PDA

View Full Version : steves heavy heart.

steve.b
06-28-2011, 11:04 PM
i have not been myself for the past week or so.

my stepdaughter (22) has thyroid cancer.
she lives in melbourne, 4000km away, and my wife has flown over to help see her through it.

she is fairly body concious, and found the lump quite quickly. it grew at a terribly fast rate, and started on the second thyroid as well.

today the best news possible, it is contained within the thyroids, and easily treated.
surgery is planned in 3 weeks time.

i didnt say anything earlier, because i have a hard time taking sympathy. i can give it, but cannot take it. silly i know, but this is me.

i know some of my posts were different to read. so i decided i need to update my cyber family.

dawn patrol
06-28-2011, 11:19 PM
Dear Steve,
Wishing you and your family the best-
xoxo
Dawn

tgal
06-28-2011, 11:27 PM
i have not been myself for the past week or so.

my stepdaughter (22) has thyroid cancer.
she lives in melbourne, 4000km away, and my wife has flown over to help see her through it.

she is fairly body concious, and found the lump quite quickly. it grew at a terribly fast rate, and started on the second thyroid as well.

today the best news possible, it is contained within the thyroids, and easily treated.
surgery is planned in 3 weeks time

i didnt say anything earlier, because i have a hard time taking sympathy. i can give it,
but cannot take it. silly i know, but this is me.
i know some of my posts were different to read. so i decided i need to update my cyber family.

Oh Steve! You are such a comfort to so many that you have to learn how to let us support you just as you do us. It isn't always sympathy my friend. Sometimes it is just getting an understanding ear when we need one. You know that because you do it so well. Glad things are looking up and thank you for shaing with us now.

Toradoradi
06-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Oh Steve, it isn't about sympathy at all. It is about having someone to go to and talk with when you need it. You are always so encouraging to all of us here and it's good to let us give it back to you when it's needed! You always comment on my update post to say you were wondering how I was doing since I post so little nowadays and it's nice to have someone care in that way. You are valued here and we want to be able to support you as you support us! Just keep us updated on how things go and its good it was caught early, I'm sure it won't be an easy process but at least it seems there is a fairly good outcome for it. Wishing all the best to you and your family.

Much love,
Tori

lovedbyHim
06-29-2011, 03:02 AM
Hello Steve, my heart is heavy as well when I hear words like these. I'm genuinely sorry your family is suffering so. I have learned that I can deal with me being sick, better than my children. It kills me to have them far from me when they are so sick too. I am so glad they believe it is contained and they can do something it.

Now on to the sympathy part. Gosh Steve we all need someone to come along side us in this most difficult world at times. You are such a blessing to so many here. Kick back and allow others to encourage you for a change. Rest so you don't get sick. I realize you will need to carry your wife's load now, but do try to take care of yourself. Here is a great big HUG & PRAYER for you and yours Steve.

craftkeeper
06-29-2011, 03:11 AM
Steve, I always look forward to your words of incouragement when we post our problems. You have been a great help to me and my prayers are with you and your family. Please take care of yourself as much as possible through this

BonusMom
06-29-2011, 04:56 AM
I'm so sorry to hear of your step-daughter's diagnosis. Twenty-two is so young. I'm relieved that the cancer is limited to the thyroid. My MIL had just given birth, in 1961, to my SIL, and was dx with thyroid cancer. The surgery to remove the thyroid was very extensive, much more so than it is today.

I am happy to report that my dear MIL is still with us today, some 50 years later.

Please accept my heartfelt best wishes for good health to your beloved step-daughter.

Dance in the Rain
06-29-2011, 05:40 AM
Sorry to hear about your news. And thank goodness it is contained in the thyroids! Will send positive thoughts her way (& yours)
D

Gizmo
06-29-2011, 06:08 AM
Steve, thank you for trusting us enough to share this news. As someone earlier said, it's not about sympathy, it's about being there for one another. You give the people who love you a gift when you allow them to share your sorrows and return the caring that you have given. I just read 90 Minutes in Heaven and that was a major theme for the author.

