PDA

View Full Version : Need to Whine

mdawncooper
07-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Well the test results didn't come back today and I honestly feel like I have the flu without the fever. On top of that I started having horrible intestinal cramping again so I have just had it today. I have a wonderful family who understands but I am frustrated that I feel this way. I knew to expect days like this since my diagnosis but when I lay around it makes me feel lazy. Anybody have any suggestions on how to help the intestinal cramping until I hear from the doctor? (My GP put me on fiber but who knows if its helping.)

Thanks for letting me whine and vent. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Melanie

tgal
07-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Whine away! That is what we are here for. I know the feeling that you are talking about. The fatigue is one of the hardest parts to deal with because there is no outward side of what is wrong. People thing fatigue is tired and it isn't. Someone, Rob I believe, describes it as feeling like you have a lead blanket over you. That is as close as I have seen to a good description of what the fatigue feels like. "Flu without fever" does it justice as well. The first thing that you need to remember is that you are not lazy. You are ill. Those are two very different things. Lazy is a choice and I know you are not making the choice to feel this way.

As for the cramping I would suggest talking to the doctor about this. I lived for years with what I called "stomach issues". If I ate something I would be in the restroom within 10 minutes due to cramping and diarrhea. For years I couldn't eat in the car because there was no restroom around. Horrible cramps. I had this long before I was diagnosed and, even after I began seeing doctors they all said "that isn't normal" but no one did anything about it. Finally when I went to my current doctor (the one that diagnosed me) he gave me meds on my first visit to him. He explained that Irritable Bowel Syndrome and other intestinal disorders are very common in people with Lupus. The medicines worked. My stomach became much more normal for awhile. I still have to go on the medicines off and on but thankfully it is not like it used to be. I don't know if that is what is happening with you but you might want to look into it.

I hope that you get to feeling better soon. Please never feel bad about coming in here to vent. That is why we are here and one day you will be the one listening to others and having just the words that they need to hear

sharpiessave
07-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Hey Melanie,

This is one of the most difficult issues to write about delicately, but I'll try to be a lady about it. =) My little sis has Crohn's, so we're well-versed and comfortable talking about it, but the internet demands some kind of decorum, you know?

My first two months on Plaquenil were a trial. I now know exactly how many tiles are on my bathroom wall. (76)

Anyway, this sounds ridiculously simple, and I thought it was something everybody did, but I gave this advise to my sis, and the other day she told me she didn't know how she'd made it this long without doing it. I rock. I mean literally; I rock back and forth. (I rock figuratively too; I'm super-cool.) Maybe it has something to do with the motion, or maybe it's just that I'm concentrating on the rocking instead of the cramps, but it's helped me a lot. So you could try giving that a shot. If nothing else, it might give you a little giggle in the midst of the pain: the things we'll try, right?

I hope the fiber works out for you. It's helped me a lot too. I didn't realize how much until I ran out for a few days. Man, what a difference.

giggle
07-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Rocking back and forth? I've found that helps as well, not sure why. If I get too cold I get terrible stomach cramps. You do rock sharpie ^_^

I wish I could have my stomach issues looked into... my test results for gluten intolerance came back normal i think, well at least my GP said nothing about it.

mdawncooper
07-28-2011, 05:50 AM
Well here is to a day of "rocking" of needs be. I'm willing to try anything. I'll also be watching to see if we are going to have a tropical storm tomorrow. That will help keep me mind off of pain. LOL

tgal
07-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Well here is to a day of "rocking" of needs be. I'm willing to try anything. I'll also be watching to see if we are going to have a tropical storm tomorrow. That will help keep me mind off of pain. LOL

OMG I was about to tell you that those of us in the Houston area are actually wanting Don to come our way then I look and see that you are here too! Never thought I would be wanting a tropical storm/hurricane but we need rain so badly that I will take it however it comes. No, I don't want high winds but but I am really have my fingers crossed for the rain.

Come on Don!

Elo
07-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Hey! No apologizing for whining - it's not allowed (; that's what we're here for.
I also rock - in fact, I end up jiggling my legs if I can't rock. The one thing that seems to help me is taking a warm/hot bath. I don't know what it is - if it's the heat, or the water, but for some reason the second I sink in and the water surrounds my stomach, it helps, just a bit. Sometimes a lot. One of my first symptoms I started having when I got sick was horrible abdominal pain. Sometimes cramping, sometimes like a stabbing/shooting pain, so I spent a LOT of time in the bath with a book. Using a warm washcloth either on your back or on your stomach (or both) also helps to calm me down.
Sometimes when they're really bad, and i'm waiting for the tub to fill, I would end up pacing back and forth, and sometimes sinking to my knees (kind of like a frog or sitting fetal position). The pacing did sometimes help umm, things go faster. But my main problem was making sure that I stayed calm - so peppermint tea, maybe a lavender scented oil, something easy and comfort foody to eat, like oatmeal... All that helps me get through the pain, whether it helps me mentally or physically.

Anyways - hope that helps. If you do decide to hole up in the tub - make sure to bring a book - it really helps to get your mind off of things.
Hope you start to feeling better soon (:

mdawncooper
07-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Yep, I am right on the coast and really hoping for rain although I have a garage sale planned for tomorrow and Saturday. I have paced myself all week so I can get this accomplished but won't be sad if it gets rained out.

I got the bloodtests back and they showed to be normal but my doctor called out a pack of Medrol so I will start it tomorrow. I have no idea what to expect from this drug. She also recommended backing down to 1 Plaquenil a day to see if it will help with the cramping. My GP sent a referral to a Gastro Dr. but I am not sure I want to pursue that yet. Tell me what you guys think about that.

Melanie

tgal
07-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Yep, I am right on the coast and really hoping for rain although I have a garage sale planned for tomorrow and Saturday. I have paced myself all week so I can get this accomplished but won't be sad if it gets rained out.

I got the bloodtests back and they showed to be normal but my doctor called out a pack of Medrol so I will start it tomorrow. I have no idea what to expect from this drug. She also recommended backing down to 1 Plaquenil a day to see if it will help with the cramping. My GP sent a referral to a Gastro Dr. but I am not sure I want to pursue that yet. Tell me what you guys think about that.

Melanie

Yeah we are hoping for some rain too! First time I have ever rooted for a storm to hit!

Medrol packs are great. They are a 5 day (usually) of steroids. Usually 4 or 5 mg tabs taken 5 the first day, 4 the 2nd and so on. The first time I took them I had never taken steroids before and by the end of the first day or start of the 2nd I felt so good I a bouquet of balloons to my GP! LOL (True story). It was the first time that I had been able to breathe in as long as I could remember. It cut back on so many of my symptoms that I actually felt like me for a couple of days. It was actually my response to the steroids that led to me referral to the rhuemy (my blood work came in a few days later). Short term steroids are OK. What you hope to not have happen is to have to take high doses for a long time. As wonderful as they were that first time is as much as I hate them now but that is a story for another time.

Did the cramps start after the plaquenil? If so he may be right. You may want to go with his suggestion to see if it helps. Let us know!