PDA

View Full Version : Pricking sensation and blotchy red rash on palms

Hquest
07-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Hi,
My daughter has recently developed a blotchy red rash on her palms and is complaining of painful pricking sensations along with it, does anyone know if this could be lupus related? If you experience this, what helps?
I have tried massaging them but it doesn't seem to be helping. She's been particularly bad today with a dry cough and fatigue, so it could just be the outworkings of it all.
Thanks!
Joy

tgal
07-27-2011, 04:19 PM
There are so many different rashes that Lupus can bring on it is hard to say if it is or isn't. I would suggest going to the doctor to see if it needs some kind of special ointment. I personally get about 4 or 5 different rashes but I have Discoid Lupus as well as SLE. I get one that has a prickly feeling but there is no way to know if it is the same one as you daughter has. No need to have her suffer if there is a medicine the doctor can give her.

I am so sorry she is having to go through this!

Hquest
07-28-2011, 02:33 AM
Hi tgal,

Thanks for your response. I'm still waiting for the rheumatology nurse to call me back. The doctors are relunctant to give steroid based creams for the rashes.
It's awful to see her so unwell at times... the medication she's on (plaquenil) is taking its time to work... she's only been on it for 2 weeks.

lovedbyHim
07-28-2011, 03:07 AM
Maybe the docs would let you try over the counter hydrocortizone cream. Poor kid. I hope you get this worked out soon. It's hard to see our kids suffer.

tgal
07-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Hi tgal,

Thanks for your response. I'm still waiting for the rheumatology nurse to call me back. The doctors are relunctant to give steroid based creams for the rashes.
It's awful to see her so unwell at times... the medication she's on (plaquenil) is taking its time to work... she's only been on it for 2 weeks.

Oh I hate to be the one to tell you this but the plaquenil takes 3-5 months to work. It is so frustrating when you start taking it because you don't see it doing anything but one day, a few months from now, you and she will stop and realize that it has been awhile since there was a rash! Plaquenil is slow working but it is very good at helping keep the rashes, as well as other symptoms, at bay.

I can understand the doctors not wanting to give steroids and I hope they are able to find something else that works for her. I am one of those people on high doses of steroids and I wouldn't wish that on anyone, especially children whose body is still growing and changing. Have you tried having her soak her hands in an oatmeal bath? That is not very scientific but I used to use oatmeal or epsome salt when my body is going crazy.

Please let us know if you find something that works

Hquest
07-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Loved and tgal,

Thanks!

Yes, we've been prepared for a bit of a wait before we see the results with her taking Plaquenil! It's encouraging to know it really helps in the end, though!
I was up late last night researching this pricking sensation and it seems it CAN happen in many diseases, inc. Lupus. It's called 'parasthesia'. Someone else, on one post I came across mentioned oatmeal for soothing purposes with lupus rashes. I'm certainly going to keep it in mind for the future. I'm sorry you're having to take such a high dose of steroids right now- especially with the side-effects!

Loved, it's lovely to see your smiling face on here! I tried Hc45 cream tonight before my daughter went to bed and it seemed to have helped.

Joy

lovedbyHim
07-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Loved and tgal,

Thanks!

Yes, we've been prepared for a bit of a wait before we see the results with her taking Plaquenil! It's encouraging to know it really helps in the end, though!
I was up late last night researching this pricking sensation and it seems it CAN happen in many diseases, inc. Lupus. It's called 'parasthesia'. Someone else, on one post I came across mentioned oatmeal for soothing purposes with lupus rashes. I'm certainly going to keep it in mind for the future. I'm sorry you're having to take such a high dose of steroids right now- especially with the side-effects!

Loved, it's lovely to see your smiling face on here! I tried Hc45 cream tonight before my daughter went to bed and it seemed to have helped.

Joy

Oh I'm so glad. Gosh my kids were always getting bites that would get so inflamed and my doc told me Benadryl and over the counter hydrocortizone. Quiet those kids right down lol. Now don't tell anyone I told you this little recipe. Always consult your doctor because I am a hillbilly who doctored 4 kids as we were broke most of the time (grin). I kid you not. I baked our own bread, made our own pizza and crackers, grew our food and canned and froze everything. I breast fed them all and used cloth diapers. We didn't see a Mc Donalds for years. I haven't been right since! Everytime I buy a French fry or pizza, I have a wave of guilt come over me.

So glad your daughter is feeling better dear.

Manderson
07-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Oh I'm so glad. Gosh my kids were always getting bites that would get so inflamed and my doc told me Benadryl and over the counter hydrocortizone. Quiet those kids right down lol. Now don't tell anyone I told you this little recipe. Always consult your doctor because I am a hillbilly who doctored 4 kids as we were broke most of the time (grin). I kid you not. I baked our own bread, made our own pizza and crackers, grew our food and canned and froze everything. I breast fed them all and used cloth diapers. We didn't see a Mc Donalds for years. I haven't been right since! Everytime I buy a French fry or pizza, I have a wave of guilt come over me.

