PDA

View Full Version : Charley Horses Anyone?????

Ronnie
07-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Does anyone get charley horses in the back of there legs and feet? I mean in the back of the legs, thighs, calves, shins, on souls of feet and toes? One day I even had my muscle in the back of one leg just freeze up. It was rock hard. The seem to be freezing up a lot lately. It will hurt and it is hard to walk. The back of my thighs and my calves freeze up the worst, but I get severe charely horses in my feet. Some days it is a struggle to even walk. I am not deficient in potassium or magnesium. I have Raynauds and Vilitigo reticularis and some connective tissue disorder that they haven't figured out yet??? Does any of this say anything to anyone to help me get diagnosed. I have so many issues but my blood tests never show anything except a pos ana of 1:80. Oh yeah and I was told 2x by a rheumi that I have fibromyalgia from a car accident last October, but my GP says that is just a catch all. When they can't figure it out they call it that so I tend to forget that.

ruziska
07-21-2011, 07:30 PM
Yes. I get them when my Vitamin D levels are too low.

n.mac
07-21-2011, 07:35 PM
I get charley horses in thigh and calves-generally it happens in my sleep-I wake with a start and jump out of bed. It can be intensely painfull and take several minutes to walk it off. I have asked doctors down through the years and always got the standard- eat a banna, your potassium deficient answer.I'm sure that has happened a few times a year since I was 8 or 9.

magistramarla
07-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Yes, my calf muscles are constantly rock-hard, also called spastic. Other muscles in my legs spasm, too - very often it wakes me up in the night.
All of my vitamin levels have been checked often, and they are all normal, or even high.
Is one of your connective tissue diseases Sjogren's by any chance? Terry and I both have it, and we have compared notes a lot, and in my research I've found that it can have a lot of neurological manifestations. So can CNS Lupus.
Hugs,
Marla

lovedbyHim
07-21-2011, 11:38 PM
I seem to be getting them a lot more often as I have the sweats & chills. I also have a vit. D deficiency & take prescription vit D. I also have fibromyalgia and get looked at like I am nuts by some docs(grin).

You can purchase tonic water with quinine in it and it helps. Prune juice has more potassium in it than bananas and does wonders for other things as well (grin).

rob
07-22-2011, 02:45 AM
I get the same thing too. It usually happens at night, and it really hurts. Feels literally like a knot has been tied in my calf muscle. I find that the quinine in tonic water does help.

It's nasty tasting stuff, but it's not bad if you add some Stoli, two olives, and a dash of Vermouth. Shaken, not stirred, of course.

lovedbyHim
07-22-2011, 02:52 AM
i get the same thing too. It usually happens at night, and it really hurts. Feels literally like a knot has been tied in my calf muscle. I find that the quinine in tonic water does help.

It's nasty tasting stuff, but it's not bad if you add some stoli, two olives, and a dash of vermouth. Shaken, not stirred, of course.

he's baaack............! My first giggle for the day! Thanks rob!

rob
07-22-2011, 02:57 AM
he's baaack............! My first giggle for the day! Thanks rob!

Howdy Tammy!

Peridot20_Gem
07-22-2011, 03:05 AM
Hi get it in my calfs and feet alot...just how marla explained it we suffer with things such alike.

Refering spasms it's always morning time going into the afternoon...i could scream with the pain but take paracetamol to help ease it, so we know what your going through.

Sjogren's like Marla said could be possibly causing this or Scleroderma which is involved with Raynauds Disease and can also cause these symptoms.

Terry xxx

Linda From Australia
07-22-2011, 05:58 AM
Does anyone get charley horses in the back of there legs and feet?

OK guys, what is that? Another overseas term for legs that kick out sometimes? I have no idea what you are all talking about!

rob
07-22-2011, 07:43 AM
OK guys, what is that? Another overseas term for legs that kick out sometimes? I have no idea what you are all talking about!

A Charlie Horse is a serious condition that's caused by acute Vegemite withdrawal. Terrible affliction it is...

