PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Medication.

Nixxie
07-20-2011, 07:06 AM
How does everybody here manage it? Do you have pillboxes and alarms and other such systems for remembering and ordering your meds?

At the minute I have a weekly pill box and still sometimes forget to take some meds. It can be 9pm before I think.... "sh*t, i havent taken my meds yet" and then I have to try get them all taken before bedtime! I even have a daily alarm on my BB but most days I dismiss it and say i'll take them in a minute but then get distracted and forget.

On Friday I get my methotrexate and that has to be taken at same time and day each week I believe. I am going to have to have a million reminders in various different ways to remember to take them.

tgal
07-20-2011, 07:50 AM
As many have heard we keep a white board on the wall between the kitchen and dining area. When I am going through a time of really bad memory "take meds" with the time is on the white board. The methotrexate is easy. I take it before bedtime on Sunday night. The problem I have is that I am thinking that I am missing some meds. I don't mean they are stolen I am thinking that I have run out of some but I have no idea which ones. I had a list of meds that I kept in my purse but who knows where that is now. Each night I look at them and think "it seems like I had more before" LOL.

Change of subject... I noticed your 40mg of ammitriptyline daily...I take 150 daily and, at one time, took 300! Wow... now I feel like slug LOL

steve.b
07-20-2011, 07:56 AM
i take my pills twice a day.
once as i get out of bed.
and again when i am getting ready for bed.

i make up a weekly package.
i use a list to remeber what goes where and when.
i keep a copy of this list next to my meds, in my wallet and on my computer.

i still have trouble remembering sometimes.

ritzbit
07-20-2011, 08:08 AM
I wish I could answer but I still havent found a solution to this problem myself. Me and my pills are usually in an epic battle just to get me to take them, much less remember when to take them. If Im tired at night or rushed in the morning Im lucky I remember them at all whether its later than Im supposed to take them or not. I have a love hate relationship with them, and lately its been mostly hate. Which is probably why I mostly feel like crap. I hope you find a good system. AM PM pill cases help, along with a phone alarm. I've considered doing sticky notes of stuff I typically use around the time Im supposed to take them like my tooth brush at night and computer in the morning. I havent actually done it yet lol but I think it'd be helpful.

Nixxie
07-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Yes I am on a low dose of amitriptyline. (I hate spelling that word, I swear I spell it differently each time!) I started off on 10mg but have had to increase. I only take it to help me sleep!! I cannot imagine having to take 300mg!! Is that for sleeping or is it for pain relief?

What dosages does amitriptyline come in? Currently I take 4x10mg at bedtime. But I dont imagine you take 15x10mg daily!

Nixxie
07-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Sticky notes sound like a good idea actually! Might have to try that one.

rob
07-20-2011, 09:34 AM
I keep my meds in their original bottles right next to the candy jar in my kitchen. I walk past that jar (full of peanut M&M's) a half dozen times a day at least, and since my attention always goes to the candy jar, I see my meds right there, and take them when it's close to the time to take them. I don't shoot for taking my meds at the exact same time every day. I figure as long as I'm within a couple of hours of the target time, I'll be fine.

It sounds funny, but it works for me. Raiding the candy jar was an established habit, so putting the meds there did the trick.

Peridot20_Gem
07-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Nikki,

I keep my meds in one of the kitchen draws and sort them out every sunday night after i take the plaquenil at 11 into a pill box...i think i've done it that long for 25yrs it's a regular routine but i do have my moments of forgetting to take my morning tablets and soon know if i've forgotten them i get the shakes by 11am..when i should have took them at 9.

Mind you it's one boring routine and i always say to my hubby i dow have to become a chunky as i am one already.

