PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito bites...

Leksie
07-28-2011, 12:26 AM
Just a question? Has anyone noticed a flare coming on after bug bites? I was blissfully unaware that I was being eaten alive by mosquitos a week ago I mean like more than 30 bites on arms legs and back and was just wondering if anyone has had a Lupus reaction to something like this.

Nonna
07-28-2011, 12:39 AM
I'm allergic to Mosquitos, I always have a bad reaction. I swell up like a balloon. Thank the Lord for antihistamines. As to the reaction being an effect of Lupus? My illogical logic says only if it's my body producing the histamines. Anyone know that answer. Brain fog or the middle of the night has got my brain.

I'll think on that some more and come back later. Hugs

steve.b
07-28-2011, 01:03 AM
mosquitos do not bother me much......
but ant bites are much worse now than they used t be.
i get swollen bite marks now, and they take about 1 week to go away.

lovedbyHim
07-28-2011, 03:02 AM
About 10 years ago I started having bad reactions to the site of the bite. Once I had 3 bites on my leg and the whole thing swelled. My doc couldn't believe it. Gosh I could only imagine what would happen if I had as many as you. I take an antihistimine, steroidal cream and antibiotic cream when I get them now and it settles down. Bless you. You must be jumping out of your skin itching.

debbie-b
07-28-2011, 04:16 AM
When I get bitten ( I am the only one that gets bitten), the bites get huge, they itch like made and then get infected.
I do feel miserable when I get them, but I don't know, if it is because of the Lupus.
This year, I have not been outside, after sunset, because last year I was bitten up by those buggers so bad, I was miserable for weeks. During the day I don't go outside because of the sun, at night because of the mosquitos. WHAT A LIFE.

Debbie

lizbond36
07-28-2011, 05:53 AM
I notice that too, I had many bites on my legs and they took forever to go away. But the flairs I don't know, I don't know what normal feels like.
Hugs
Liz

KCat
07-28-2011, 04:16 PM
I would think that anything that stimulates the immune system has the potential to trigger flare or flare-ish symptoms. If you have any kind of allergy to bug bites, this could easily stimulate an immune responses. Especially that many bites. And of course, a histamine response by itself is an immune response as it is so you don't need an allergy to react to mosquitoes. Nasty little monsters.

When I was a kid I always had a big response to mosquito bites. Big welts. Still do sometimes. Got a spider bite a couple of weeks ago that left a hard knot on my leg for days. Just me? or me plus autoimmune disease? Dunno.

It is entirely true, by the way, that scratching makes it worse. Histamines are released by cells that are triggered both chemically and mechanically. The latter meaning that physical pressure or other irritation (scratching, rubbing, heat) can release more histamines. DON'T SCRATCH. ;) I say this knowing full well that I am guilty of scratching madly when I get bitten. I can get hives just from scratching an itch without a bite. Drives me batty.

Leksie
07-31-2011, 07:18 PM
I almost forgot how good if feels to have other people know exactly what your talking about! I missed you guys.

magistramarla
07-31-2011, 08:25 PM
Hi Leksie,
I agree with what people have said here. My bite problem when I was growing up was with cattle fleas. We lived next to a pasture where the neighbor kept his cows. They had lots of hard little black fleas, and those things LOVED to bite me every time I played in the yard. I reacted terribly to them.
Any kind of insect bite still gets really bad on me. I guess it does make sense that our sensitive immune systems would over-react.
I hope that you are doing well by now - keep us informed about your little one.
Hugs,
Marla

ritzbit
08-01-2011, 08:14 AM
I don't know about how my body reacts to bug bites but I get eaten alive everytime I go outside. Im covered in scars all over my tighs, feet, and arms from past bug bites that I itched to death. They drive me crazy. Now I have to pay with brown and white spots all over me for the rest of my life.