PDA

View Full Version : If Bad Doctors Quack, What Do Bad Nurses Do?

Gizmo
07-01-2011, 07:53 AM
Having a nursing degree myself, I am generally a big fan of nurses. Having said that, my mommy juices are flowing like Niagara because of the way my daughter is being treated by a GI nurse. She had to have a esophageal motility study where they stick a large tube down your nose with pressure sensors attached, and take readings when you swallow, etc... Linda's Dr Duck and Dr Quack story inspired me, so I'll try a little dialog as well. I will call my daughter Nausea to protect her identity and because it describes why the test is being done. Nasty, of course, is the nurse.

Nasty: I am the expert in this area. I am supposed to be retired, but I am so good that I have to keep coming back to show everyone else, and they still can't get it right.
Me: That's great. Nausea you have the best person doing this (awful) procedure. YEA!
Nasty: I am going to fill your nostril full of numbing medicine that actually just burns so much that you won't notice the garden hose going up your nose.
Nasty: No, you aren't supposed to gag yet. Just breath through your mouth.
Nasty: Keep swallowing, don't gag, it just makes it come back up
Nurse: Don't vomit! - where is that basin? You wouldn't vomit if you just keep breathing. Well, you shouldn't have anything else to come up. DON'T swallow for the next 5 minutes. You just swallowed, oh now you are vomiting again.
Nasty: You really need to stop vomiting. I can't get any readings when you do that.
Nasty: Crying won't help. You have to do this or I will look bad.
Nasty: I need another basin and you've gone through this box of Kleenex. Just breath through your mouth and DON"T swallow. Maybe I can salvage this.
Nausea: Please stop. I can't do this anymore. Please, please stop!
Nasty: I've had little kids do this. I tell big construction workers to just suck it up because they've cut off their fingers before. This isn't any worse than that. You are just wimping out. If you'd just stop vomiting we could do this.
Nausea: I really can't do this, you have to stop.
Nasty: Just take some sips of water so I can get a few readings.
Nausea: Insert vomiting noises
Me: She has chronic nausea and has to take meds around the clock for it. She couldn't take them 6 hours before the procedure, so she was nauseated when she came in. This whole thing started after she couldn't stop vomiting after surgery and got a hiatal hernia.
Nurse: Well that's not my fault. She should have taken her meds. This has been a waste of time.

Two days later Nurse Nasty calls our house and talks to Nausea about a log she had to keep for a pH study:
Nasty: Why did you write down that you took medicine at 2AM? No one takes meds at 2 AM.
Nausea: I have to take nausea medicine around the clock or I throw up. I set my alarm so I can take my meds in the middle of the night.
Nasty: Well that's just stupid. Why did you put that you were in bed from 9PM to 9AM.
Nausea: Because I was
Nasty: Well that doesn't make any sense. I'm going to just have to try to make stuff up so we can have some sort of a report for the doctor. This really makes me look bad. By the way, you really wimped out the other day. All you had to do was stop throwing up and swallow some water. This is very disappointing.

So, Nasty is on a first name basis with the GI doc. Guess what impression he is going to get about Nausea? I want to complain, or tell Nausea's side of the story, but I'm afraid it will just make things worse. Sorry about the super long post. Really needed to vent!

steve.b
07-01-2011, 08:21 AM
if it wasnt so serious, one might laugh.
they couldnt write a movie script like this, and have us believe it.

debbie-b
07-01-2011, 08:43 AM
I am very sorry, that your daughter had a nurse from hell.
If I where you, I would suggest to her, that she SHOULD retire, she needs to.
BTW Steve is right, nobody could make this up.
I hope your daughter will get help asap.

Debbie

Gizmo
07-01-2011, 08:46 AM
She was vomiting so hard I thought we were going to see toenails in the basin. This all started after she got a hiatal hernia from severe vomiting post-op.

debbie-b
07-01-2011, 08:49 AM
She was vomiting so hard I thought we were going to see toenails in the basin. This all started after she got a hiatal hernia from severe vomiting post-op.

Gosh, my heart goes out to her.