Terry xxx

Elo
07-20-2011, 09:56 AM
I take my first half of meds in the morning. Okay, it's technically not "morning", since I normally take them after I wake up, which is around 1... I know, I know, I sleep a lot. Normally I stumble out of bed and make myself take them with a piece of toast or something. Othertimes I put it off for an hour. My second batch, I have an alarm at 9PM - because one of my meds I have to take at the same time every day, and I normally take all of them then. Sometimes I skip the ones I don't need to take right away, and end up taking them before bed or the next time I get a snack.

lovedbyHim
07-20-2011, 12:33 PM
I keep my meds in their original bottles right next to the candy jar in my kitchen. I walk past that jar (full of peanut M&M's) a half dozen times a day at least, and since my attention always goes to the candy jar, I see my meds right there, and take them when it's close to the time to take them. I don't shoot for taking my meds at the exact same time every day. I figure as long as I'm within a couple of hours of the target time, I'll be fine.

It sounds funny, but it works for me. Raiding the candy jar was an established habit, so putting the meds there did the trick.

Rob if I did this I would weigh 300 pounds!

Peridot20_Gem
07-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Rob if I did this I would weigh 300 pounds!Tammy it's a matter of controlling your eyes mate....then the 300lbs would'nt appear.lol

lovedbyHim
07-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Tammy it's a matter of controlling your eyes mate....then the 300lbs would'nt appear.lol

So what I think I hear you saying is if I eat the whole jar in one day, just don't look in the mirror and I won't see the 300lbs. Okay!

KCat
07-20-2011, 07:48 PM
I recently upgraded to an IPhone (my ancient but beloved Razr died - sniffle) and I got a free "Dosecast" app. It chimes to let me know it's time to take my meds. I love it. I was always missing my mid-day Ultram and now - I don't. :)

Peridot20_Gem
07-21-2011, 03:55 AM
So what I think I hear you saying is if I eat the whole jar in one day, just don't look in the mirror and I won't see the 300lbs. Okay!What i'm saying is ignore the jar..it's all down to will power mate and you'll never see those 300lbs in the mirror.

Peridot20_Gem
07-21-2011, 03:57 AM
I recently upgraded to an IPhone (my ancient but beloved Razr died - sniffle) and I got a free "Dosecast" app. It chimes to let me know it's time to take my meds. I love it. I was always missing my mid-day Ultram and now - I don't. :)Fantastic method mate...there's a madness behind we all, for some reason or another.lol

Toradoradi
07-21-2011, 03:59 AM
I finally got a pill kit thing (it's purple and cute) and it's easier to remember if I had taken them or not. I was having trouble before remembering if I had taken them or if I hadn't since I took them twice a day it all sort of ran together. I find it helpful to keep the pills in a spot a walk past or see several times a day. I have my pills sitting on the kitchen counter across from the refrigerator so everytime I get something to drink or go in the kitchen to cook I see them and it's a constant reminder that I have to take them. It works for me anyways, just putting it in a spot a see all the tome during the day and the pill kit has really helped me out.

Peridot20_Gem
07-21-2011, 05:43 AM
I finally got a pill kit thing (it's purple and cute) and it's easier to remember if I had taken them or not. I was having trouble before remembering if I had taken them or if I hadn't since I took them twice a day it all sort of ran together. I find it helpful to keep the pills in a spot a walk past or see several times a day. I have my pills sitting on the kitchen counter across from the refrigerator so everytime I get something to drink or go in the kitchen to cook I see them and it's a constant reminder that I have to take them. It works for me anyways, just putting it in a spot a see all the tome during the day and the pill kit has really helped me out.When i lived at home till i was 29 i had no chance of forgetting my meds as my mother was right on the ball with me 4 times a day but when i left i left home the pill box was the first thing i got because it's like you say Toradoradi if you shake or don't feel well by checking you know if you've add your meds or not.

(I SUGGEST TO ALL MEMBER'S GET A PILL BOX)

KCat
07-21-2011, 08:04 AM
When i lived at home till i was 29 i had no chance of forgetting my meds as my mother was right on the ball with me 4 times a day but when i left i left home the pill box was the first thing i got because it's like you say Toradoradi if you shake or don't feel well by checking you know if you've add your meds or not.

