the woods. Have a great weekend.

Elo
08-18-2011, 05:24 AM
BYEEEE!!!!!
HAVE FUN!!!
Dont eat too many smores! :D

rob
08-18-2011, 08:01 AM
I've hiked most of the 281 miles of the trail in Maine. The trail's northern end is on the top of Mt. Katahdin, Maine's highest peak, which is just north of where I live. It's some rugged territory, and the most isolated part of the entire trail. My pack and gear weighed in at just about 40 pounds. That was twenty some years ago. The gear today is much lighter and more efficient.

My "bear repellant" was, and still is a S&W.357mag revolver. I also have one of those heavy duty pepper spray canisters that's made specifically for use on bears/predators. Maine has the largest population of black bears of all 50 states. However, the only problem I ever had wasn't with a bear, but with an angry moose in the parking area where you can access the trail in the central part of the state. Silly thing chased me around my truck for a good 20 minutes before it gave up and went away. Dad had the keys, and he was about a half mile behind me, so I had no way of getting in the truck till he showed up. Despite the fact that a pissed off moose can and will stomp the life out of you, it was a pretty funny situation.

Hiking was my love and major obsession for many years. Covered a lot of miles, saw some amazing sights, and had some great times.

Rob

rob
08-18-2011, 09:48 AM
When you reach the Northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail on the summit of Mount Katahdin,
and turn south to look back at where you came from, these are the views you are treated to.
It's like being on the roof of the world-

Click for Fullsize-

Click for Fullsize-

Bonita
08-18-2011, 10:33 AM
You are a very brave women lovedbyhim and i wish you luck i would be terrified to stay all by myself in the woods. Bonita

n.mac
08-18-2011, 07:33 PM
My son just returned from marine corp mountain survival training- 2 weeks in the california mountains.

Your trip sounds more grueling and challenging! Good luck!

lovedbyHim
08-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Well I'm back already. I did not do the AT trail this time. I did the Loyalsock trail in PA. I didn't want to mention that due to so many viewers on WHL that I don't know. Anyway, I camped and that went well, except for the big owl that swooped down by my tent after I laid down to sleep. I almost wet my pants, until I figured it out. The next day I hiked 6 miles and then noticed a tree I saw before. Somehow I got turned around when I stopped to filter water. I knew I would not reach my pickup destination if I kept going, so I walked back the 6 miles. This is what I learned, I can carry a full load and hike 12 miles in a day on steep rough terrain. This is hopeful! Thank you all for your words of encouragement. Rob I heard the AT in your state is rough and very wet. I got caught in a wicked thunderstorm today, but it was fine.

rob
08-19-2011, 06:15 PM
Well I'm back already. I did not do the AT trail this time. I did the Loyalsock trail in PA. I didn't want to mention that due to so many viewers on WHL that I don't know. Anyway, I camped and that went well, except for the big owl that swooped down by my tent after I laid down to sleep. I almost wet my pants, until I figured it out. The next day I hiked 6 miles and then noticed a tree I saw before. Somehow I got turned around when I stopped to filter water. I knew I would not reach my pickup destination if I kept going, so I walked back the 6 miles. This is what I learned, I can carry a full load and hike 12 miles in a day on steep rough terrain. This is hopeful! Thank you all for your words of encouragement. Rob I heard the AT in your state is rough and very wet. I got caught in a wicked thunderstorm today, but it was fine.

12 miles is a damn good distance. You went out and found what your strengths are as well as the areas you need to still work on. Going twelve miles on steep and rough terrain is as good as any of my friends or myself could have done even on a good day.

In all the land nav courses I ever taught, both in the service and as a civillian, I always stressed to people that if for whatever reason you are unsure about your bearings to the point where you think you will not reach your planned destination, that you should turn around and follow the bearing and visual landmarks you just saw that will take you back to where you started, and to your vehicle or ride, where you can plan again for another day.

My friends and I did many of these "test trips" to get the lay of the land, to break in or test new gear, and to just simply get back into the swing of hiking with gear after not having done it for a while.