Debbie

sharpiessave
07-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Gizmo, I'm hating that stupid nurse's guts on your behalf. I had to have that procedure done as a teenager, and it was awful. Of course your daughter was going to gag! They sick a hose up your nostril and down your throat! I can't even magine doing it with chronic nausea. She needs to know how brave she was for even letting them go that far.

Man, I just sat here for 5 minutes staring at the computer wishing I could curse on here.

Here's a translation of Nasty's "I'm the best at this, they won't let me go" crap:

"I've been doing this so long that I have seniority over every other nurse here, and in my mind that means they're scared of me. But in reality they all wish I would just retire already. When I enter a room I think they all leave out of fear and admiration, but they're really just exiting the area to continue hating on me in a different room. I can't retire because this is the only thing in my life that makes me feel superior, and I can't lose that. I've been here through the last 5 GI doc transitions, so I think I can push them around too. If I were honest with myself (which will never, ever happen) I would realize that it's not the patients that the doc complains to his wife about at dinner, it's me. Oh, and also. . .I pick my nose at stoplights, I never wash my sheets, I have a constant wedgie, and at Halloween I give out toothbrushes instead of candy."

Gizmo
07-01-2011, 09:03 AM
LOL Sharpie! I sense there is a story behind this assessment. Are you in healthcare?

sharpiessave
07-01-2011, 09:39 AM
I used to be. I worked in an ER for 3 years. My mom's the education coordinater at that hospital, and my brother-in-law is the financial counsilor. There was more drama in that ER than on the tv show, and I had the very unpleasant opportunity to know tons of nurses like the one your poor daughter had to deal with.

I was an admissions clerk/ambulance dispatcher. I guess that made me the neutral party, because the nurses came to me to talk smack about the docs, and the docs came to talk smack about the nurses. There was lots of smack-talking, lol.

Is the GI doc at a clinic or a hospital? Hospitals usually have a quality control person who handles all patient complaints. I totally understand not wanting to make the situation worse, but in my experience QC people absolutely thrive on being able to solve these types of situations. Plus you can remain completely annonymous; they also take pride in patient confidentiality and HIPPA stuff these days.

I actually fired my last GP because of his nurse. You asked "What do bad nurses do?" In my case bad nurses quit their jobs right before they would have been fired and use the excuse of the hospital not letting them have time off for the royal wedding. Anybody see that on CNN? She made a big fuss about it, and the entire hospital cracked up, knowing the true story of how terrible she was. I'm seriously considering going back to my old GP now that she's gone.

lovedbyHim
07-01-2011, 10:24 AM
You know, I used to work in a hospital as a nursing assistant. At that time pain shots were given every 4 hrs. No matter how horrific the pain. I have a lot of empathy for people and worked on the surgical floor with a nurse supervisor who was like a big officer. When she spoke we all jumped. Someone came in with horrible cancer and had surgery. They begged for more meds and one day she went in and reamed that person out.

This supervisor lived across the street from me. She eventually developed a severe back injury in which nothing relieved her pain. Several years of horrible pain and then she died a horrible death with great pain involved.

I am not wishing pain on anyone, but I have come to know and believe that what we do to others, does find its way back to us. Rest assured, the nurse will remember your daughter then.

giggle
07-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Your story made me so mad... I know people like that. I went into ER once and one of the nurses couldnt get the vein catheter in because they couldnt find a vein that didnt immediately collapse. Anyway, the self proclaimed 'most experienced' nurse came over to do it... woddling over with a proud smug look on her face and immediately declaring "I will get this in, these fools know nothing but I have never failed'. Two minutes later, she is perspiring and almost looks as though she has tears in her eyes... all the viens were collapsing on her too. Eventually she tried one in my hand and she REALLY didn't want to give up... she kept pushing and moving it and eventually it exploded... blood just poured out everywhere!! There was a puddle on the floor she just screamed "SH*T!" and grabbed a towel and held it there. She said if we cant do it, we will need to try my feet. lol
She called the young nurse over and had her take over. She immediately found a nice vein in my elbow... lol It would have been funny if I hadn't already bled out near half my blood volume from a haemorrhaging tumour. So that puddle on the floor was precious. I was in to have a blood transfusion.
From then on that young nurse was the one that did my catheter every time : ) Except for the time she wasnt there and my veins were already notorious... and a nasty male doctor decided he would use an artery straight up. My arms were swollen and painful from so many collapsed veins that happened not long after the catheter had been put in and liquid pumped in only to have the vein collapse and pump the fluid into the flesh in my arms. I screamed for him to stop but he didnt. : / I was so angry.

