PDA

View Full Version : Edema?

Manderson
06-29-2011, 09:30 AM
Not sure I want to wait until Aug rheumy appt to address the edema in my calves and ankles (cankles??). I know that edema can be a sign of lupus nephritis, but I haven't even been dx'ed yet the lupus let alone anything can goes with it.

Anyone else get edema? Feels like my lower legs are encased like sausages. I don't get up at night to urinate, but I do go to the bathroom several times before turning off the light at night. Started a few months back, maybe about the same time as the burning toes and balls of the feet. I usually will read or watch TV for about an hour before turning in and in that hour I probably get up for the bathroom about 3 or 4x. I go, get back into bed and within minutes, it seems like I have the urge to go again.

During the day I am like a camel (hump and all). For most of my clinic shifts, I am on my own and cannot use the bathroom, but I notice that I don't have to go all that often - it's that before-bedtime routine that gets me.

I drink water and probably not enough. I drink coffee and that's supposedly a natural diuretic. My weight shifts like nobodies business. I have gained a solid 12+ pounds in the last year. I can have 5+ lbs weight shifts from morning until evening - doesn't matter what's eaten or drunk during the day.

What say you, friends?

lovedbyHim
06-29-2011, 09:40 AM
Hello Anderson, great sense of humor! I do get swollen "cankels" grin. Mine does show when the protein shows in my urine. It comes and goes. There are however lots of reasons for fluid retention. There are others better able to help you with. If it were me I would ask to see the doc. Just wanted you to know we are "cankel friends!"

ritzbit
06-29-2011, 10:11 AM
First thing that came to mind for me was steriods but you said you dont have a diagnosis so Im assuming you probably arent on meds yet? I know I've read a lot about lupus and the kidneys and it is probably the most commonly effected organ, and edema would diffinitely be a sign of it. I would call your rheumy and see if they can get you in sooner to get it looked at because its better to be safe than sorry.

craftkeeper
06-29-2011, 10:51 AM
I have very bad swelling in calves and ankles quite often. My legs feel tight and heavy. Right before i have a serious flare or if i'm outside in the heat to long this happens. Almost every day i have to elevate my legs to get the swelling down. Sometimes they are so bad that i lay flat in the floor and put my legs up against the wall. I'm so sorry that you are having this because the heavy tightness is a very bad feeling. I also get swelling in my fingers sometimes. my weight will increase dramatically when i do it. I do think that the Plaquenil is finally starting to kick in,because it seems to be helping with the swelling some. As far as i know i do not have any kidney involvement as of yet. but my Rheumy told me the swelling can still be from the Lupus. Of course so many different things can cause swelling it's hard to said. My mother gained ten pounds within a matter of two hours with Congestive Heart failure. I'm in the bath room all night, but then again i drink about 3 pots of coffee a day. Between the coffee and the Prednisone i feel like a sprayed cockroach. HaHaHA.

Peridot20_Gem
06-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Hello Anderson,

Try and push to see your rheumo earlier with what your going through. Here's abit of information on Edema which is linked with Lupus and i'll also add a link for you to read but you need to scroll down abit before you come to Edema.

Terry x

Edema

Symptoms Of Lupus Associated With Your Kidney
Edema: Lupus Nephritis is the name of the kidney disease connected with SLE. It does not produce many noticeable symptoms such as pain in the back. However the kidney is a very delicate and vital organ which does not repair itself and therefore you must take note of the slightest signs and evidence of damage.
In Lupus you can have inflammation of the blood vessels which feed the kidney as well as deposits of protein in the kidneys. While the symptoms of lupus associated with your kidneys are notmany you should be on the lookout for the following:

• Swelling around the ankles, eyes, legs and fingers

• Dark urine

• High blood pressure

• Weight gain

These are only some of the various symptoms of lupus as they affect different parts of your body, but you must remember that often much damage can occur without any external symptoms.

Often the external manifestations are not obvious until after lupus has taken a toll on several organs of the body.

www.natural-remedy-guide.com/symptoms-of-lupus.html

Gizmo
06-29-2011, 05:58 PM
Heart problems can also cause edema, as can anything that affects blood return to the heart. I would make an appointment with my GP if I were you, if you have a good one. If you don't, then try to find one. The rheumy would be an appropriate choice if you have already seen him/her and they are tossing around the idea of lupus. If your journey is just starting and you haven't seen the rheumy yet, your GP can help on your way with this new problem.

steve.b
06-29-2011, 06:38 PM
regarding the toilet issue.
if i read your post correctly, you lie in bed for about 1 hour, (watching tv), before going to sleep.

my wife has had 2 bladder operations, (inserting slings).

when you stand all day, then lie down. the different angle on the bladder causes it to want to empty.
because of the extra fluid your body is carrying, the bladder could be sitting at a slightly different angle.
this could cause it to only partialy empty. (my wife has this effect from the slings)

therefore the blader wants to empty itself, but cant. causing the mutiple trips.
after 3 or 4 trips it is empty enough to stop the feeling.

