PDA

View Full Version : Burning in fingertip, what could be wrong?

FranzeeSmith
07-30-2011, 03:33 PM
I have this burning feeling in the fingertip of my right index finger
. At first it would happen a few times a day but now it happens like 15 min apart sometimes sooner. I tried running cool water, and even cold water over it but that doesn't help. I also notice that my hands go numb really easy. When I brush my teeth, grip my phone and grip stearing wheel my hand gets numb.
I dont have insurance so I can't go to the doctor everytime I have new symptoms. Oh and one more problem.I'm having is deep breathing. When I take a deep breath or yawn my chest hurts really bad in the middle of my chest and hurts my back. Someone please give me some feedback. Are these symptoms something serious or its just what comes with Lupus?

tgal
07-30-2011, 04:12 PM
I have this burning feeling in the fingertip of my right index finger
. At first it would happen a few times a day but now it happens like 15 min apart sometimes sooner. I tried running cool water, and even cold water over it but that doesn't help. I also notice that my hands go numb really easy. When I brush my teeth, grip my phone and grip stearing wheel my hand gets numb.
I dont have insurance so I can't go to the doctor everytime I have new symptoms. Oh and one more problem.I'm having is deep breathing. When I take a deep breath or yawn my chest hurts really bad in the middle of my chest and hurts my back. Someone please give me some feedback. Are these symptoms something serious or its just what comes with Lupus?

I understand having no insurance (I don't either ) but anytime you are dealing with a major organ; Lungs, Heart, kidneys or brain, you can't mess around with that. Trouble with breathing or chest pain needs to be seen by a doctor ASAP

sharpiessave
07-30-2011, 04:42 PM
Hi Fran, I'm Sharpie. I agree with tgal; if in doubt, check it out. Has anyone mentioned the idea of a medical journal to you yet? It's a really good idea to keep an ongoing list of the problems you're having, so that you can make those expensive doctor's appointments count for all they're worth. I tend to space out after an hour of waiting at the doctor's office, so the written list is vital to me. It assures I won't forget something, or skim over something that I think I might be wasting the doc's time with.

I've had symptoms like your deep breathing pains before. For me, it turned out to be pleurisy. I'm really glad I went to the doctor about it, because the stress of wondering what it was was almost as bad for me as the pain itself. Not once, since I starting feeling ill, have I regretted talking to my doctors about any of my symptoms, even the embarassing ones. (like this crazy rash under my breasts, which, it turns out, is lupus related too.)

I hope you can find out what's causing your pain, and be able to treat it. Also, here's me wishing you a belated welcome to WHL. =)

Sharpie

lovedbyHim
07-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Hi Fran I spent years off and on with chest pain leading in to my back. I made repeated ER visits and they could not find anything and said it was stress related, depression, etc. When I finally saw a rheumatologist, she said I had mild pericarditis. If there is no fluid built up around it, it can't be seen on an ultrasound. There are many reasons for pain in that area and lupus hits the vascular parts of the heart too. Tgal is right, it's nothing to mess around with. In time you will be better able to know when you can wait and when you can't. Sometimes I still error on the safe side. I'm sorry about the insurance issue. There are so many in your situation right now. It's just wrong. (((hugs)))

gkf109
07-30-2011, 05:05 PM
My hands get numb too, I also get the burning sensation in my fingers, no chest pain though, I have read that lupus can cause chest pain when you take a deep breath its called pleurisy, I think its caused by fluid build up around the lungs, but your doctor can tell you more.

Manderson
07-30-2011, 05:09 PM
I cannot speak to the chest pain, but my feet and most of my joints have that burning sensation.

steve.b
07-30-2011, 09:16 PM
i want to post about chest pain.

but first i agree you need to see a doctor.

i also have chest problems.
my rhuemy explained it to me.
we have fluid in our muscles, causing them to expand and get sore.
your lung muscles push your lungs backwards.
the lung pushes on your shoulder blade.
this makes deep breathing painful.
it also makes my right shoulder blade sore all of the time.

please see adoctor to make sure this is what is happenning.
it could be something else.
do not take risks with this.

rob
07-31-2011, 06:56 AM
Hello Fran,

As others have said, when it comes to chest pain/breathing issues, see a doctor/go to the ER-better safe than sorry. That being said, I get chest pain at times, sometimes associated with breathing, and in the past, it's been Pleurisy. Lately though, my pain comes from Costochondritis, which is an alarmingly painful, yet fairly benign condition caused by inflammation of the soft connective tissues of the ribcage. I use NSAIDs and a hot pack when it happens.

In regards to the burning in your finger, it sounds much like problems I have that are central nervous system related. Various types of neuropathy (nerve pain) are fairly common in people with SLE. I know you have no insurance, but you may want to consider getting a referral to a Neurologist to help you with this. If it is some type of neuropathy, there are some effective meds available that might help. I hope you get it all figured out.

Rob

FYI- And if your finger starts blowing blue, it means Orks are near...

FranzeeSmith
07-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Thank you all for the feed back. It was very helpful. I will be going to the doctor this week, I just have to find the strength. I woke up this morning and my whole body is stiff all over again. Anywho thank you all once again!