PDA

View Full Version : Concerned :-(

Thunda
07-24-2011, 06:04 PM
Greetings my fellow Lupus survivors

I am scared. I've read posts and realize just about everyone has had some type of brain fog.

I'm fearful that I'm beginning to have some brain issues. I am not grasping things as fast as I normally would. It is taking me longer to process things, I'm forgetting things and I'm not remembering things either. I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid or if my concerns are valid.

Can anyone provide me with some type of insight, words of encouragement or just anything right now would probably make me feel a little at ease.

Thanks in advance

n.mac
07-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Hi-
I was going through this same issue just a few days ago. I was reading posts and seeing similarities in my self.I answered someone post and in return got some good info.
I wasn't sure if I was developing a brain fog/suffering med side effects/or just getting old.
If in doubt check with your doctor-I did and was told that not all people with lupus develope brain fog and nothing in my history ,testing or present condition suggested I would have problems in this area.
And as my wife pointed out sometimes its not the illness sometimes its just my personality!

rob
07-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Greetings my fellow Lupus survivors

I am scared. I've read posts and realize just about everyone has had some type of brain fog.

I'm fearful that I'm beginning to have some brain issues. I am not grasping things as fast as I normally would. It is taking me longer to process things, I'm forgetting things and I'm not remembering things either. I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid or if my concerns are valid.

Can anyone provide me with some type of insight, words of encouragement or just anything right now would probably make me feel a little at ease.

Thanks in advance

Hi Thunda,

This is something that is a constant source of grief, concern, and frustration for many of us. I don't know the origin or cause of the problem you are having, but if a person has SLE, brainfog is a very real possibility. As you have seen, there are many threads here on the subject-it's not a rare thing. For me, cognitive dysfunction has had a significant impact on my life. I've had to improvise, and learn to roll with it the best I can. I try to do practical things that help my memory. I have post-it notes all over, and I've made new routines that are easier to remember and do. And I joke about it when I can. I joke about it to put the people around me at ease, and to keep myself from becoming too frustrated, and too angry over it. Laughter still works despite the fog.

The good thing, is that many people with SLE, myself included, find that the brainfog lifts to a certain extent after a flare subsides. When I'm out of a flare, I do get back some of what I lose while in one. I've never regained all that's been lost, but on flare free days, much of it does come back.

It's a terribly hard pill to swallow, dealing with brainfog. But a person can go on despite it.

Rob

lovedbyHim
07-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Hi Thunda,

This is something that is a constant source of grief, concern, and frustration for us. As you have seen, there are many threads here on the subject-it's not a rare thing. For me, cognitive dysfunction has had a significant impact on my life. I've had to improvise, and learn to roll with it the best I can. I try to do practical things that help my memory. I have post-it notes all over, and I've made new routines that are easier to remember and do. And I joke about it when I can. I joke about it to put the people around me at ease, and to keep myself from becoming too frustrated, and too angry over it. Laughter still works despite the fog.

The good thing, is that many people with SLE, myself included, find that the brainfog lifts to a certain extent after a flare subsides. When I'm out of a flare, I do get back some of what I lose while in one. I've never regained all that's been lost, but on flare free days, much of it does come back.

It's a terribly hard pill to swallow, dealing with brainfog. But you can go on despite it.

Rob

Hi Thunda, Rob has said pretty much what I would say. I still am able to work but I have an understanding supervisor and my clients just think I'm silly. I have driven 10 miles in the wrong direction to see a client. My clients sometimes remind me when to turn. My organizer reminds me and my Droid phone, but I have to remember to put it in them in the first place. My fog seems to have lifted today and I am feeling a bit hopeful. I do try to laugh at myself when others laugh and I tell my boyfriend he's the other half of my brain. He reminds me of things. I always try to remember that famous people like Edison had learning disabilities and he learned to fake it. Hang on there and stress makes it worse so try not to let it scare the crap out of you (hug).

ruziska
07-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Refer to my thread on brain fog understanding. Many of our wonderful members shared some amazing insights on how to deal with it. Great tips and links.