PDA

View Full Version : My little secret...

Leksie
07-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Hi guys!
I have not been on in a very long time but know that I have missed you guys and have been doing well. My son Miles is now 16 months old and there is no stopping him. I absolutely adore being a mommy. I am pregnant again and have made it to 28 weeks so far! It's gonna be a girl and this pregnancy has been so much different than my last, I think I am gonna go full term this time!
Now for my little secret...I have not been taking my plaquenil since I found out I was prego but have not told my drs or hubby. I feel like the end result of my pregnancy with Miles was okay but not ideal and since they are unable to give me a reason for not having enough amniotic fluid, or the miscarriage, or the still birth I feel like I needed to do something different this time. My previous 3 pregnancies went south when my lupus flared, which drs felt was due to the pregnancy itself but I have had no flares this time. I just have to remember to stay out of the sun which is kinda hard in FL!

I just had to let someone know cause I feel like keeping secrets cause stress which I don't need.

Thanks for listening,
Natasha

ruziska
07-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Congrats! and your secret is safe with us!

tgal
07-21-2011, 07:41 PM
While I am very happy that your pregnancy went well I must state, for the record, that it is always dangerous to go off meds without consulting your doctors. I understand wanting to come off as m any meds as possible during the pregnancy but keeping things like that from your doctors could have resulted in a very different outcome.

Congrats on the new baby though!

ritzbit
07-21-2011, 08:03 PM
I love a happy story =) congrats on your little man and little girl on the way =) I hope it continues to go well for you!

magistramarla
07-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Leksie,
I am so glad to see you here again! I'm glad to read that Miles is doing well - aren't toddlers fun?
What good news - a little girl! 28 weeks is pretty safe, even if she comes early. 34 weeks would be even better.
Take good care of yourself and hang in there for the long haul!
I hope that you stay safe without the Plaquenil.
Please keep coming back to keep us informed and to post some pics of your new little doll (and big brother, too).
I've missed you and wondered how you were doing.
Love & Hugs,
Marla

Leksie
07-21-2011, 09:12 PM
While I am very happy that your pregnancy went well I must state, for the record, that it is always dangerous to go off meds without consulting your doctors. I understand wanting to come off as m any meds as possible during the pregnancy but keeping things like that from your doctors could have resulted in a very different outcome.

Congrats on the new baby though!

You are absolutely right! I would never tell anyone to do what I am, it's not really safe. I am very intune with my body and my symptoms and I know how to control them (or regain control). Again...Do Not Do This At Home

Leksie
07-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks Marla posting new pics just for you! (34 weeks is my goal!)

magistramarla
07-21-2011, 09:25 PM
Thanks Marla posting new pics just for you! (34 weeks is my goal!)

Luv ya, Leksie!

debbie-b
07-22-2011, 03:58 AM
Hi Leksie,

It is so nice to hear from you. It is awesome that little Miles is doing so well.
Congratulations on your pregnancy, I pray everything is well.
About your meds, I can understand, what you are doing. I don't know what I would do in your situation.
How has your Lupus been lately?
I am wishing you and your babies all the best. Let us know how you are doing.

Debbie

Linda From Australia
07-22-2011, 05:36 AM
oohhhh how cute, I just saw the black and white photo of your little boy ... I just want to pinch those little puffy cheeks .....
http://forum.wehavelupus.com/album.php?albumid=373&attachmentid=4156
I thought I had seen your photos before, I even posted a comment on the ship photo in July last year ... still waiting for your reply to my question.

Take care, you are over half way there. Keep us up to date with your pregnancy progress, and what about a photo of your baby in your tummy?

magistramarla
07-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Leksie,
I just looked at the pics of Miles. OMG, those eyes! He is precious! I saw that black and white picture, and all I could think about was that he looks like a baby Nat King Cole.
I can't wait to see your little girl.
Hugs,
Marla

Leksie
07-23-2011, 09:04 AM
Thanks for all the compliments! Miles is definately an old soul, he will sit back and watch everyone else and then decide what he wants to do and with who.

Saysusie
07-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Congratulations on your pregnancy! I remember you posting about your previous pregnancies and the difficulty with Miles. I was so happy when you posted his newborn pictures and am so happy to see how healthy and handsome he is at 16 months!! Now, he will soon have a healthy baby sister :-)
The following is information that I found on the WebMD and John Hopkins websites concerning pregnancy and medication, specifically Plaquenil.

1) Pregnancy- Unless you are taking it for malaria or liver disease caused by
protozoa , high dosage use of this medicine is not recommended during pregnancy. In animal studies, hydroxychloroquine has been shown to cause damage to the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord) of the fetus, including damage to hearing and sense of balance, bleeding inside the eyes, and other eye problems.
However, when given in low doses (once a week) this medicine has not been shown to cause birth defects or other problems in pregnant women with Lupus.

2) Safety of hydroxychloroquine in pregnant patients:
November 2003. In this French study of 133 pregnant women with Lupus
who were taking hydroxychloroquine (HCQ). The study found no statistically
significant differences between the women taking HCQ and a control group.

3) Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) in PregnancyResearchers from Paris, France
studied 101 female patients with lupus who were taking hydroxychloroquine:

(Plaquenil) during pregnancy and for at least 6 months prior to pregnancy.
They found no increase in birth defects compared with the general population and had no visual or hearing side effects of the drug in these patients.Dr. Shiel's Perspective: When I first began rheumatology practice, now two decades ago, the standard of care was to discontinue hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) at least 3 months prior to pregnancy in women with lupus. Now more and more research studies are showing that hydroxychloroquine
(Plaquenil) is not only effective in keeping lupus quiet, but it is also relatively safe throughout pregnancy.

JOHN HOPKINS (medication and pregnancy):
The most important maternal risk of pregnancy is that of a lupus flare. In prospective studies at both Hopkins and in London, the risk of flare is greater in a pregnant than a non-pregnant woman.
The physician caring for a woman with lupus who wishes to become or is currently pregnant must review her medications. Prednisone is largely metabolized by the placenta, and is unlikely to cause any fetal malformations, but will increase the risk of diabetes and hypertension in the mother. Some immunosuppressives, such as imuran (azathioprine) have been continued during lupus pregnancy when necessary to control maternal lupus. Cyclophosphamide should never be used during pregnancy because of the high risk of important birth defects. Because of potential teratogenicity, Coumadin should be switched to heparin as soon as the woman knows she is pregnant. ACE-inhibitors, because of effects on fetal kidney development, should be stopped as soon as the woman knows she is pregnant. NSAIDs are usually allowed during the first trimester only, because of potential adverse effects on the fetal ductus arteriosus. Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) has a good safety record in lupus pregnancy, and is usually continued if needed to control maternal lupus.I hope that this information has been helpful to you. I cannot advise you on what to do in order to have a successful pregnancy and a health child. But, it is important that you take steps to avoid a flare-up and they can do serious harm to your pregnancy. I would suggest that you do speak with your doctor about not taking the Plaquenil as it can help to subvert a flare. Perhaps you, your rheumy, and your OB/GYN can work together to decide on what type of treatment you can take, during your pregnancy, in order to alleviate you fears and to hopefully prevent a flare up. You state that you have not flared yet, that is absolutely wonderful and I hope that you go full term with no flare ups and no complications at all. I wish you the very best :-)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie