PDA

View Full Version : dragonflies

ruziska
07-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Finally got the chance to drive up to Fort Benton Lake Wildlife Refuge which is a few miles north of Great Falls. The dragonflies were out in force and it was amazing! Hundreds and hundreds of dragonflies, many of them flying right alongside the car for a couple miles. I absolutely love dragonflies! We've had a lot of rain this past spring so the mosquitoes are absolutely horrendous this year but it makes for a huge dragonfly population as well. It was a gorgeous evening and a great way to wind down the week, especially in light of the insanity that has been going on around here! I wanted to take pictures, but the dragonflies wouldn't hold still long enough so all I would have gotten is blurry spots. Ah well, I've got the memories! What was bizarre though was the clouds of bugs. For miles it looked like veils of smoke but was just millions of bugs. I've never seen anything like it and I'm glad I was in my vehicle and not walking through them.

lovedbyHim
07-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Finally got the chance to drive up to Fort Benton Lake Wildlife Refuge which is a few miles north of Great Falls. The dragonflies were out in force and it was amazing! Hundreds and hundreds of dragonflies, many of them flying right alongside the car for a couple miles. I absolutely love dragonflies! We've had a lot of rain this past spring so the mosquitoes are absolutely horrendous this year but it makes for a huge dragonfly population as well. It was a gorgeous evening and a great way to wind down the week, especially in light of the insanity that has been going on around here! I wanted to take pictures, but the dragonflies wouldn't hold still long enough so all I would have gotten is blurry spots. Ah well, I've got the memories! What was bizarre though was the clouds of bugs. For miles it looked like veils of smoke but was just millions of bugs. I've never seen anything like it and I'm glad I was in my vehicle and not walking through them.

Nothing finer than nature! So glad you noticed the beauty of it.

rob
07-29-2011, 08:45 AM
We've got some dragonflies here that are so big they should have an FAA Tail Number. They are very cool to watch. Amazing miniature flying machines they are.

lovedbyHim
07-29-2011, 09:49 AM
We've got some dragonflies here that are so big they should have an FAA Tail Number. They are very cool to watch. Amazing miniature flying machines they are.

Perhaps those are the UFO's we hear about Rob?