(I SUGGEST TO ALL MEMBER'S GET A PILL BOX)

Because we are members of AARP (for non-US members, Ancient Americans political action group known more accurately as American Association of Retired Persons) I receive a catalog for "mature" persons. :P This catalog has a number of different pillboxes for sale, some fairly simple, some complex with timers and whatnot. I went with something in the middle. It has a box for each day and each box has four slots (morning, noon, midday, night). I can see when I've missed a dose but that only works if I actually look at it. Recently I was not feeling well (unrelated) and forgot an afternoon dose of Ultram. Then forgot my late night dose. The next morning, I could not understand why I felt so awful. (I confess I have become dependent on the drug after many years. I also confess I use a lot of parentheses). When I finally snapped to what I'd done, I could only curl up in bed under three layers of covers in the 100-degree Houston summer and wait for the med to kick in. This was all before the IPhone was purchased. So even with a complex pillbox, it's hard sometimes to keep track of it. You just do what you have to do and like Peridot_Gem said, if you don't feel well, you can guess it's time to check the pillbox. Unfortunately, then there's the recovery time.

I like the idea of keeping it with something you know you'll access daily regardless - like the candy jar or refrigerator.* Now if I could just get a routine going. That's the one problem with being "retired" that I've never quite worked out. Routine. Still working on it with the therapist.

Sorry - I do go on.

*My husband has a thing about meds in the kitchen. I do not quite understand this. Not even vitamins. No go. Somewhere along the line he connected them with risk of infection. Don't know where or how but that is not an option for me or it would be my first choice. It's where my folks always kept their vitamins and medications. Not attractive but definitely handy. Especially when so many of these have to be taken with food.

KCat the Verbose

Peridot20_Gem
07-21-2011, 09:32 AM
Hi Kcat,

It's a shame your hubby does'nt believe in keeping them in the kitchen...we have one single unit where all other meds are kept down below and my other meds are in their boxes in the draw above with my pill box.

Even though i've got that pill box, some morning's i've had my moments and forgotten but with how much meds i take you can guarantee by 11am i'm shaking and if my hubby clocks me not looking right he checks before hand, he's used to the signs after 10yrs.

Kcat you've nothing to apologise for and your not going on...your venting and expressing what you feel and that's what we're all here for to give one another full love and support.

Hugs Terry xxx

tgal
07-21-2011, 11:44 AM
I recently upgraded to an IPhone (my ancient but beloved Razr died - sniffle) and I got a free "Dosecast" app. It chimes to let me know it's time to take my meds. I love it. I was always missing my mid-day Ultram and now - I don't. :)

OHHHH IPhone do you say??? Nonna, do you think we may have another "word with friends" player??? :)

dawn patrol
07-22-2011, 04:12 AM
I take my meds 2x/day, around 2p and 2a. My service dog is learning how to remind me. If I miss too many doses my face and hands go numb, brain gets fuzzy and I have seizures. My rheumatologist recommended amitriptylene (or however you spell it) but I decided not to take it. I was thinking about it.. I have ambien to fall asleep. Other stuff to help with pain. That amitripwhatever- was taken off the market before and is one of the oldest antidepressants around. I felt like if I took it perhaps I would eventually develop mood swings when I have none now. Other people I know that have taken it have had sexual side effects...why in the world do they want us lupies to take this stuff?

Toradoradi
07-22-2011, 04:19 AM
OHHHH IPhone do you say??? Nonna, do you think we may have another "word with friends" player??? :)

Looove words with friends :) my username is Toradoradi-of course lol!

Linda From Australia
07-22-2011, 05:16 AM
I have a dosette box just like the picture I have pasted below. The lids are clear so I can see if I have taken my medication. If you click on the picture, you can see an enlarged picture

This is probably not the most ethical thing to do, but a couple of students remind me to take my pain killers at lunch time. Even when I am reminded to take my tablets, I sometimes get busy and forget.

