PDA

View Full Version : Symptoms of other illnesses

Nixxie
07-19-2011, 04:52 AM
If you found yourself getting symptoms of illnesses other than those which you have been diagnosed, would you mention it to your GP/rheumy??

I feel like a hypercondriact if I mention something so I usually tend to keep quiet. I figure that if I had something else he would diagnose it surely?? However I do have alot of symptoms or fibro. Might this be possible or is it more likely that my lupus symptoms are just similar?? Should I mention this when I next see him?

Elo
07-19-2011, 05:03 AM
Would I tell my GP? Well....maybe. Right now I would, because I don't have a rheumy (yet), but if I had a rheumy, I would tell them rather than my GP. Simple reason being that rheumatologists see a lot more issues of people being very sick, and they're much, much, MUCH less likely to assume you're a hypochondriac if you show symptoms of multiple diseases. Hell, they should know that you're MORE likely to see symptoms. GP's, however, are harder to talk to I suppose, or be understood by. However, as long as your rheumy and your GP understand you and support you (don't make any stupid snide comments), then you should definitely tell them and ask them about it. Better to find out sooner than later, so you can be proactive about it.

By the way, congratulations on becoming a Sea Monkey!

Nixxie
07-19-2011, 05:06 AM
Oohhhh I only just noticed that! Yay... much better than being a newbie!!

I think I will mention it to my rheumy when I see him next (september! bah!!) I do worry that he will think I am being daft but its best to tell him every symptom isnt it. I must remember to write this down or else I will forget to tell him as soon as I walk in the door!

Manderson
07-19-2011, 05:13 AM
Mention it. I work in a clinic - sure we sometimes will get an overload of info from patients, but once in awhile in that overload is something specific and very important.

Elo
07-19-2011, 05:23 AM
You're a tadpole now! YAYYYY!!!

Yeah, once you've been diagnosed it's better to talk about new symptoms...the times when it's not that helpful is when you're trying to figure out what's wrong with you, and you write down like every symptom that you've had in years...then it doesn't work out, and THEN they think you're crazy. But if you're already dxed and people know you have a legitimate issue, then mentioning new ones makes sense.

Peridot20_Gem
07-19-2011, 05:25 AM
Nikki,

Anything you feel alot different with that's hit you out the blue and never felt before and it lingers, tell you GP or Rheumo plus we've had so many member's think their hypercondriact's your not so don't worry on that score...we all know our own body's and you just know when somethings not right. xxx

rob
07-19-2011, 09:30 AM
About two years ago, I started having symptoms that I thought were not related to SLE. I did a bit of research so I kinda knew what it could be. I talked to my GP about the new symptoms, and he sent me to a neurologist. That neuro eventually diagnosed me with MS. It wasn't a re-diagnosis of lupus to MS, it was in addition to having lupus. It's called an overlapping illness.

MS is a progressive disease that can progress at a very rapid rate. If I had not brought the new symptoms to my doctors attention, I would have had permanent irreversible neutrological damage far worse than what I have now.

Don't keep your symptoms to yourself. Put the term "hypochondriac" out of your head, and if anyone suggests that you are one, tell them to frak off. It's your body, it's your health, and you have an absolute right to know what is going on.

Rob

Saysusie
07-19-2011, 10:00 AM
I can't say it better than Rob has. I only want to reiterate..mention any symptoms that you notice to your doctors. Keep a log/journal of all of your symptoms so that you can discuss them at every appointment. As Rob mentioned, some symptoms can be very serious and there should be no delay in getting them looked at.
Do not depend upon your doctor's to diagnose. If you don't tell them, they don't ask and they may not look for anything else. It is imperative that you become your own health advocate and that you make sure your doctors know everything that is concerning you. If you want to be tested for something, insist that they do not ignore you or your symptoms.
Can you tell us what new symptoms you are noticing? Perhaps someone else here has something similar and can discuss it with you.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

debbie-b
07-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Tell your doctor.
My rheumy even asked me, if I had any new symptoms.
I am making a list now, because lately I have had a few new symptoms, better safe than sorry.

Debbie

Peridot20_Gem
07-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Tell your doctor.
My rheumy even asked me, if I had any new symptoms.
I am making a list now, because lately I have had a few new symptoms, better safe than sorry.

DebbieDebbie,

You can't beat what your doing mate, wrighting down new symptoms and even better when they ask you...my Dermo's like that concerning myself mate.

Your right better to be safe than sorry. xxx

steve.b
07-20-2011, 02:14 AM
i am lucky enough to have a good relationship with my pcp and rhuemy.

my rhuemy asks me for any new symptoms every visit.

i visited my doctor yesterday.
he actually mentioned about simple health issues.
i am going to start a new thread about this.

Nixxie
07-20-2011, 06:56 AM
Thank you all so much. I think I am going to write a list so that I dont forget to tell him everything. :)

Rob, I love that you said Frak! I'm a BSG nerd and say that all the time!

rob
07-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Thank you all so much. I think I am going to write a list so that I dont forget to tell him everything. :)

Rob, I love that you said Frak! I'm a BSG nerd and say that all the time!

If I said the real F word, being a moderator, I would have to ban myself. That would be kinda weird...

My Sci-Fi nerdiness runs deep, and wide. The "re-imagined" BSG is one of the best Sci-Fi television series ever IMHO. I bought the boxed set that came with one of the old style Cylon action figures. I also love Star Wars, Star Trek, and pretty much anything by James Cameron (Aliens frakking rules). We have quite a few sci-fi fans here, including our fearless leader Saysusie.

Rob

Peridot20_Gem
07-20-2011, 12:49 PM
If I said the real F word, being a moderator, I would have to ban myself. That would be kinda weird...

My Sci-Fi nerdiness runs deep, and wide. The "re-imagined" BSG is one of the best Sci-Fi television series ever IMHO. I bought the boxed set that came with one of the old style Cylon action figures. I also love Star Wars, Star Trek, and pretty much anything by James Cameron (Aliens frakking rules). We have quite a few sci-fi fans here, including our fearless leader Saysusie.

RobRob,

I'm an Alien freak...it dow matter how many times i've seen Alien just can't get enough off them.