PDA

View Full Version : tips when overwhelmed?

Dance in the Rain
06-26-2011, 11:02 AM
What do you do when you need to get stuff done, and you just don't feel like you can get up & go? I feel that way now & I have never asked anyone before, since no one understood how I felt.

Personally, I love audiobooks. When I have to work around the house I put it on and it helps me keep my mind off of how I feel. I also use audiobooks when I can't sleep. At least I am resting with my eyes shut.

I also use the Flylady method...setting a timer for 15 min & then rest for 15 or more if needed and sttart over.

Today I am feeling a bit overwhelmed & wish I could go curl up in bed, but I can't.

Thanks!
Cheers,
D

lovedbyHim
06-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Music always helps me. When I am really sick it allows me to express myself as nothing else can. When I need to do something I dread doing, I put upbeat music on etc.

I also believe in rewarding myself. If I have to do a lousy job but feel poorly I will buy myself a treat, like iced coffers with whipped cream on top and then blame the weight gain on prednisone. Lol

I think I will try the audio books. I could have used them all last week. Thanks!

tgal
06-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Music always helps me. When I am really sick it allows me to express myself as nothing else can. When I need to do something I dread doing, I put upbeat music on etc.

I also believe in rewarding myself. If I have to do a lousy job but feel poorly I will buy myself a treat, like iced coffers with whipped cream on top and then blame the weight gain on prednisone. Lol

I think I will try the audio books. I could have used them all last week. Thanks!

You should be here! We have sugar free iced latte's every evening. I decided I was spending too much money on them so it was cheaper to buy one. My daughter uses sugar free vanilla but I just like splenda yummy

lovedbyHim
06-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Hmmm.. I think I would like that! But what about the whipped cream? I can't live without it! I can't Mari! (giggling)

craftkeeper
06-26-2011, 03:10 PM
I just recently purchased a can of whipped cream made by Land 0 Lakes [the Butter people] that is completely sugar and carb free. It's made from real cream and is totally wonderful. It taste's like regular whipped cream only creamier. I think i paid 3.50 for the can, but it's really big and lasts along time.

craftkeeper
06-26-2011, 03:11 PM
As you can see by my typing, i can barely function tonight.LOL

tgal
06-26-2011, 03:40 PM
You know you can make your own whipped cream using splenda and it tastes really good! Whipping cream and splenda.. great stuff

Dance in the Rain
06-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Is there any reason that you guys are ccarb and sugar free?

Gizmo
06-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Dance In the Rain, I am so with you! I am getting ready for my daughter's wedding and I HAVE to get stuff done, but I poop out quickly. Upbeat music helps me to stay moving, and I love to have the movie Mama Mia! playing when I really need to accomplish something. I like the 15 on/15 off idea - I'll have to try that. I usually get to a point where I just HAVE to take a nap, and then I am much more productive after that.

tgal
06-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Is there any reason that you guys are ccarb and sugar free?

I have used splenda in my coffee for years but I am on a modified atkins now because my doctor wants to see if it will help my seizures. Studies have shown that it helps some kind of seizures so we are giving it a try (OK, i really bit the dust this last week with the big ol' steroid shot but that is a different story). There is no diet that cures lupus and no one should try any kind of alternative diets without discussing them with your doctor first

tgal
06-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Dance In the Rain, I am so with you! I am getting ready for my daughter's wedding and I HAVE to get stuff done, but I poop out quickly. Upbeat music helps me to stay moving, and I love to have the movie Mama Mia! playing when I really need to accomplish something. I like the 15 on/15 off idea - I'll have to try that. I usually get to a point where I just HAVE to take a nap, and then I am much more productive after that.