Manderson
06-29-2011, 07:19 PM
I have very bad swelling in calves and ankles quite often. My legs feel tight and heavy. Right before i have a serious flare or if i'm outside in the heat to long this happens. Almost every day i have to elevate my legs to get the swelling down. Sometimes they are so bad that i lay flat in the floor and put my legs up against the wall. I'm so sorry that you are having this because the heavy tightness is a very bad feeling. I also get swelling in my fingers sometimes. my weight will increase dramatically when i do it. I do think that the Plaquenil is finally starting to kick in,because it seems to be helping with the swelling some. As far as i know i do not have any kidney involvement as of yet. but my Rheumy told me the swelling can still be from the Lupus. Of course so many different things can cause swelling it's hard to said. My mother gained ten pounds within a matter of two hours with Congestive Heart failure. I'm in the bath room all night, but then again i drink about 3 pots of coffee a day. Between the coffee and the Prednisone i feel like a sprayed cockroach. HaHaHA.

Oh yes...that heavy, tight feeling. Just feels like below the knee I have tree stumps for legs :(

craftkeeper
06-30-2011, 02:50 AM
Manderson, something that i do, that you could try just to ease the discomfort. When i get the heavy tight feeling i will dip a wash cloth in very cool water and wipe my legs down. Then if possible i will elevate them as high as i can get. For me it seems to relieve it, if only for awhile. Like i said sometimes i have to put them straight up agaisn't the wall. I try to either carry a wet cloth in a big zip lock or a pack of wipes. Here lately since the heat is so bad i carry a cooler full of ice in the trunk of my car if i have to go out. At one time i thought i must have PAD but now i know it's from the autoimmune problems. Sometimes my legs feel so stiff and heavy i can hardly walk and even though i have gained quite a bit of weight since the beginning of all of this, i am far from being a heavy woman. The tightness can make one feel quite anxious sometimes can't it?

Peridot20_Gem
06-30-2011, 04:35 AM
Manderson,

Craftkeeper is right in what she says about putting them up against the wall...i do know to help relieve pressure of fluid in the legs and clots when lying down you should have your legs slanted up in the air as it helps what symptoms your suffering besides helping circulation.

Manderson
06-30-2011, 06:24 AM
Hey ladies and gentleman......good morning. I made a real effort to elevate the legs last night while I watched about an hour of TV before hitting the sack. It felt good. Craft - did a doc r/o out PAD?

I'm a Tadpole!

Marie/Manderson

craftkeeper
06-30-2011, 09:32 AM
Actually i was given ultra sounds in my legs early in the year and my Gp told me my veins looked healthy at the time. I had a DX of Fibro in 1992 so just assumed that was it. Then in Feb of this year i was dx'ed with Lupus,RA,sjogren and Osteoatheritis. Doubt that i spelled all of those right, but you guys know what i'm talking about.LOL Anyway i am fairly new on this journey also, but i am very thankful to feel as well as i do. My medications are finally kicking in and except when i''m in a flare, i am starting to feel more like myself every day. I hope your legs continue to feel better.

Manderson
06-30-2011, 09:51 AM
I had Doppler as well a couple of years ago and all was well then. The doc I work for checks my pulses in my legs regularly and says they are fine so I'm not so much worried about PAD or a deep vein thrombosis, but there is coronary in my family history on my dad's side. But only the men; none of the women.

I am also thankful that for now I feel pretty much okay. A lot of annoying symptoms but like I mentioned in another thread - I have a high threshold for "annoying." Seems like it's been one symptom at a time for the last year or so, but in the last 3 or 4 weeks, they've all ganged up on me and then a couple of new ones chimed in.

And......wait for it - the butterfly rash made itself known today. I've noticed it when coming in out of the sun or when I blush and I can sometimes see it very faintly. But this morning, there it was - no mistaking.

Peridot20_Gem
06-30-2011, 03:32 PM
Hi Marie,

Well i hope it never comes to DVT, i've had that and it's such a nightmare and the pain it's left all my ankles and up my legs with redish/purplish broken blood vessel scaring and i look like i'm carrying an elderly woman's legs.

Oh i am sorry the butterfly rash as exposed itself i just hope it's not a deep sore red look..as i always think it looks like a burn mark on your face when it's severe and try and avoid the sun and heat to help it carm itself abit.