PDA

View Full Version : hot water wars

ruziska
08-07-2011, 03:29 PM
We have the battle of hot water in our house. I like HOT showers. The kind that turns your skin red and steam pours out like a fog when you open the shower door. My joints, especially my neck must have very hot water. Hubby is lazy. He doesn't want to have to adjust the water when he takes a shower. He wants to turn on the hot water and not fiddle with it. I also do dishes by hand as I hate and got rid of our dishwasher. I was doing dishes today and complained to him for the umpteenth time that the water was barely warm enough to wash dishes. His response? "That's what soap is for". For dishes, maybe. My joints? I don't think so. So he did turn up the heat. He'll leave it up for a week or 2 to placate me then slowly turn it back down until I catch on again, get on his case again and the cycle goes on AGAIN. I love him dearly, but his fascination with turning down the hot water heater is out of control!

KCat
08-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Do you have an insulating cover for the water heater? I would guess so but maybe that would make him feel better about having the heater turned up. And reduce heat loss for you.

Another option - can you maybe get an inline heater for the kitchen? I know it doesn't solve the shower problem but it is a cheaper solution for the kitchen. Of course, for the kitchen, the cheapest solution is to make him do the dishes. But for the shower, maybe there's an inline heater for that. That way it only operates for your showers and not for the entire house. Worth checking into maybe?

Or move to Texas where 9 months out of the year the water coming out of the faucet is hot no matter which tap you choose. :P

n.mac
08-07-2011, 04:44 PM
From a purely practicle perspective your husband might be trying to save money,but from a safety perspective he may be concerned about placing extra pressure on an older hot water tank.Keep in mind that the hotter the water the higher the pressure,just like a kettle.
Most building codes require limiters on hot water for rental units to prevent scalding of little kids..etc.
The new on demand type h w heaters are very nice-you never run out of hot water and over time they pay for themselves through energy savings.

In the spirit of full disclosure I must admit I am like your husband-I can't stand hot water I find it physically painfull. My wife on the other hand loves extremely hot baths where she comes out looking like a lobster-the last time I tried to join her in a hot tub I became nausious within a few minutes-so much for romance!

ruziska
08-07-2011, 07:43 PM
It's a newer hot water heater. We own the house. It isn't about energy saving. Its about hubby being too lazy to adjust the water temp. He doesn't want to fiddle with it. He wants to turn on the water and be good to go. He also has a low tolerance for hot water. "That's what soap is for" may be a good excuse for cleaning dishes, but it doesn't cover soaking my achy joints. Especially in the winter, which in Montana will be here sooner than later. Hubby is just going to have to learn to mix hot and cold

magistramarla
08-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Rita,
I laughed at this post. We're living in military housing, and we have "his and hers" bathrooms. His has a walk-in shower stall; mine has a bathtub with a shower.
I don't like tub baths, so he just doesn't understand why I refuse to use his shower, since it would be so much safer for me than stepping in and out of that tub.
What he doesn't understand is that the force of the water in his shower is only a trickle compared to mine and it NEVER gets hot enough for me in there.
I would much rather risk stepping in and out of the tub for my nice, hot full stream of water.
You go, girl!
Hugs,
Marla

lovedbyHim
08-08-2011, 03:23 AM
Lol post a note on the gage. " You touch this...I break a your fingers! "

debbie-b
08-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Oh me too, I love hot showers, my back and neck thank me for it every morning.

Debbie

nicolehinkel
08-08-2011, 02:20 PM
I need the heat too. We have a hot tub outside which is great but when it's raining or extremely hot I can't go in it and when my hubby isn't home I won't go in it at night because there are a lot of woods behind us and though I am 35 I am afraid of the dark.

Elo
08-08-2011, 03:56 PM
TEEHEE. I just noticed you posted it in the New Members section.

Welcome Ruziska!!!
;)

I did laugh at your hot water wars as well..it's funny though, when i first read the title, I was imagining you throwing water balloons filled with hot water at the neighbors kids or something. This is a slightly more mature war, I must say :D

Tracyl50
08-08-2011, 04:39 PM
i love very hot showers also. even though i know its not really good for me.. tell him to leave it and turn up the cold water with it..:cute:

ruziska
08-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Did I post in the new member section? Oops if I did. Blame it on the brain fog and the hypothermia from cold showers! Yeah, that's it! The water isn't hot enough to warm up and wake up my brain! I'm gonna go with that pitiful excuse. It works for me!

KCat
08-09-2011, 09:04 AM
It's a newer hot water heater. We own the house. It isn't about energy saving. Its about hubby being too lazy to adjust the water temp. He doesn't want to fiddle with it. He wants to turn on the water and be good to go. He also has a low tolerance for hot water. "That's what soap is for" may be a good excuse for cleaning dishes, but it doesn't cover soaking my achy joints. Especially in the winter, which in Montana will be here sooner than later. Hubby is just going to have to learn to mix hot and cold

well, that's just silly then. If it's not about energy saving but about convenience then why turn it up then turn it back down? Criminy!