(actually, a Charlie Horse is slang for leg cramps)

lovedbyHim
07-22-2011, 09:53 AM

Linda I get them...Neyhhhhhhhh.......bucking wildly here!

magistramarla
07-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Well, Rob seems to be in a fine mood today!
Linda,
It is a leg cramp or spasm that just won't go away - can pull you down to the floor quite suddenly.

rob
07-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Well, Rob seems to be in a fine mood today!
Linda,
It is a leg cramp or spasm that just won't go away - can pull you down to the floor quite suddenly.

I love the cross-cultural education I get here. A little while back, I didn't know what Vegemite was. Then, our good friends from Australia (Linda, Steve, and Giggle, I think) explained to me what it is, and even gave me a link to a really funny TV commercial for it.

Well, fast forward a couple more weeks, and I actually find a place where I can buy the stuff locally. I open the jar, put a little on a ritz cracker, and down the hatch it goes. I had visions of Tom Hanks in the movie Big, when he eats the caviar at a dinner party. Well, Vegemite tastes strange, but it's not bad. It kinda grows on you.

Anyway, that's where the Vegemite joke came from. (I do like the stuff)

Rob

n.mac
07-22-2011, 07:15 PM
I love the cross-cultural education I get here. A little while back, I didn't know what Vegemite was. Then, our good friends from Australia (Linda, Steve, and Giggle, I think) explained to me what it is, and even gave me a link to a really funny TV commercial for it.

Well, fast forward a couple more weeks, and I actually find a place where I can buy the stuff locally. I open the jar, put a little on a ritz cracker, and down the hatch it goes. I had visions of Tom Hanks in the movie Big, when he eats the caviar at a dinner party. Well, Vegemite tastes strange, but it's not bad. It kinda grows on you.

Anyway, that's where the Vegemite joke came from. (I do like the stuff)

RobGot the joke -thought it was quite witty and have had vegimite myself,not bad

Linda From Australia
07-22-2011, 07:27 PM
A Charlie Horse is a serious condition that's caused by acute Vegemite withdrawal. Terrible affliction it is...

(actually, a Charlie Horse is slang for leg cramps)

I googled to see where the saying “Charley Horses" came from and nobody really knows, except it is baseball slang for leg cramp. Thank you for educating me on the finer art of the American language

I would suggest then whenever your leg cramps, smear some Vegemite over the affected area for 20 minutes. Wipe the Vegemite off your leg with a warm cloth and you should see some improvement.

rob
07-22-2011, 08:15 PM
I googled to see where the saying “Charley Horses" came from and nobody really knows, except it is baseball slang for leg cramp. Thank you for educating me on the finer art of the American language

I would suggest then whenever your leg cramps, smear some Vegemite over the affected area for 20 minutes. Wipe the Vegemite off your leg with a warm cloth and you should see some improvement.

I hear that in a pinch it also doubles as an effective substitute for sunblock. I bet it's at least SPF-50...

Seriously though, I really do like the stuff. I actually bought a second jar.

Peridot20_Gem
07-23-2011, 04:45 AM

I would suggest then whenever your leg cramps, smear some Vegemite over the affected area for 20 minutes. Wipe the Vegemite off your leg with a warm cloth and you should see some improvement.Oh Linda,

What can i say mate your wit gets worse everyday i've been having a right laugh this end...rub it on the area for 20mins

((GOOD ONE MATE)) lol

lovedbyHim
07-23-2011, 04:55 AM

You are so right about our slang here! For years when my children would do something naughty I would say, " You little bugger! I never knew I was called my children a horrible name until someone pointed it out to me. I am sure Terry knows what this means. Lol

Peridot20_Gem
07-23-2011, 05:22 AM
You are so right about our slang here! For years when my children would do something naughty I would say, " You little bugger! I never knew I was called my children a horrible name until someone pointed it out to me. I am sure Terry knows what this means. LolOf course i do Tammy.lol

It means (wink) you've lost your name through playing up i was one regular besides sod...but in Laymans terms (christ Tam i've swallowed the dictionary today mate) lol

1) a species of wild animal often found in school classrooms.

2) a small dog which thinks that "come here" means "run as fast as possible in the opposite direction", and/or who thinks it's amusing to investigate inaccessible places, and/or who likes to roll in goose shit.

