PDA

View Full Version : Puffy, painful eyes and eyelids--Sjogren's?

sharpiessave
08-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Hi everybody.

I'm struggling with some pretty intense eye and eyelid swelling, which I've never had before. For about the last 24 hours my eyes have been really tender, and my eyelids, upper and lower, are swollen and discolored. It kind of feels like there's air trapped between my eye and eyelid, or like after your pupils are dilated. If I glance quickly from place to place, or roll my eyes at all it hurts.

I wear glasses, but not contacts. My eyes were just checked last month, a full work-up, and everything was fine. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with my Sjogren's diagnosis. At first I didn't think so, because this morning they felt extra moist, instead of dry like I'm used to. But tonight they're dry again, and more painful than this morning.

This is the first time I've had any eye symptoms, and I'm going to call my Rheumy in the morning, but I was hoping some of you might have experienced something similar.

Thanks guys,
Sharpie

magistramarla
08-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Sharpie,
There is something called blepharitis that can happen to anyone, but is really common with SJS. If you google it, there is lots of good info about it.
You definitely should talk to your rheumy or your ophthalmologist as soon as you can.
I've had those symptoms before I knew that I had SJS. I would go to school and teach with my eye feeling horrible.
Have you been prescribed Restasis yet? I haven't had any of those symptoms since I started using it. It's a bit pricey, but worth every penny!
Hugs,
Marla

sharpiessave
08-10-2011, 08:10 PM
YES!!

Marla, you were my target audience! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

magistramarla
08-10-2011, 08:18 PM
I live to serve!