PDA

View Full Version : My Office is Too Cold

BonusMom
06-27-2011, 09:55 PM
I have Raynaud's and when the temp in my office/home is below 74 degrees, my fingers/toes turn a lovely shade of blue with the nails turning white.

I can't work with gloves on.

I had maintenance come in last week and they "pinched" the ducting into my office in hopes that it would reduce the air flow in to my office. This morning, it was 68 degrees.

Time to turn in my Request for a Reasonable Accomodation. Does anyone know how they would accomodate this request? They can't totally turn off the air flow as it will impact the entire system. I do have a small (outlawed) heater that I keep for days like today. Unfortunately, it dries my eyes out.

I have a lap blanket but find it gets caught in the wheels in my chair. If I dress in too many layers I have to strip before going outside or I'll overheat.

Anyway, I've tried many things on my own to stay warm at work, now I'm wondering how my employer might be able to help me. Your thoughts?

steve.b
06-27-2011, 10:26 PM
i hope you find a suitable answer.

turn the aircon vents towards the window.
open the window just a little.

lovedbyHim
06-27-2011, 11:10 PM
I too have raynauds and deal with a cold office I use a space heater! Lol it works great.

Peridot20_Gem
06-28-2011, 12:48 AM
I also have Raynauds but can't help concerning work...i have issues with my hubby just over the radiators at home.

giggle
06-28-2011, 01:03 AM
Ive been thinking about taking a hot water bottle to work lol
I know my boss would never take anything I asked for seriously. Im going to start wearing the asian style fingerless gloves... they are pretty much a sleeve with a cut out for your thumb. It sits over your hand like a sleeve and doesnt inhibit your finger movement. Other than that... I just have to wear lots of clothes : (

tgal
06-28-2011, 03:47 AM
Sighs.. here is where my body makes things difficult for me. I too have raynad's so my feet don't deal with cold well however my body doesn't handle heat well! I am basically housebound now due to the heat and I have to keep the A/C on or I will get sick. When I walk out to the washing machine and hit the warmth my toes will burn! I will look down and notice the color changes. It has happened so often now that my 2nd toe even has skin changes that never go away. They look red and wrinkly looking and now I am noticing another toe starting to make that same change. I can't seem to find the exact balance for my body and my feet!

BonusMom
06-28-2011, 05:12 AM
Y'all are speaking my language!

There's such a fine line in finding that sweet spot-not too warm and not too cold. Too hott and I pass out from an autonomic system that's now defective and doesn't know how to cool me down properly. Too cool and I've got ice cubes attached to my feet and hands. Oh, and where my nose used to be too.

My office is an interior office on the fifth floor, Steve, so no windows to open, unfortunately.

I don't want to be a PITA to my employer, yet I want to continue working as long as possible. I layer up as much as possible, use a heating pad on my chair to try and keep my core body temp warm and wear gloves and wool socks in the winter to/from. In the summer I can't do that in the heat or I'll pass out.....

I discussed it with my rheumy at my last appt and she looked for ulcers on my fingertips, which I don't have. Do any of you take vasodillators for Raynaud's? Do they help prevent feeling cold all the time?

Gizmo
06-28-2011, 06:22 AM
Y'all are speaking There's such a fine line in finding that sweet spot-not too warm and not too cold. Too hott and I pass out from an autonomic system that's now defective and doesn't know how to cool me down properly.

Are your autonomic symptoms from lupus? My daughter has dysautonomia, but we thought it was from Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (a genetic disorder). Now I am wondering if AI is a factor, too, since methotrexate has helped her some with the dysautonomia.

SandyR
06-28-2011, 06:41 AM
I've had this problem too. If you sit in an area by yourself I would say ask them to close the dampers in the AC and fresh air intake units and if you are on a seperate thermastat, to raise that as well. If you're with others who are comfortable as is, I'm afraid it's sweaters and heat lamps/heaters.

Nonna
06-28-2011, 07:06 PM
I have my space heater way under my desk. That way it warms but isn't bothering my eyes. Good Luck

ritzbit
06-28-2011, 07:19 PM
I had this problem with school, and now being stuck at home its the same thing. At school I always wore something light and then a jacket on top, hat, and had gloves with me.

3943 Thats what I have. LOVE THEM. Do you have toasty toes or those things for your hands? My fingers and toes are always cold, and the rest of my body is burning up. So I know about how its hard to find a happy medium.

Oh and yes I take meds for it. Norvasc (pill) and nitroglycerin (patch) and they help a lot. Especially the patch. But I do get ulcers so I know thats a big reason for my meds because when Im not on them the ulcers come back and they get bad.

magistramarla
06-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Hi BonusMom,
Our house, especially the bedroom, is always cold. I wear socks and a warm housecoat on the couch in the evening. When we go to bed, we warm up the room for a bit with a space heater and I wear my fuzzy socks to bed. We always turn out the heater before we go to sleep.
A few hours later, I wake up sweating (Fraking menopause) and rip off the socks and the covers. It is a pain!
We enjoyed a hot tub at our motel last week. When I got out, my toes turned blue. Jeff said that they looked like they belonged on a corpse. I hate Raynauds!
I like Ritz' idea with the gloves. I get those wonderful fuzzy sleeping socks at Bed, Bath & Beyond. Could you "suit up" in gloves and fuzzy socks at work?
Hugs,
Marla

SandyR
06-29-2011, 06:36 AM
We enjoyed a hot tub at our motel last week. When I got out, my toes turned blue. Jeff said that they looked like they belonged on a corpse.

This reminded me of when I was younger and first started having what I now know is AI issues my mom always used to say my hands are colder than the dead's. SMH.