I know several people who had thyroid cancer 15 or 20 years ago and are doing great. It is highly curable and you are so fortunate that your step-daughter caught it quickly. Next time, let us help you through the waiting, not just the good news.

kim,l
06-29-2011, 06:29 AM
dear steve i am sorry for your bad news i wish your stepdaughter all the best my friend and will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts hugs kim l

SandyR
06-29-2011, 06:33 AM
I'm very sorry to hear this news but I am glad to hear that your daughter knew her body well enough to know that there was something wrong and was able to catch it so quickly. Your family is in my prayers.

Nat
06-29-2011, 07:19 AM
Steve I'm so sorry to hear your family got such awful news but so glad to hear there's hope for your step daughter. Can't even imagine how she must feel. I hope your daughter, you and the rest of your family get through this difficult time.

Nonna
06-29-2011, 07:37 AM
Steve, my heRt is heavy and my eyes with tears, how lucky that she found it so soon. My daughter had cancer at that age and they were lucky enough to have removed it all. She is now the mother of 3 teenagers.

My thoughts of support are there for you to grab when you need them
Toni

Peridot20_Gem
06-29-2011, 07:47 AM
Hi Steve,

Thank you for updating we on your family and glad you did it when you was ready that's what counts and coping with it yourself before anyone else knows besides you and your family, as it's a big issue to come to terms with.

I do wish your daughter all the best with the operation in 3wks and I'm really hoping it goes well without any come back, as 22 is so young...just try not to stress yourself steve as you've done so brilliant lately.

All my love and best wishes to you and your family and please keep we updated on how you daughter's operation goes please.

Terry xxx

rob
06-29-2011, 07:57 AM
I'm very sorry to hear this news Steve. My best thoughts and well wishes are with your stepdaughter, you, and your famlily, as you all go through this difficult time.

Rob

ritzbit
06-29-2011, 09:09 AM
I'm sorry you have to go through this. I'm glad it was caught early though so it can be treated well. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts.

Linda From Australia
06-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Steve this is so awful for you. And especially when you had some good news about your health recently. How is Cherrie coping as she recovers from her operation. She must be feeling is so bad. But I suppose she won't let on how she is really feeling. Give Cherrie and your daughter my love. And tell those two cuties of yours to make a really flashy card for their mum and sister and send it over to them, and while you are at it, give them a big sqiushy hug until they yell at your and say ewwww.

magistramarla
06-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Steve,
It is so hard when we have to worry about our kids' health. I'll keep your stepdaughter in my thoughts. It sounds like she found it early and should have a good prognosis.
Take good care of yourself during this stressful time, too. We're all here for you if you need a bit of cheering up.
Lots of Hugs,
Marla

Merrilyn OZ
06-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Hi Steve,
So sorry to hear of your daughters diagnosis but glad that it is contained and operable. I'm sure having her mother there will be a great support. I full well know that feeling of dread when that word Cancer is raised, and my thoughts are with you all. I'm sure the operation will be a success.I have found the Oncology doctors to be most understanding and supportive and I'm sure your daughter will to
Sorry I did'nt get a chance to met you while I was still in WA.
I always enjoy your posts and the positive thoughts you bring to the WHL family, this time its our turn to support you and your family. Please know that you are all in our thoughts at this time.
Take care, look after yourself, and send my very best wishes to your daughter for a speedy recover.
Merrilyn

Angel Oliver
06-30-2011, 06:16 AM
Oh Steve im sorry to hear what your daughter is going through,but thankful she found it and got it seen to quickly.Hope her op is a success and i am thinking of you all at this stressful time.Keep strong my friend,we are all here for you.
Lots of love
Amanda.xxxxx

steve.b
07-18-2011, 03:16 AM
the operation was successful.
mum has just spoken to the doctor.
he removed all the thyroid.(both sides)

the official result will not be known until tommorrow.
after testing the thyroid.

doctor is happy. no further treatment is required.

frankenstien looks a little sore with a blue drain hanging out each side of the neck. lol

she can talk and is happy.

thank you to all who kept tamara in your thoughts and prayers.

one happy daddy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

lovedbyHim
07-18-2011, 03:29 AM
Oh I'm sooo glad it went well Steve! As you know I will continue to keep Tamara in my prayers this week for a quick healing.

