PDA

View Full Version : Heat and Lupus?

mdawncooper
07-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Well here I am with another question. I have read several things about heat and lupus but I want to see how you all are reacting. Today I was feeling better from the new medicine as far as joint pain so we went ahead with our garage sale. At one point I was working on installing my Godson's carseat in my car and got pretty light headed. My mother mentioned that my face was beet red. I kind of laughed it off but in a few minutes I reaiized that my head was spinning. It was an overcast day but still hot. I went in to discover that my mother was definitely right. My face was blood red. I laid down for a few minutes to rest and then returned outside and drank some water. When I went back outside I began to itch terribly and a rash started to appear. I finally gave up and came inside. After about 30 to 45 minutes I stopped itching and the rash went away. I have never had trouble with the heat before. Is this part of the Lupus or is it because I seem to be in a flare right now. I am beginning to think my gassy stomach is part of the flare for sure. I think I am going to have a long list of things to discuss at my next doctor's appt.

Thanks ahead for the info you can give.

Melanie

gkf109
07-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Melanie you live in houston? because if you do I know it gets pretty hot there, I used to live in arizona, I lived there for 13 years but I had to move because of the heat, the same things that you posted started to happen to me so I had to move.

tgal
07-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Hi Melanie,

I can't deal with the heat or UV rays at all. I am in Houston and I basically have to stay inside all summer. If I go outside I have to wear a hat, long sleeves, suntan lotion and long pants. If I don't I will be deathly ill after a short time. I also have to dress like that when I go shopping because UV rays from florescent lighting does the same thing to me. The problem is that if I go outside like that I will be protected from the UV rays but not the heat itself and the heat makes me feel terrible and I will be in a major flare after.

Sooooo, as I said, I stay inside most of the summer

Tammy2011
07-30-2011, 06:00 PM
thats funny you posted this because today after work i felt like my legs were swollen they had a very bloated feeling and were sore so i just got up from a nap in the a/c and my legs are better i was thinking the same thing the heat was getting to me today for some reason

lovedbyHim
07-30-2011, 06:18 PM
thats funny you posted this because today after work i felt like my legs were swollen they had a very bloated feeling and were sore so i just got up from a nap in the a/c and my legs are better i was thinking the same thing the heat was getting to me today for some reason

The heat makes me very sick. I have however, noticed that when I needed an increase in my thyroid hormone my internal thermostat was much worse. Hoshimotos thyroiditis is common for people with lupus.

Elo
07-30-2011, 06:31 PM
so far, i've yet to see any skin involvement with the sun, but I know for sure that heat makes me sick. Even if i'm inside, if it's hot, i start to feel lightheaded, and my normal symptoms like chest pain, nausea, stomach aches, etc, all bump up and start to feel worse. Then because i can't function normally with my brain, it's harder to deal with... plus problems like joint pain and etc are sometimes worse then too. It could definitely be made worse by the fact that you're in a flare, but it's not exclusive to only being in flares, from what i can tell.
Good luck!

mdawncooper
07-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Yes I live near Houston on the coast. I guess my days in the heat are going to have to be limited. It is amazing how my body is changing but I guess as long as I understand then I know how to take care of myself. Thanks everyone!

Melanie