PDA

View Full Version : window tinting

ruziska
06-27-2011, 06:56 AM
Do any of you use window tinting on your homes and/or vehicles? We are supposed to avoid UV rays as much as possible and a good tinting blocks out most UV rays. I was also wondering if tinting could possibly be written as a script by our doctors as a medical need. It would make sense.

tgal
06-27-2011, 06:59 AM
I have to have tinting in the car or I get a rash and end up ill. Even with tinting I have to put on sunscreen or even the tinting isn't enough

Gizmo
06-27-2011, 07:08 AM
We, unfortunately, have 5 cars - all of them older. They are various degrees of tinting and I definitely notice that the older cars give me the worst trouble with sun exposure. My minivan is the best because the angle of the windshield keeps the sun off my hands. I don't know that you could get insurance to pay for tinting, but you should be able to write it off on your taxes as a medical expense, with a written prescription. I'm not an accountant, I just throw money out the window LOL.

We bought windows for the house with UV protection, but it is really there to save the carpet and furniture. I don't dare sit in a sunny window.

rob
06-27-2011, 08:27 AM
Both of my daily drivers are older vehicles. One is a 70's musclecar and the other an 80's pickup, and I have modern tinted windows in both. It really helps, and was well worth the investment. I never thought of the prescription/tax writeoff idea though. That's a great idea.

As for my house, I don't have any special windows installed. I just keep the blinds on the east side closed in the morning, and the west side closed in the afternoon. Staying out of the sun has become pretty much second nature anymore. I just automatically gravitate to the shade and adjust the blinds.

Rob

Gizmo
06-27-2011, 08:52 AM
Both of my daily drivers are older vehicles. One is a 70's musclecar and the other an 80's pickup, and I have modern tinted windows in both. It really helps, and was well worth the investment. I never thought of the prescription/tax writeoff idea though. That's a great idea. Rob

Rob, what do you drive? My hubby has a '68 GTO and an '81 Jeep JT. He wants to join a car club, but only if I will go with him to the shows. I have to figure out how to look stylish and cover up at the same time.

Peridot20_Gem
06-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Well our home windows are'nt tinted but the car is to a certain degree besides my spec's if they're counted in.

Gizmo my hubby is a Rover fanatic and goes to the shows and since i met him 10yrs ago he's always had Rovers besides being a member of a Rover site but last year he brought a Rover 75 2.0 CDTI Connoisseur estate (Got to think of my staff mate) lol

rob
06-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Rob, what do you drive? My hubby has a '68 GTO and an '81 Jeep JT. He wants to join a car club, but only if I will go with him to the shows. I have to figure out how to look stylish and cover up at the same time.

I drive an 88 Toyota 4x4 truck, and a 72 Chevy Nova SS that I finished restoring last year.

Here's the Nova (that old "jalopy" in the background is my father's toy)-

Click for full size-

Peridot20_Gem
06-27-2011, 03:17 PM
I drive an 88 Toyota 4x4 truck, and a 72 Chevy Nova SS that I finished restoring last year.

Click for full size-
3942Rob,

Nice one mate and dow you just love the achievement after bringing them back up from scratch.

Gizmo
06-27-2011, 03:18 PM

Click for full size-

SWEET ride! Yours is nice too, tee hee.

Saysusie
06-28-2011, 12:18 PM
All of our cars have tinted windows. We learned this the hard way after a road trip one summer and, by the time that we reached our destination, I was so ill we had to go to the emergency room in another state and I spent the entire vacation in the hotel room..in bed..too ill to do anything!

I have a letter from my Rheumatologist simply saying that I have Lupus and that sun exposure is a known source for flare-ups. My windows are tinted quite heavily and the letter is just to protect me if I am pulled over. In California, you will not likely be pulled over for your tinted windows, but if you are stopped for any other reason and your windows are tinted beyond the legal limits (like mine), you can get cited for them at that time!

Our home windows are double paned, but not tinted. However, I have roll down microban solar shades in each of the rooms that I spend a lot of time in. They shade the sun, but still allow you to see outdoors.

We have to go to so many lengths to protect ourselves..huh?

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Gizmo
06-28-2011, 08:39 PM
I forgot until I read Susie's post that my future son-in-law got a warning for having his windows tinted too dark. I spent an afternoon bonding with him and a scraper, trying to get all the stuff pealed off. Hopefully the letter from the doc will work if you ever put the pedal to the metal.

magistramarla
06-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Most cars sold in South Texas have fairly heavy tinting because of the weather down there. Since we bought our car there, the windows are well-tinted.
We're in Ca now, but I don't think we're too likely to get pulled over - just a middle-aged couple in a Prius - LOL.
Hugs,
Marla