Peridot20_Gem
07-18-2011, 06:35 AM
Hi Steve,

Thanks for updating we all on Tamara and my fingers are crossed that the results will come back fine for you all.

Bless her seems like the operation went well and i hope she's home soon.

All my love to you steve and your family & like i said finger's crossed for Tamara in healing and her results.

Terry xxxxxxxxx

kim,l
07-18-2011, 06:41 AM
i am so glad steve i wish your family the best hugs to all of you

Nonna
07-18-2011, 07:06 AM
Wonderful News! We'll keep the good thoughts and prayer headed her way

tgal
07-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Wonderful news!!! Thank you so much for sharing the news with us! Let us know how about the results, please!

sonmak
07-18-2011, 10:13 AM
I'm very happy to hear the operation went well. My thoughts are with you and your family. xoxo

Saysusie
07-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Steve;
That is such wonderful news. It is so fortunate that she found the lump so quickly and that the surgery was a success.
Being a Thyroid Cancer survivor myself and having gone through the surgery also, I can tell you that her prognosis is probably going to be excellent. My oncologist told me that, if you have to get a form of cancer, thyroid is the least worrisome as it almost never returns or becomes malignant (spreading to other parts of the body). I did have to do three years of the radioactive iodine treatment and will have to take thyroid medication for the rest of my life..but hey..that part was/is easy.
I saw that you were told that there would not need to be any further treatment. That is wonderful news, but it confuses me. If the thyroids were removed, she will need to take medication in order to do what the thyroid once did. Does this mean that there will be no follow-up care? As far as I know, followup care after treatment for thyroid cancer is an important part of the overall treatment plan. Regular checkups are needed in order to ensure that any changes in her health are noted and so that any problems can be found and treated as soon as possible. Checkups may include a careful physical exam, x-rays and other imaging tests (such as a nuclear medicine scan), and laboratory tests (such as a blood test for calcitonin, thyroglobulin levels, and TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) levels.
Please, if you have any questions or want to just talk about this with someone who has personally been through it, do not hesitate to ask me or contact me.
Again..I am so happy to hear that the surgery was a success :-)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

wash&wag
07-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Hi Steve,

I am so happy to hear of the sucess of surgery! As you know I have been battling Stage 3 Hurthle Cell Thyroid Cancer for 18 months. Young age, health and a positive outlook are on her side! It is the easiest cancer to cure. Be sure they do a Nuclear Uptake Scan to ensure the neck, lymph nodes and rest of the body wasn't invaded by rebel Thyroid Cells. I am surprised they aren't planning a round of Radioactive Iodine treatment. It is very important she take the thyroid medication. Being "hypo" thyroid is as hard on the body as being "hyper" thyroid. She has the most painful part out of the way. Feel free to ask any questions you may have or even just someone to vent to. Take Care and I am praying for a speedy recovery and clear test results!
Tanya

BonusMom
07-20-2011, 04:54 AM
I am so happy to hear that the surgery was a succcess, Steve. I am hopeful that the biopsy will be benign.

steve.b
07-20-2011, 07:12 AM
the cancer was called medullary cancer.
tamara will have 6 monthly test to make sure nothing decides to resurface.
and she will be on thyroid replacement medication. (just like her mum)
cherie (my wife) has underactive thyroids, and needs the same medication.

magistramarla
07-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Hey Steve,
Great news! I'm glad that what she had is easily treatable. It's good that her Mum can help her out with getting used to taking the meds.
Now your family can breathe a sigh of relief.
Hugs,
Marla