Having felt like your daughter no doubt has... I would complain to the doctor about the nurse. But thats just my personal biased opinion lol

lovedbyHim
07-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Giggles you keep topping the horror stories! You are a book in the waiting! Sheesh girl!

Gizmo
07-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Thanks for reading my rant, everyone. I feel better now, but I think some of you are even angrier than I am LOL. I really appreciate your whole hearted support and it's good to know that my assessment of her was not misplaced. Giggle, you really do take the cake. You must have some serious work to do on this earth to have survived all of that.

Peridot20_Gem
07-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Well Gizmo because i was'nt on yesterday i missed this thread besides this afternoon.

I've come across some rightens in my time who need shooting on the spot for how they treat people and that was totally disgusting with your daughter, i've never had the tube put through my nose while awake but i've woken with them there and pulling them out is enough never mind suffering nausea so bad as you daughter does...i'm shocked you have'nt reported her because there's no need for that behaviour to any age group, to me when they get like that they need to throw the towel in the jobs got way to much for them.

When i had my biopsy the doctor would'nt to do it with local anesthetic because of my other drugs, the doctor was lovely and trying to be gentle i screamed out and the doctor stopped and the nurse beside me in her 50s easily said.... get ready for the next lot of pain... i told her right there and then you need sacking and the doctor looked...i said she does because she's frightening women while your trying to do your job.
The Doctor told her to leave and i ended up walking out in severe pain crying.

So i sympathize with you concerning your daughter...such a rotten attitude.

Love Terry xxx

rob
07-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks for reading my rant, everyone. I feel better now, but I think some of you are even angrier than I am LOL. I really appreciate your whole hearted support and it's good to know that my assessment of her was not misplaced. Giggle, you really do take the cake. You must have some serious work to do on this earth to have survived all of that.

What happened is just awful. I don't blame you one bit for being incredibly pissed off. A good friend of mine who is one heck of an RN, cringes when she reads stories like this. There are definitely some great nurses out there, but like any field, there are going to be a few bad ones as well.

Rob

cptnblah
07-20-2011, 03:06 PM
"If Bad Doctors Quack, What Do Bad Nurses Do?" I know, I know, I Know...they piss me off is what they do. I had one of those the first night after my prostate removal. She was slow and did everything she could to make me miserable. Even to the point of when I thought my cath was plugged, she ran saline water threw it forcibly in and out. I almost punched her. I di go to the nurse admins office the next day and asked what I had to do to get a nicer one. She got out of her seat and placed her hand on my shoulder and apologized and said she would make sure that I had the best ones for the remainder of my stay...and I did. It does not help at all getting a bad doc or nurse!

ButterflyRN
07-20-2011, 03:39 PM
As a nurse myself I can not stand nurses who are in the profession for the wrong reason, and for those who are just bitter people and need to get out! All people need to be treated nicely with care and compassion! It's so frustrating!

giggle
07-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Ha ha, I think I went through it all because I NEVER look sick. Its a serious problem that is going to get me killed.

I hope it worked out for you, I hate bad nurses/doctors. They get paid STUPID amounts of money and to not know their job well enough to be competent... makes me VERY angry. I make $200 a week slaving away and have done as many years study as them. Doctors get $300 an hour. More than I make in a week. And then they complain about putting someone on disability because its their taxes going towards it. They SHOULD help out! They get paid stupid amounts, they should give back to those less fortunate just because society deems they dont deserve more money. Im a receptionist/office assistant... I work MORE than my GP, yet in an hour I could spend my entire weeks income just for her to um and ah over something in the end she just says is too hard to deal with.

I am really bitter about that.

Peridot20_Gem
07-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Butterfly i'm not aiming this at you because there is still some nurses who do care...very fare between to come across these days but they are out there.

What's making their attitudes like they are is because the hospitals are getting swarmed with to many patients and your head as to be on the ball 24/7 while in practice...so what happens when they can't cope, the patients are in the firing line.