PDA

View Full Version : 200mg of predn....is this bad?

kkgadro
12-27-2005, 11:03 AM
I was taking 10mg of predn for four years. The DR stopped prescription in June because my bones and such were getting bad. Now that I have become so sick he put me on 200mg per day. What does this mean? He said that there is not much more that he can do for me and he also is checking my liver and some other things. I cant handle the higher dose of predn and I have to call to tell him my breathing and blood pressure are way off from the higher dose. Is 200 mg alot? What happens to most people from here?
Thank you
Luv ya's

TracyDawn
12-27-2005, 01:41 PM
I have no idea since I've never had prednisone daily (I get shots every 6 months or so that for now control things for the most part) but that does sem a little high to me. Hopefully someone with experience with it will be round soon to shed more light on it for you. I am sorry you are flaring right now and hope it gets controlled soon. I'm in one too, started creeping up last week and hit on Christmas day. Fun fun right? UGH I hope you feel better. {{HUG}}

kkgadro
12-27-2005, 02:16 PM
My flair has lasted 4 years....no kidding! I have had no relief as yet. It is the strangest thing. Just getting worse. Weird?

tdeyne
12-29-2005, 05:27 PM
200 mg of prednisone is an EXTREMELY high dose!! I have never heard of anyone getting that high of a dose before. Not saying it's not possible, but honey that is a VERY high dose...I've been on 60mg before and that was considered very high. I don't mean to scare you or anything....I'm sure he has a valid reason as to why he's doing this....What about methotrexate? It does not work as fast as prednisone, but once it kicks in it's stronger without all of prednisone side effects...It has put me in remission twice. Please ask him about that. Take care.

Saysusie
12-29-2005, 06:50 PM
Hi Kkgadro:
The dose of prednisone will be different for different patients and for different symptoms or illnesses. The initial dosage of prednisone tablets may vary from 5 mg to 60 mg of prednisone per day, depending on the specific disease and symptoms being treated. If, after a reasonable period of time, there is a lack of satisfactory clinical response, prednisone should be discontinued and the patient should be transferred to other appropriate therapy.
In some cases, when symptoms are exacerbated, doctors have prescribed 200 mg of prednisolone for no more than a week followed by 60-80 mg every other day for 1 month.
I agree with Tdeyne that 200 mg/day is a very high dosage. I also agree that you should talk to your doctor about using something like methotrexate so that you can lower your dosage of prednisone. Prednisone and the anti-malarial drugs (such as Plaquenil) remain the cornerstone of treatment for Lupus because of their effectiveness and safety. The immunosuppressive drugs, Methotrexate (Rheumatrex) or azathioprine (Imuran) are used as steroid-sparing drugs. Meaning, their use can decrease the use of steroids. Low dosages of Methotrexate (Rheumatrex), such as 7.5 mg given orally once per week, are extremely effective in the treatment of lupus.
Please talk to your doctor and let us know how things are going!
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie