PDA

View Full Version : Norway

ritzbit
07-22-2011, 12:49 PM
I can't believe all Im hearing that happened there today. Bombing and shooting at a youth camp. 9 confirmed deaths at the camp and 7 dead from the bombing. Im sick of hearing of such terrible things =(

n.mac
07-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Your right there is much bad going on in the world today-but this seems especially senseless-I've been watching the news reports and they don't seem to know who/or why.
My son is a u.s marine and the news can get quite overwelhming at times.

rob
07-22-2011, 03:47 PM
I've been following this for most of the day. Witnesses and credible claims of responsibility leave no doubt that this is the work of an Islamic Terrorist group that is an offshoot of Al Qaeda. This makes me think of an ancestor of mine. A young man who I only know from pictures, letters home, and from his parents, who were my Great Aunt and Uncle. The young man was a navigator in the Royal Canadian Air Force during WWII. His plane was shot down over the North Sea off the coast of Norway by a fighter plane of Hitler's Luftwaffe. He, and the other two men on his aircraft were killed. They are buried in a cemetery honoring foreign veterans of WWII in Oslo, Norway. They died fighting the evil that was the nazi regime.

It's sad to see the same sort of hatred and oppression being visited upon the people of Norway, and the world, once again.

n.mac
07-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Your right about the bombing I'm just not clear on the camp shooting-is it related?

rob
07-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Your right about the bombing I'm just not clear on the camp shooting-is it related?

From what I know of the situation, yes, the camp shooting is definitely related, and the island where the camp is located was not just a random target.

Elo
07-22-2011, 07:20 PM
I know, it really is horrible... so hard to digest, too.

They named the suspects but said they were cautioning AGAINST thinking that it was actually external extremists, like Al Queda, and that it was actually internal extremists who caused everything.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43857267/ns/world_news-europe/

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/07/22/501364/main20082028.shtml?tag=re1.channel

" A home-grown terrorist set off an explosion that ripped open buildings in the heart of Norway's government Friday,"

police official said the 32-year-old ethnic Norwegian suspect arrested at the camp on Utoya island appears to have acted alone in both attacks, and that "it seems like that this is not linked to any international terrorist organizations at all." The official spoke on condition of anonymity because that information had not been officially released by Norway's police.

"It seems it's not Islamic-terror related," the official said. "This seems like a madman's work." "

*shudders* Its so hard to stomach that people like this really exist in the world... people so sick and twisted. *Winces*

rob
07-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Update and Correction-

The coordinated terror attacks today in Norway have all the hallmarks of an Al-Qaeda terrorist attack. Indeed, my friend whom I spoke to earlier today in Norway confirmed that this was what was being reported in his country, as well as in the international media. The previous threats of terror attacks by Islamic terrorist groups in retaliation for Norway's involvement in military actions in the Middle East and North Africa, are facts. And the claims of supposed responsibily for today's attacks by an Al Qaeda offshoot, did happen. However, it now looks like the threats, although real, were not acted upon or carried out today by Islamic Terrorists, and the claims of responsibility by said groups for today's attacks although made, were untrue.

The international media have been reporting, and my friend in Norway confirms the reports in his country, that it is believed that this was the work of one man. A domestic terrorist unrelated to Al-Qaeda or to any other Islamic terror offshoot group. In Norway he is being referred to as "Norway's Timothy McVeigh".

It also looks like the death toll from this attack, as terrible as it was earlier today, has now reached an absolutely horrendous number. Like Ritzbit, I too don't know why, and never will understand, why such awful things like this have to happen.

Rob

rob
07-22-2011, 08:02 PM
I know, it really is horrible... so hard to digest, too.

They named the suspects but said they were cautioning AGAINST thinking that it was actually external extremists, like Al Queda, and that it was actually internal extremists who caused everything.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43857267/ns/world_news-europe/

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/07/22/501364/main20082028.shtml?tag=re1.channel

" A home-grown terrorist set off an explosion that ripped open buildings in the heart of Norway's government Friday,"

police official said the 32-year-old ethnic Norwegian suspect arrested at the camp on Utoya island appears to have acted alone in both attacks, and that "it seems like that this is not linked to any international terrorist organizations at all." The official spoke on condition of anonymity because that information had not been officially released by Norway's police.

"It seems it's not Islamic-terror related," the official said. "This seems like a madman's work." "

*shudders* Its so hard to stomach that people like this really exist in the world... people so sick and twisted. *Winces*

Looks like you and I were typing at almost the same time. Yep, the information you relay matches up with what I know as of now. It's just unbelieveable that so much hatred could exist in just one person to make them do such a horrendous thing.

I don't get it. I never will get it.

Update: Norweigian News Service (NSK), as of this evening, confirms the combined death toll of the Oslo bombing and the children's camp shooting, is 87 people.

ritzbit
07-23-2011, 04:26 AM
Its so sad =( I watched the BBC all morning yesterday until I left to go out for the rest of the day. I can't believe the lengths people will go to these days! None of those people should have died. It was so senseless.

Manderson
07-23-2011, 06:24 AM
Absolutely horrifying

lizbond36
07-23-2011, 06:31 AM
With all of this fear and killing each other. Is very sad, Here is my Fav song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIFY9h8DImg
Hugs
Liz

rob
07-23-2011, 12:14 PM
With all of this fear and killing each other. Is very sad, Here is my Fav song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIFY9h8DImg
Hugs
Liz

That's one of the greatest songs ever Liz.

Linda From Australia
07-23-2011, 01:15 PM
I havenít had access to the news all day, but my husband has been informing me of the details. My heart goes out to the families and friends of this disastrous act of violence. What ever goes through peopleís minds to be so destructive?

KCat
07-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Late last night I saw the latest numbers and all I could do was cry. All I can do is send out prayers to Norway. Heartbreaking.

steve.b
07-24-2011, 07:42 AM
i saw a report, that they found his diary.
he was planning it for over 2 years.

it is beyond my understanding, how someone can have so little respect for another life.

lovedbyHim
07-24-2011, 08:26 AM
i saw a report, that they found his diary.
he was planning it for over 2 years.

it is beyond my understanding, how someone can have so little respect for another life.

In the work I do, I've noticed that when someone has a severe mental illness and refuces to accept it & treat it, their thinking becomes so distorted that you wonder how they can awaken every day and not take their own life. Then everyone else is to blame for how tortured they are inside. No matter how are you try to convince them it is a distortion of thinking, it is almost impossible. A fixed delusion or belief is there. It scares me at times and I must report this to supervisors. I don't know this man's story. All I know is it's a mess.

ritzbit
07-24-2011, 08:40 AM
Its knowing that people like that exist that make you afraid some days to go out and do normal things. Never know when something terrible like that can happen.

lovedbyHim
07-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Its knowing that people like that exist that make you afraid some days to go out and do normal things. Never know when something terrible like that can happen.

Yes it kind of spoils how we view our world. I used to walk freely in the dark and and now that I know what I know I am changed. I have been locked behind doors, headlocked, threatened to be raped and groped by people in my job. I still must go into their homes by myself and always have an awareness of the exits, the persons body language, and be analyzing everything. I am so tired at the end of a day and sometimes broken hearted by the stories I hear of gang rapes, incest, etc. I'm sorry our world has this horror in it to dear.