PDA

View Full Version : Coldness

GeoKasher
07-15-2011, 07:53 AM
I'm just learning about Lupus and still tying my myriad of symptoms to it. Is it common for Lupus patients to always be cold? I am always MUCH colder than anyone else. I am not comfortable until it reaches the 90s. If there's even the slightest breeze, no matter how warm it is, I'm shivering. I hate the winter months because I just can not get warm. I wear lots of layers but still feel frozen right to the core. Usually all that helps is a warm bath, but I can't be doing that every half hour!

Like today, it is over 70 and I am absolutely freezing. I have a long sleeved t-shirt on and a sweater over the top of that and I'm still cold. I've been this way for years...

steve.b
07-15-2011, 08:08 AM
lupus effects everyone differently.

for me,
lupus effects my blood,
it causes havoc with my circulation, so i do not thermo regulate properly.
both extremes of weather are difficult for me.

my problem is increased with my fibromyalgia.

i go stone cold in low temperatures.
stone cold.

ritzbit
07-15-2011, 08:46 AM
I was the weird kid walking around with jeans and a jacket down in Florida on familey vacations when I was little. And now I have Raynauds which is worsened by the cold, and Im always cold. However, like steve I dont really regulate temp well. My rheumy told me my "internal thermostat" doesnt work right. Im never really comfortable but I've learned to live with it. Im either extremely hot or cold. Like right now from the knees down Im freezing and my mid section is really hot.

giggle
07-15-2011, 05:14 PM
I am always cold also. If I go from warm/hot temperature into cold airconditioning, I get SICK. I start shivering like I have fever, I get stomach cramps which in minutes turn to an upset stomach and me running for the bathroom. I hate air conditioning.
My feet are purple right now, but because they go numb I typically do nothing about it.

Bonita
07-15-2011, 05:44 PM
I am always cold too even in the summer. My husband is the oppisite because he has copd and the airconditioner is always too cold for me i have to go outside to get warm or in my bedroom because his bedroom has air conditioning also he always says there is something wrong with me because i am cold all the time well no duh i have lupus. Bonita

CWARD
07-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Yep....cold pull the blankets up at night but then sweat...from all the prednesone.....i dont like warm humod weather cause i have ra as well and my joints go crazy......i go to work with multiple layers........i just pretend im hormonal too hard to explain it...hang in there

tgal
07-15-2011, 06:39 PM
I am just the opposite. I HATE the heat. My body has this inner turmoil that goes on constantly. My body is very HOT at all times. I love the winter because we don't have the heat come on until it gets 58 in the house. I can cover up when it is cold. I can only take so much off. Problem is that I have raynaud's so my feet and hands don't like the cold. They hurt soooo bad when I step into bathtub but I can't handle being hot. I live in texas and hot is 105 here lately. When I worked everyone kept heaters in their offices in order for me to keep it cool enough for me.

I am so strange ~

ruziska
07-15-2011, 07:04 PM
I'm either really cold or overheating. Rarely am I comfortable. Hubby and I have learned same bed, SEPARATE blankets. I used to be the one under several layers including 2 down comforters and he'd have just 1 blanket, but the last year or so the tables have turned and I'm the one with just one blanket and he is under layers. I have my own personal global warming going on so I'm usually overheating but I don't get chilled- I get positively frozen and takes forever to warm up. Is it from the Lupus? who knows. Does it really matter what causes it? Not really. Such is life. When I pack for a trip. I pack for both extremes.

Manderson
07-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Yep, my inner thermostat is broken too. Always cold and it freaks husband out how cold I can be.

Peridot20_Gem
07-16-2011, 03:52 AM
Hi Geo,

The same here mate...Lupus causes these affects, meds can and also Raynauds which is severe to the body and trying to keep warm, winter is a total nightmare for me.

Terry xxx

lovedbyHim
07-16-2011, 04:14 AM
I guess I'm a lot like Steve. I freeze when cold and overheat when its hot. It used to be worse when my hoshimotos was not diagnosed & treated. I also have raynauds and fibromyalgia which make it worse.

debbie-b
07-16-2011, 04:15 AM
I am just the opposite. I HATE the heat. My body has this inner turmoil that goes on constantly. My body is very HOT at all times. I love the winter because we don't have the heat come on until it gets 58 in the house. I can cover up when it is cold. I can only take so much off. Problem is that I have raynaud's so my feet and hands don't like the cold. They hurt soooo bad when I step into bathtub but I can't handle being hot. I live in texas and hot is 105 here lately. When I worked everyone kept heaters in their offices in order for me to keep it cool enough for me.

I am so strange ~

I am like you, always HOT. My doctor thinks, it is because I have thick, sticky blood.
I was like that as a child too. No matter what time of the year, I always freeze my husband to death, in the winter, the heater only gets turned on when the inside temperature is lower than 65F, in the summer the A/C is set at 70F or below.
I can't stand being hot, I get so miserable that you don't want to be around me, so husband adjusts and wears a sweatshirt around the house. At night on top of the A/C vent on my side of the bed, I also have a fan blowing the cold air on me, but it is set, to not blow on my hubby. Poor guy.

