PDA

View Full Version : Mental evaulation?

gkf109
07-28-2011, 03:16 PM
I applied for disability a couple of months ago, the sent me a form to list all my symptoms, now they are sending me to one of there docs for a mental evaluation, not really sure why!

tgal
07-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Good Evening,

It is called a neurophysch exam. It looks at much more then your mental state although it looks at that as well. I have had two of them, one requested by my doctor checking for CNS issues and a shorter one requested by SS. The neuropsych checks your memory, fine motor skills, depression, mathematical thought process and a ton of other things. My first one took a little over 6 hours and my second one took a little over 2. It is common practice to do this.

Hope that information helps!

gkf109
07-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Ok thank you, They really don't explain any thing,they just tell you where and when to go. -Gary

tgal
07-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Ok thank you, They really don't explain any thing,they just tell you where and when to go. -Gary

I know, Gary! When they told me I had to go have it I was really upset. I thought they were trying to find out if I was faking it! I left the doctors office and cried so har. LOL Thankfully I had a friend that is a nurse and she explained it to me and then I went online to learn about it. Only then did I see that this was about my health, mentally and physically, not just to find out if I was a nutcase LOl

One word of advice. Be well rested. I was sick by the time the 6 hour one was over.

gkf109
07-28-2011, 04:50 PM
On the symptoms form I wrote that I get "the fog", I thought that was why, Its funny, as I sit here 3 days into a flair, and my friend the rash is back, I wish I was faking it!!

rob
07-28-2011, 05:16 PM
I had the same evaluation when I applied for disability. They ask you things like what month is it, what's the President's name, and they do a few simple memory exercises. My eval took maybe 90 minutes tops. The lady I saw was really nice.

As long as you don't start barking like a dog or tell them your favorite book is Mein Kampf or something like that, you'll do fine.

Rob

gkf109
07-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Rob LOL!! Thanks for the laugh

tgal
07-28-2011, 05:42 PM
I had the same evaluation when I applied for disability. They ask you things like what month is it, what's the President's name, and they do a few simple memory exercises. My eval took maybe 90 minutes tops. The lady I saw was really nice.

As long as you don't start barking like a dog or tell them your favorite book is Mein Kampf or something like that, you'll do fine.

Rob

That was all yours was? Mine was longer but I guess I was crazier!

gkf109
07-28-2011, 05:43 PM
My wife says I'll be there for a couple of days!!

rob
07-28-2011, 05:58 PM
That was all yours was? Mine was longer but I guess I was crazier!

Yeah, I was surprised to read that yours took so long.

BonusMom
07-28-2011, 06:43 PM
I don't even know who the Chow Mein person is that you're referring to......

I have such horrible brain fog, even if I'm not in a flare, that I wonder if I could pass a neuropsych exam. I'm going to google it and see if I can find some sample tests......

Thanks for the great background info.

tgal
07-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Actually it is not pass/fail. It is ok to be foggy. That is actually what they want to see. I cried during mine because it was the first time I had to really see how bady brain worked now. Don't stress over it. It isn't really hard it is just so they can see what issues you are having with your brain

rob
07-29-2011, 06:34 AM
Actually it is not pass/fail. It is ok to be foggy. That is actually what they want to see. I cried during mine because it was the first time I had to really see how bady brain worked now. Don't stress over it. It isn't really hard it is just so they can see what issues you are having with your brain

Yes, exactly, it's not a pass/fail.

I was foggy as heck when I had mine too, since I was still at a point where I had taken no meds to control Lupus long enough to help. I got pretty frustrated, and the lady was just as nice as could be about this. She had a good idea from my education and career info I had filled out earlier as to how I should be performing on the simple cognitive and short term memory stuff. I performed far below where I should have been.

It's definitely an evaluation, rather than a pass/fail affair. Nothing to get worried about.

Rob

rob
07-29-2011, 09:27 AM
I don't even know who the Chow Mein person is that you're referring to......

I have such horrible brain fog, even if I'm not in a flare, that I wonder if I could pass a neuropsych exam. I'm going to google it and see if I can find some sample tests......

Thanks for the great background info.

A good friend of mine back in AZ, who has an even more twisted sense of humor than I do, suggested that when I go in for my psych evaluation, that I should wear a scroungy old torn up Johnny Rotten or Sid Vicious Tee-Shirt, start barking like a dog, and carry with me a copy of the book Mein Kampf. The title of the book translated from German means "My Struggle", which is nothing but hundreds of pages of insane rantings written by none other than Adolf Hitler.

Since I'm not into punk rock, and I'm not a dog or a Nazi, I declined his "helpful" suggestions. If memory serves, my friend stole some of the line from the late great comedian George Carlin, who had a really funny routine about how to ace a job interview. Two of his "suggestions" for a successful job interview were to write your resume and fill out the job application in scribbled purple crayon, and to carry into the interview, a copy of Mein Kampf. Funny stuff.

Rob

gkf109
07-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Rob seen my doc today and told him I was going for mental evaulation, than I told him what you said, he started to laugh than he looked at me very seriously and said... Dont do that!!

rob
07-29-2011, 05:54 PM
Rob seen my doc today and told him I was going for mental evaulation, than I told him what you said, he started to laugh than he looked at me very seriously and said... Dont do that!!

OH! That's good stuff. Thanks for returning the laugh!

gkf109
08-05-2011, 04:09 AM
Well today is the big day, 10am this morning.