KCat
07-22-2011, 10:22 AM
I take my meds 2x/day, around 2p and 2a. My service dog is learning how to remind me. If I miss too many doses my face and hands go numb, brain gets fuzzy and I have seizures. My rheumatologist recommended amitriptylene (or however you spell it) but I decided not to take it. I was thinking about it.. I have ambien to fall asleep. Other stuff to help with pain. That amitripwhatever- was taken off the market before and is one of the oldest antidepressants around. I felt like if I took it perhaps I would eventually develop mood swings when I have none now. Other people I know that have taken it have had sexual side effects...why in the world do they want us lupies to take this stuff?

this is going off topic but...

well, my guess is that most ADs do help with pain as well as depression and sleep. I took it for migraines back when I was in my twenties but I wouldn't take it either. It caused a sort of med-induced diabetic-like response. I craved sugar something awful and started packing on the pounds but not processing the sugar properly. Doc took me off of it and I was fine soon after. Too bad because I did sleep like a rock. I just gave up on sleep meds as a whole. Like any drug, it's not for everyone.

steve.b
07-22-2011, 10:51 PM
kcat,
the reason there is so many different types of antideppresants, it they all have slightly different side effects.
they also work slightly differently.
if one does not work, or has a side effect that is not good, there is a choice.

i tried 3 different types, before i started what i am on now. a combination of 2 types.

Peridot20_Gem
07-23-2011, 05:39 AM
I have a dosette box just like the picture I have pasted below. The lids are clear so I can see if I have taken my medication. If you click on the picture, you can see an enlarged picture

This is probably not the most ethical thing to do, but a couple of students remind me to take my pain killers at lunch time. Even when I am reminded to take my tablets, I sometimes get busy and forget.
4161Linda,

I use the same container mate but like yourself i've had my moments of forgetting.

Melodyroseak
08-09-2011, 05:16 PM
I have to take 15 different meds a day, I set my alarm on my cell phone and what it is I am taking at the time. When friends are over they hear my phone alarms and say "Time to take your Meds Melody." Try to take it in stride.

KCat
08-09-2011, 05:17 PM
I have to take 15 different meds a day, I set my alarm on my cell phone and what it is I am taking at the time. When friends are over they hear my phone alarms and say "Time to take your Meds Melody." Try to take it in stride.

:)

My husband has started relying on my 9:00 chimes to take his evening meds.

leaann
08-17-2011, 07:34 AM
As far as meds go I was having the same problem, trying to keep up with all of them- remembering when to take and what to take and what to take with and so on. My husband suggested that since I just got a new android phone that I look for an app that would help me keep up with all it. I have been trying the app for about 2 weeks now and it seems to work. I don't like taking all the pills either, I feel like I take pills instead of eating sometimes. My son is 21 and he was trying to help the other day when he said that I was taking "Living Pills" I thought what ??? living pills, he yeah you take them you live you don't take them and you die, cause I would kill you.(Joking) but you get the idea of what he said. So yes looking at it a different way may be the key factor to help you take them and remember them.

steve.b
08-17-2011, 07:06 PM
leann
kcat posted earlier about an iphone app.
it chimes when it is pill time.

lacey50
08-20-2011, 10:58 AM
As far as meds go I was having the same problem, trying to keep up with all of them- remembering when to take and what to take and what to take with and so on. My husband suggested that since I just got a new android phone that I look for an app that would help me keep up with all it. I have been trying the app for about 2 weeks now and it seems to work. I don't like taking all the pills either, I feel like I take pills instead of eating sometimes. My son is 21 and he was trying to help the other day when he said that I was taking "Living Pills" I thought what ??? living pills, he yeah you take them you live you don't take them and you die, cause I would kill you.(Joking) but you get the idea of what he said. So yes looking at it a different way may be the key factor to help you take them and remember them.

Love what your son said. " Living Pills", that is how I will be thinking each time I take one of my zillion pills.