You did it all right in my book, and it sounds like you had fun doing it.

Rob

Gizmo
08-19-2011, 06:59 PM
Awesome! I can't believe how far you have come in a month!

lovedbyHim
08-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Thanks so much Rob. I had no phone signal to be able to change plans and knew I had to keep heading back. What an amazing experience it was. I saw a porcupine climbing a tree. Anyway, I had to try and now I know I need a thicker sleeping pad and new boots (grin). I guess you know trails turn into mud slides when it rains hard. Lol

lovedbyHim
08-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Honestly, I had pain in my knee the day before and I just got good and mad and said, I'm doing it! I know that sounds foolish, but sometimes I get so darn fed up, surrendering to this disease. I took an ace bandage and lots of ibuprophin, just in case(grin).

Gizmo
08-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Honestly, I had pain in my knee the day before and I just got good and mad and said, I'm doing it! I know that sounds foolish, but sometimes I get so darn fed up, surrendering to this disease. I took an ace bandage and lots of ibuprophin, just in case(grin).

I really am so happy for you, but I kind of feel like a wimp, too. Like if I were to get mad enough, would I be able to walk off my pain and photosensitivity? In my head I am thinking "what's wrong with me that I can't go shopping without having to take a nap - lovedbyHim is sleeping out in the rain with the porcupines!" It's inspiring, but it makes me wonder how we find balance as lupies. When is it OK to get good and mad and say "I'm doing it" and when do we need to listen to our bodies and stay inside?

steve.b
08-19-2011, 09:31 PM
i am happy you did it.

did ther brain enjoy the peace and quiet.

lovedbyHim
08-19-2011, 10:17 PM
I really am so happy for you, but I kind of feel like a wimp, too. Like if I were to get mad enough, would I be able to walk off my pain and photosensitivity? In my head I am thinking "what's wrong with me that I can't go shopping without having to take a nap - lovedbyHim is sleeping out in the rain with the porcupines!" It's inspiring, but it makes me wonder how we find balance as lupies. When is it OK to get good and mad and say "I'm doing it" and when do we need to listen to our bodies and stay inside?

Honestly I'm still trying to figure this out too. You know it cools have gone the other way. I had the ace bandage and duct tape just in case I had to brace the knee. Lol. I can be pretty foolish at times when I get angry with the disease.

lovedbyHim
08-19-2011, 10:25 PM
i am happy you did it.

did ther brain enjoy the peace and quiet.

Yes my brain did enjoy the peace and quiet and I'm taking tomorrow to be by myself as well. I decided to make the whole would stop demanding my attention. I had some good chats with God, especially when the owl swooped down by my tent and it sounded like a man running toward it! Lol. For the record, I slept with my knife in my hand after that. I sang songs to God too, when I had to hike through tons of raspberry bushes and saw large piles of fresh bear poop! I figured it might not go well if I surprised the bear while it was feasting.

n.mac
08-20-2011, 08:20 AM
Congratulations!- Sounds like a successfull trip.

Although I can't help thinking about that poor owl. There he was out for a good nights hunt,minding his own business-just doing what owls do.
And out of nowhere he stumbles across you-Ms.Rambo complete with machete singing to the heavens!

Can you imagine the stories he is telling?

lovedbyHim
08-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Congratulations!- Sounds like a successfull trip.

Although I can't help thinking about that poor owl. There he was out for a good nights hunt,minding his own business-just doing what owls do.
And out of nowhere he stumbles across you-Ms.Rambo complete with machete singing to the heavens!

Can you imagine the stories he is telling?

Oh Niall you are a "hoot" lol!

Had two maps today and realized I have raspberry bush pickers I need to remove. I guess adrenaline really does dull pain. I knew I was getting snagged by the bushes but never felt the pain. The bear poop was a constant reminder to sing and move out of his garden fast.

Can't wait to go again. For the record, I sure feel pain today! Lol