So glad your daughter is feeling better dear.

You're cracking me up!

lovedbyHim
07-29-2011, 05:16 AM
You're cracking me up!

You think I'm joking! My mother-in-law used to ask me when I was going to wean my babies off of nursing and i used to say, "Why? They can come home for recess." Her jaw would drop and i would being laughing so hard inside myself.

Hquest
07-29-2011, 06:48 AM
I have this funny mental image of it! Great!

:D

tgal
07-29-2011, 06:49 AM
You think I'm joking! My mother-in-law used to ask me when I was going to wean my babies off of nursing and i used to say, "Why? They can come home for recess." Her jaw would drop and i would being laughing so hard inside myself.

LOL My sister in law breastfed my youngest niece until she was 6. I have to admit that it was a tad bit uncomfortable for me (not judging just being honest) the night we were all out eating. She was sitting across the table from me, finished her dinner, got up and walked over to her mother and put her arms in the air and started yelling (yes, YELLIN)
CHI CHI- CHI CHI!! LOL The whole restaurant turned to look and if I could have crawled under the table I would have! To be honest though, I was 19 or so and almost everything made me want to crawl under the table!

Hquest
07-29-2011, 07:20 AM
Hilarious!

lovedbyHim
07-29-2011, 08:02 AM
LOL My sister in law breastfed my youngest niece until she was 6. I have to admit that it was a tad bit uncomfortable for me (not judging just being honest) the night we were all out eating. She was sitting across the table from me, finished her dinner, got up and walked over to her mother and put her arms in the air and started yelling (yes, YELLIN)
CHI CHI- CHI CHI!! LOL The whole restaurant turned to look and if I could have crawled under the table I would have! To be honest though, I was 19 or so and almost everything made me want to crawl under the table!

LOL Dear God! I stopped at 2yrs. They stopped at two years. They were too busy for. NINNY.....NINNY...LOL

tgal
07-29-2011, 08:56 AM
LOL Dear God! I stopped at 2yrs. They stopped at two years. They were too busy for. NINNY.....NINNY...LOL

What I failed to add was...she GOT the "chi chi" right there at the table! Now I breastfed my daughter and when they are small it can be done very inconspicuously. When the child is 6... not so much LOL

lovedbyHim
07-29-2011, 09:48 AM
What I failed to add was...she GOT the "chi chi" right there at the table! Now I breastfed my daughter and when they are small it can be done very inconspicuously. When the child is 6... not so much LOL

NO WAY! That is hilariuos! I can see it now, "Hey mom thanks that was great ! Just what I needed!"

Mine used to yell," NINNY! " and be pulling my blouse up in the grocery store. Do you think people suspected what that was about? Hmmmm???

Linda From Australia
07-29-2011, 10:18 AM
OK people, this is getting really confusing for me. The title of this thread is called: "Pricking sensation and blotchy red rash on palms" yet Chi Chi and Ninny are being discussed .... how on earth did this thread change subject? Or is your reasoning justified that it is loosly related because you may be suffering from some form of itchy palm syndrome as well?

OH I GET IT ... slow thinker here .... I remember being told when I was a kid that the first sign of madness was an itchy palm, so I would infer than you have succumbed to the itchy palm syndrome, hence the change in the thread subject.

tgal
07-29-2011, 11:41 AM
OK people, this is getting really confusing for me. The title of this thread is called: "Pricking sensation and blotchy red rash on palms" yet Chi Chi and Ninny are being discussed .... how on earth did this thread change subject? Or is your reasoning justified that it is loosly related because you may be suffering from some form of itchy palm syndrome as well?

OH I GET IT ... slow thinker here .... I remember being told when I was a kid that the first sign of madness was an itchy palm, so I would infer than you have succumbed to the itchy palm syndrome, hence the change in the thread subject.

Don't ask me! Tammy started talking about breastfeeding and I just followed along LOL I think we hijacked this thread and I am really sorry about that but I have one more thing to say and then I will shut up.

Tammy, as to your question "Did the people know". OF COURSE THEY DID! She picked her up, laid her across her lap then lifted her shirt! The difference is that you can be discreet with a baby or 2 year old but you CAN'T be discreet with a 6 year old across your lap

LOL.. ok, back to the original topic of itchy hands

lovedbyHim
07-29-2011, 01:12 PM
Don't ask me! Tammy started talking about breastfeeding and I just followed along LOL I think we hijacked this thread and I am really sorry about that but I have one more thing to say and then I will shut up.

Tammy, as to your question "Did the people know". OF COURSE THEY DID! She picked her up, laid her across her lap then lifted her shirt! The difference is that you can be discreet with a baby or 2 year old but you CAN'T be discreet with a 6 year old across your lap

LOL.. ok, back to the original topic of itchy hands

I think it went from using over the counter stuff to treat my kids rashes/bites because I was poor and then all the ways I saved money such as, breast feeding. See Linda it all ties together. LOL At least in my world. ADD you know.