Debbie

steve.b
07-16-2011, 04:35 AM
i feel the cold more at night than during the day.
at the moment i am sitting on th elounge.
my right hand is degrees colder than my left.
i am in front of a nice romantic open fire....

only problem.... my wife is 4000km away.

lovedbyHim
07-16-2011, 06:34 AM
i feel the cold more at night than during the day.
at the moment i am sitting on th elounge.
my right hand is degrees colder than my left.
i am in front of a nice romantic open fire....

only problem.... my wife is 4000km away.

You must set the stage for romance. Build a fire. Have a glass of wine, and call the wife, who will then whisper words of love and you will drift into sheer bliss, my dear man.

steve.b
07-16-2011, 06:36 AM
i do not drink wine anymore
and she is already in bed with a headache.

such is life...
lol

lovedbyHim
07-16-2011, 06:48 AM
Ahahahahaha...Ohhhhh the old headache story! You poor man. You are suffering in silence. Ummm...distraction Steve! A good violent war movie!

GeoKasher
07-16-2011, 08:29 AM
Thanks, everyone! It is good to know I am not alone.

tgal
07-16-2011, 08:34 AM
I am like you, always HOT. My doctor thinks, it is because I have thick, sticky blood.
I was like that as a child too. No matter what time of the year, I always freeze my husband to death, in the winter, the heater only gets turned on when the inside temperature is lower than 65F, in the summer the A/C is set at 70F or below.
I can't stand being hot, I get so miserable that you don't want to be around me, so husband adjusts and wears a sweatshirt around the house. At night on top of the A/C vent on my side of the bed, I also have a fan blowing the cold air on me, but it is set, to not blow on my hubby. Poor guy.

Debbie
OHHH the blood thing! I have off the roof factor VIII and IX so my blood clots too easily. Thanks for that bit of info! I never put 2 and 2 together

debbie-b
07-16-2011, 03:20 PM
OHHH the blood thing! I have off the roof factor VIII and IX so my blood clots too easily. Thanks for that bit of info! I never put 2 and 2 together

Yeah you know, after he said that, it made so much sense. I only have to take an Aspirin a day, because I am also on Mobic, which also thinnes the blood. I have not had any clotting issues yet, but I am very afraid of them.

Debbie

Peridot20_Gem
07-18-2011, 06:53 AM
Yeah you know, after he said that, it made so much sense. I only have to take an Aspirin a day, because I am also on Mobic, which also thinnes the blood. I have not had any clotting issues yet, but I am very afraid of them.

DebbieDebbie,

It's funny but my blood can clot quick and i'm on asprin like yourself and my body is burning hot underneath my top as my hubby said i throw alot of heat off but through the raynauds i'm just frooze stiff all the time.

Such a weird situation to be in.

Terry

Elo
07-18-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm a bit of both really. A lot of times I'll be freezing or cold when others around me are practically panting, it's so hot. But then, when I get hot...I get HOT! And then I get sick, and cranky, and lightheaded..and it's not fun. So I'm a bit of both extremes, i suppose. But I mainly lean towards being cold or cool most of the time.

Nixxie
07-19-2011, 06:43 AM
I get annoyed with this seasonal palarva!

I am freezing in the winter, struggle with moving my hands because of the cold. they go stiff and extremely painful. (I have to run my hands under hot water after getting things out of the freezer!) My feet can never be warm in winter, I lose my circulation in my toes no matter what shoes I wear or how many pairs of socks. Oh and I look like rudolf. (but less hairy!) The only good thing about winter for me is my swelling tends to be less frequent and not nearly as bad.

In summer...I get too hot. I get headaches and nausea really badly in warm weather. I have breathing issues in clammy air. My swelling is 10 times worse. I cannot sleep at night without a fan on. The sun brings me out it a horrible red bumpy rash. But strangely enough my feet are still always cold!

I think I prefer winter though. You can always add more clothing and blankets to protect you but not much you can do about keeping cool in the sun.

Peridot20_Gem
07-19-2011, 07:57 AM
Nikki,

Some of your symptoms sound simular to Raynauds..have they mentioned you may have this??

Terry

steve.b
07-20-2011, 01:35 AM
nixxie, something that may help for the cold feet is ugg boots.
i havea pair and they work great.
they are sheep wool lined, and keep you a lot warmer.

lovedbyHim
07-20-2011, 03:42 AM
nixxie, something that may help for the cold feet is ugg boots.
i havea pair and they work great.
they are sheep wool lined, and keep you a lot warmer.

Yes but them there ugg boots is UGLY!

Manderson
07-20-2011, 07:03 AM
Aw...I love me some Uggs!

steve.b
07-20-2011, 07:48 AM
i hope you sheepishly called them ugly.

steve.b
07-20-2011, 07:51 AM
there is many different styles now.
i use plain basic ones in the house all the time.
it is winter in my part of the world. and i need them

the woolen inner layer definetely keeps the feet warmer.

lovedbyHim
07-20-2011, 11:10 AM
[QUOTE=steve.bryce;92906]i hope you sheepishly called them ugly.[/QUOTe

Baaaaaa.....that is so funny! Actually I wore my ugglies out! They are so very comfortable and warm...