PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Study

ritzbit
08-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Have any of you ever had a sleep study? I have one on Monday. I have always had sleep related problems and my pulmonologist suggested I do a sleep study. Its coming up in 2 days. Not sure what to expect, other than being extremely uncomfortable from all the things Im going to be hooked up to. I just found out my pulmolonogist is only going to be here long enough to see my at my appointment later this month. She's moving to Vanderbilt in October. Me and my mom really liked her too =( She explained things from all aspects of my lupus much better to me, and more importantly my mom, than my rheumy.

magistramarla
08-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Hi Ritz,
I've never had one, but Jeff has for his snoring. He said that they glued little wires on him, hooked them up to machines, and then left him to sleep.
I would never be able to sleep in such a situation, but Jeff can fall asleep anywhere, anytime.
He was prescribed a CPAP machine. I consider that thing to be evil. It makes an awful racket, has lights on it that bother me, and tends to choke him in the middle of the night.
I was relieved when a part broke on it and he stopped using it.
He's trying to sleep on his side more now, so the snoring has decreased.

Good luck with your study. I'll be curious to hear what they tell you. I tend to wake up every 1.5 or 3 hours. I've read that the REM cycle is 90 minutes, so I'm thinking that is involved. Instead of going right back into a different stage of sleep, I seem to be waking up fully and can't get back to sleep for an hour or so. Several of us have complained about this same thing here on WHL. I would love to have a good explanation for it.
Hugs,
Marla

kim,l
08-08-2011, 07:30 PM
hi ritz i never have but my husband stephen did they just hook wires to your head and chest and monitor your sleep for the night they discovered he had sleep apnea and my daughter is having one in november she will be 16.

ritzbit
08-09-2011, 06:02 AM
I got like NO sleep last night. Shouldn't they make sleep studies, oh I dont know, easier to sleep through? I cant lay flat when I sleep so I had my bed up at an angle and when I was almost completely asleep I woke up to a nurse putting it down! So my mom said to leave it alone because they must have put it that way for a reason. So I couldnt sleep all night because my acid reflex was going crazy and I woke up at 3 and my mouth was completely dried out so I had to call someone to bring me something to drink then after all that fun they wake you up at 6 with little sleep and gunk all over your hair and body from the wires. I hope I never have to do that again. Oh and I woke up to a machine beeping at 6, I dont know if it was supposed to do that on its own or what but the people there arent allowed to tell you anything thats going on because you have to wait 2 weeks for the results. Stupid test.

Elo
08-09-2011, 06:34 AM
Aww...that doesn't sound like fun at all. I mean, really... if you can't sleep, then how is it a sleep study? Why not call it an uncomfortable person study? :(
Hopefully the results come back and tell you something that you didn't know or that's helpful. Bet you must be glad you're home now, hehe

ritzbit
08-09-2011, 11:18 AM
I had about a million errands to run today so Im going with little sleep after being up about 4 hours earlier than Im used to and everything I went to do was a waste of my time. I went to NKU to see disability services because I had an appointment today, there isn't much they can do but they are willing to help with absensces if I have them. I got my parking pass, and asked disability services how it works on campus once I have my handicap tag thing and she said I have to get it first and they do something special with my parking pass. So I take the paper my doctor gave me to the DMV, which was another big drive away, and they tell me that it doesnt have what they need on it. So we filled out a paper there and faxed it to my doctor and ALL she had to do was sign it. Soo I figure I'll wait a little while and while Im there I'll get my full license while Im there because I only have my intermediate. They said that there is some class I still need to take, and they wont give me my license until I do. Its a 4 hour class meant for new 16 year old drivers. I have been driving for 3 years AND if I were 18 going to take my driving test for the first time I wouldnt need that same class, so because I was 17 when I took my driving test I still need to take this class. So Im aggravated and go back to see about my handicap tag, might I add this is after going out and going to an atm also to get money because they dont take cards there, and still no faxed papers. I waited for a little over an hour and gave up. I wasted so much time, gas. and patience today on no sleep. Moral of the story, if you get no sleep at a sleep study and are already aggravated from that I would suggest avoiding doing anything that day if at all possible. Sorry for the rant.

Gizmo
08-09-2011, 03:30 PM
Ritz, are you sure you weren't on Candid Camera or the subject of some perverted psychological experiment? Jeeezz!

ritzbit
08-09-2011, 03:34 PM
I dont know if I can be 100% sure......lol

steve.b
08-09-2011, 08:12 PM
ouch....

( ( ( hugs ) ) )

ritzbit
09-06-2011, 02:29 PM
So I just went to the pulmonologist in the past week and she told me my sleep study looked normal which I wasnt entirely expecting. I didnt sleep how I normally would while I was there though. I got a 5 page letter just now as I always do from her that is greatly detailed. I wish my rheumy did things like that. I am going to greatly miss my pulmonologist when she leaves for TN in October. Anywho, in that letter it said she is supicious of mixed/overlap disease other than SLE. So what I've been thinking for almost a year is right; that my rheumy think I have MCTD but has never come out and said that she thought anything else was wrong. I am a big girl and I can handle knowing that. In fact I'd rather someone tell me that instead of acting like I dont need to know they think that might be the case. I told my mom that and she said why would you want to have more when I got excited the letter said that. I was like I dont WANT more but if I HAVE more I'd like them to actually tell me that.