PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Lupie-Loos! I need ur best tips for sun protection - upcoming beach trip

Islablue
07-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Since these past couple years have been so hellacious for me, I wanted to on a vacation to the beach. So..thanks to my parents and hubby, I got my wish.. I'm going! BL (BL/AL = b4 Lupus/after Lupus) I was a beach bum and never got serious burns. Well, AL ... you know how it goes. I still don't get a huge flare, knock on wood, but I do burn easily now. I'm nervous and am going to be slathered head to toe in the highest SPF I can find, but I wanted to know if yall have any tips for me? So far I've packed an umbrella for shade, my baseball cap, a beach chair so I can sit up since I've found you burn way faster & have no breeze if you're laying on a towel in the sand!! I plan on getting a bathingsuit cover-up and was wondering if yall had any recommendations for the type of sunscreen I should get. I've heard anything over 50 is just a waste and 50 is basically the highest. Is that true? I know I want to get something ultra thick! I'm debating on whether or not I should get a bottle of SunPill, not to replace my SPF, but to pair with it. Have you heard of it? Its got some good reviews if you want to see what I'm talking about click on this - http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Sunpill&hl=en&rlz=1T4SKPT_enUS398US398&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1600&bih=604&wrapid=tlif131059176544310&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12760376363903626467&sa=X&ei=GwseTtvwMIrCsQKMprHZCA&ved=0CFMQ9AIwAA&os=reviews I've read good reviews on a couple of sites and am curious as to whether or not it would back up my sunscreen protection. If you have any tried and true tips I would be thrilled to hear them - heck, any advice would be great and I thank you for it!
xoxo Whit

ritzbit
07-13-2011, 02:48 PM
I use Banana Boat 100 SPF. Whether it works bettert than other lower spf I dont know but it does work well and it doesnt make me feel greasy which I hate. Hope you have a fun trip.

lovedbyHim
07-13-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm so happy for you! As for sunscreen I buy mine from a heath food store to avoid the nano and have all natural. Mine is made by Badger & my doc said 30. For me. It holds me all day long in car, as I apply it several times a day. It prevent UVA & B. Have a wonderful time!

Saysusie
07-13-2011, 03:05 PM
I bumped up an older post in Lauri's Lounge, entitled "Sunscreen Information..Summer Is Upon Us". Hopefully it has some helpful information for you.

Even with all of the protection that I take when I plan to be in the sun, I find that I am able to enjoy my time much better if I give my self periodic breaks completely out of the sun. I will go sit inside of a restaurant, coffee shop, clothing store..anywhere completely out of the sun for about 30 minutes every couple of hours.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

ruziska
07-13-2011, 04:15 PM
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/7c3UVq/www.naturalnews.com/032815_sunscreen_chemicals.html

the above is a link I came across which has some interesting information about sunscreen. I cannot say whether any or all of it is true, but it is certainly interesting reading.

I've never heard of the sunpill so I cannot comment on it. I am however, on a mission to find light weight, comfortable and fashionable clothing that covers all. Fortunately, there's becoming quite a bit of spf clothing on the market and you can even order fabric by the yard to make your own, which I'm considering doing at a later date. I agree with SaySusie about taking breaks. Did that on my Glacier trip a couple weeks ago and it worked well. One of the "benefits" of being a lupie is we don't have to worry about tan lines!

steve.b
07-13-2011, 08:09 PM
saysuzie has a good idea.

i still play with things on our farm.
take regular breaks out of the sun.

Islablue
07-14-2011, 10:52 AM
I've already had to warn my mother that I'm not going to be able to sit out there from 9 to 4 like we used to. Our fave thing was to put our chairs in the water so that when the waves came up they got our legs wet. It's the most relaxing thing in the world to me. I'm going to have to for sure take several breaks. Thank you for the advice and I'm going to have to check out your link ruziska when I get home from the doctor! My appointment is in 2 hours and of course I have to start getting ready. It takes me for-ev-er --- I'm sure yall can understand that!