3) I'm teaching a class of 40, and all but one or two are little buggers. I caught one of the little buggers this morning with a pencil up his nose.

4) Come here, you little bugger! Here! I said HERE! HERE!!!!! NO NOT OVER THERE! HERE! (repeat for half an hour)

lovedbyHim
07-23-2011, 05:27 AM
Of course i do Tammy.lol

It means (wink) you've lost your name through playing up i was one regular besides sod...but in Laymans terms (christ Tam i've swallowed the dictionary today mate) lol

1) a species of wild animal often found in school classrooms.

2) a small dog which thinks that "come here" means "run as fast as possible in the opposite direction", and/or who thinks it's amusing to investigate inaccessible places, and/or who likes to roll in goose shit.

3) a small homosexual.

1) I'm teaching a class of 40, and all but one or two are little buggers. I caught one of the little buggers this morning with a pencil up his nose.

2) Come here, you little bugger! Here! I said HERE! HERE!!!!! NO NOT OVER THERE! HERE! (repeat for half an hour)

3) The little bugger had to stand on a chair to reach his partner's arse

I am doubled over laughing here! That's right Terry! It is an English term that is horrible! Here iwas in church saint that!

steve.b
07-23-2011, 05:44 AM
Origin of BUGGER
Middle English bougre heretic, from Anglo-French bugre, from Medieval Latin Bulgarus, literally, Bulgarian; from the association of Bulgaria with the Bogomils, who were accused of sodomy First Known Use: 1555

bug·ger (bug′ər)
noun
1. a sodomite
2. a contemptible person
3. a fellow; chap; also, a rascal or scamp: often used humorously or affectionately

the best use of the word bugger.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfzUx6PiNd8

Peridot20_Gem
07-23-2011, 05:50 AM
Steve i did that one as a joke mate for Tammy but 2 versions was knocked out.

((Tammy i'll murder ya)) lol for answering to quick while i'm editing.

lovedbyHim
07-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Steve i did that one as a joke mate for Tammy but 2 versions was knocked out.

((Tammy i'll murder ya)) lol for answering to quick while i'm editing.

Actually Terry I thought it was something you pick out of your nose. Ahahaha.

Peridot20_Gem
07-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Very funny mate...your sense of humour can be terrible at times. lol

rob
07-23-2011, 02:45 PM
I remember the first time I met someone from the UK. It was a fellow I used to work with at a gun shop years ago. Seemed like a decent fellow right off the bat. We were outside during break his first day at the shop, and he pulls out a pack of cigarettes, motions in my direction, and asks me if I'd "care for a fag". My response was "Well, um, no, I've nothing against folks like that, but I'm not that kind of guy..."

That was when I learned that the term "fag" in the UK is slang for a cigarette, rather than a disparaging term used to refer to a gay man as it is here in the US. He hadn't been in the US for more than a week at that point, so he had no idea of the cultural differences of the word, nor did I. We had a good laugh about it after we figured out what each person was talking about.

Rob

lovedbyHim
07-23-2011, 03:31 PM
I remember the first time I met someone from the UK. It was a fellow I used to work with at a gun shop years ago. Seemed like a decent fellow right off the bat. We were outside during break his first day at the shop, and he pulls out a pack of cigarettes, motions in my direction, and asks me if I'd "care for a fag". My response was "Well, um, no, I've nothing against folks like that, but I'm not that kind of guy..."

That was when I learned that the term "fag" in the UK is slang for a cigarette, rather than a disparaging term used to refer to a gay man as it is here in the US. He hadn't been in the US for more than a week at that point, so he had no idea of the cultural differences of the word, nor did I. We had a good laugh about it after we figured out what each person was talking about.

Rob

Well, Terry's always talking about wanting one. Sometimes she has two!

Peridot20_Gem
07-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Well, Terry's always talking about wanting one. Sometimes she has two!

Well Tammy i'll keep your mind boggling on that one mate...you know the saying two is always better than one and more of a variety. "lovelay" lol

Sorry about the slang Tam. xxx