PDA

View Full Version : a bit of a vain question

Nat
07-09-2011, 07:39 AM
so just a bit of a vanity related question...for those of you whose hair thinned or fell out, how long was it before it started to thicken up and grow back. Mine started thinning when I started on the methotrexate. I had pretty thick hair so when it thinned and used to fall so bad my drains would get blocked up, I was so upset. I've noticed over the past few weeks its started to thicken up but I haven't really done anything different. My rheumy says that for some people on the mtx, they eventually hit a point where the hair grows back...I hope I've hit that point.
I probably sound so vain worrying about hair when there's so msny worse things that could be affected!

Nonna
07-09-2011, 08:25 AM
Nat, I wish I could give you hope; mine has been slowly falling out for years. It hasn't started to thicken back up. I understand from my research on AI diseases that it will not come back. My beautiful long hair is long gone. I have short hair now, everyone tells me that it looks good. It's wigs next for me.

Sorry
Toni

tgal
07-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Mine was thinning from Lupus but the Methotrexate it is gt a getting so much worse. It is bad enough that t. The other day someone said "Ohh let me get that. You have air all over you". I said "oh. from the cat? They said "no, it is your hair." YUCK

lovedbyHim
07-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Hi Nat, gosh I lost it from lupus flairs affecting everything, plus stress and all the meds, but I am not on mxt. I do take supplements and it's been a blast promoting biotin & b supplements. My hair has grown back and as long as I stay out of a flair it seems to not be showing up in piles on the company car floor. Good luck dear. As far as vanity, I cried more over my hair loss than over my destroyed thyroid. I did see a beautiful woman one day and told her she had gorgeous hair. She told me it was a hair piece as she lost too much on top from thyroid disease. I feel much better knowing they make quality hairpieces. See old thread on biotin for a little smile.

ruziska
07-09-2011, 01:37 PM
The problem I've had for years is my eyelashes falling out. I've never had thick full lashes, but at least they did what they were supposed to do and I could put mascara on them however, with no particular rhyme or reason (lupus perhaps?) most of them would fall out over the course of a week or 2 but have always grown back.

lovedbyHim
07-09-2011, 01:41 PM
My eyelashes fall out too! Sheesh! We need a makeover for sure! I would be vain enough to put false ones on if needed. Heck all the stars wear them!

tgal
07-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Well all have to say is Thanks for starting this thread (NOT) LOL After us talking about it I thought "hmm Mari. Why don't you check out the back of your head since you (and others) have been picking it off of me. I have this wonderful bald spot right around the crown and a strip of it down the back of my head! Thankfully my thin hair still covers it but who knows how long that will last.

Sheesh what a fun thread! It was much more fun when it was about everyone else! LOL

craftkeeper
07-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Lord yes, my hair is falling out and i'm eating biotin by the hands full. But being the outlandishly crazy woman i am, to celebrate my birthday today i dyed what i have left bright red.. If i can get somebody to take a picture of it i will post it. Whooo hooo.{ I hope i dont wake up in the mornng and the rest of it is laying on my pillow]

tgal
07-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Lord yes, my hair is falling out and i'm eating biotin by the hands full. But being the outlandishly crazy woman i am, to celebrate my birthday today i dyed what i have left bright red.. If i can get somebody to take a picture of it i will post it. Whooo hooo.{ I hope i dont wake up in the mornng and the rest of it is laying on my pillow]

LOL I want pictures!! If I can post pictures of me during an EEG (looking like Medusa) we should get to see the bright red!

steve.b
07-09-2011, 08:36 PM
my hair has thinned also.
but if the thread on biotin is anything to go by..........
we all need to start using it.

lovedbyHim
07-09-2011, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=steve.bryce;91873]my hair has thinned also.
but if the thread on biotin I

Well...did ya try the biotin Steve??

I was thinkin about sellin it like I used to sell Mary Kay products.

"All for just $ 19.95 a bottle!" Of course I would give fellow AI's a reduced rate!

giggle
07-10-2011, 12:45 AM
my hair started thinning after I had my daughter, didnt pick it as a lupus thing. I guess it makes sense ^_^
I think my hair looks terrible. :( It used to be thick and curly, now its thin and limp. The photo of me in a wheelchair holding my daughter is the last time I had normal hair LOL

I mourn its loss.

lovedbyHim
07-10-2011, 03:25 AM
my hair started thinning after I had my daughter, didnt pick it as a lupus thing. I guess it makes sense ^_^
I think my hair looks terrible. :( It used to be thick and curly, now its thin and limp. The photo of me in a wheelchair holding my daughter is the last time I had normal hair LOL

I mourn its loss.

Honestly I think a woman's appearance means so much to her. I don't mean to say it doesn't a man, but you don't see many man getting makeovers. I mourn my firm very thin figure.. but I firmly believe in making the most of what you've got. Talk to you're hair stylest and see if they have any suggestions. We create illustrations. We wear certain clothes to appear thinner at the waist. There are things women can do to hide the scalp. My hairstylest daughter helped my girlfriend by cutting her hair and putting a dark powder on her scalp. It looked so much nicer. I'm not one to wear hats but I love scarfs Now what am I going to do with this swollen tummy?

Nat
07-10-2011, 05:57 AM
Thanks for all the info. I've actually got a fantastic hairdresser who i've known since i was little and shes given me products to help thicken my hair and now cuts it in a way that you cant notice i have thin hair. Its handy having someone that knows what you like and dont like and can make that work for you. I must check out this biotin thing...sounds good!

lovedbyHim
07-10-2011, 06:50 AM
Nat I take 5 mg and B complex. I rheumy told me about this and I met a woman who had hoshimotos and she got me started. I hope it helps. Truly I do.