Mama Mia!!! LOVED IT

lovedbyHim
06-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Oh I do love my naps! This last spell was 4 x a day.

sharpiessave
06-27-2011, 04:53 AM
Hey D. I know what you mean about having to work through it. Sometimes life just won't stop long enough for us to catch up. Like lovely Regina Spektor sings, "Some days aren't your's at all, they come and go just like someone else's days." So I give myself days. This week, for example. Last week was rough, and I had to be out of the house every single day. Yesterday and today I'm working. So tomorrow is my "me" day. It's mine, and I make sure nobody takes it away from me. My friends and family get texts, I warn work not to even call. That's how I've gotten through this last week, by knowing that Tuesday was MINE! :)

Gizmo
06-27-2011, 07:01 AM
Mama Mia!!! LOVED IT

Gives me hope for middle aged women. We can still be sexy and romantic, and we can survive our daughter's wedding LOL!

rob
06-27-2011, 09:01 AM
My distractions that help me through a long day are music-loud angry metal, like Metallica, AC/DC, Rob Zombie...

And coffee. Really strong, with lots of sugar.

I've never thought of getting some audio books. That's a good idea I'll have to try.

Rob

lovedbyHim
06-27-2011, 09:07 AM
Oh yes the coffee. Starbucks(when on sale) at home with lots of sugar and Italian sweet creamer(fat free). Oh my my! It's the little things. It helps me face another day.

Dance in the Rain
06-27-2011, 10:05 AM
I agree. Coffee is what makes me look forward to the morning. I love my children, but there is nothing like a quiet cup of coffee to start the day.

If you want to try audiobooks, you might be able to download sone free from your library & you can get a free book at audible.com to try.

I am completely addicted to them myself.

sharpiessave
06-28-2011, 07:26 AM
I'm looking back at my previous post and shaking my head. Oh, how naive I was, and full of pomp with the "my day" business. It's now Tuesday morning, a little after 9am. I've been up for two hours and already the day has been taken away from me. My sister is here to mow the lawn, so I'm watching the baby. My dad showed up unexpectedly, and is so excited about fixing the roof of the porch. He brought his Very young step-daughter with him, so I'm in charge of her too. Loving, caring people have filled my house, mostly to help out, and I just want to hide upstairs until they all go away. I feel like such a selfish jerk!

COFFEE COFFEE COFFEE COFFEE COFFEE. . . . . MEDS MEDS MEDS MEDS MEDS MEDS. . . . .

rob
06-28-2011, 02:13 PM
I'm looking back at my previous post and shaking my head. Oh, how naive I was, and full of pomp with the "my day" business. It's now Tuesday morning, a little after 9am. I've been up for two hours and already the day has been taken away from me. My sister is here to mow the lawn, so I'm watching the baby. My dad showed up unexpectedly, and is so excited about fixing the roof of the porch. He brought his Very young step-daughter with him, so I'm in charge of her too. Loving, caring people have filled my house, mostly to help out, and I just want to hide upstairs until they all go away. I feel like such a selfish jerk!

COFFEE COFFEE COFFEE COFFEE COFFEE. . . . . MEDS MEDS MEDS MEDS MEDS MEDS. . . . .

I know how you feel,

My father is one of the most kindhearted, generous people you will ever meet. If I just mention a leak in my roof, he has the roofers over here the next day! Sometimes, he comes over many times a day to work on various projects, or to help me with things, whether I really need help or not.

Well, I felt like the selfish jerk when I finally had to take him aside, and "suggest" to him, that he should take a day off once in a while. He didn't get it. I finally just told him that I need a day off from him once in a while, and that I don't want people at my house every day of the week, no matter how good their intentions are, or how incredibly helpful they can be.

He just laughed, and said "Son, the next time I become a pain in the ass, just tell me I'm being a pain in the ass!" We had a good laugh, and he now takes a couple of days off!

Family will understand if you need a bit of space.

Rob

lovedbyHim
06-28-2011, 02:20 PM
I truly laughed out loud over your dad's reply Rob! Sounds like a good man. I think you handled that well.

Dance in the Rain
06-28-2011, 04:27 PM
I think I am so totally with my peeps...its all about the coffee!

And, I totally get that people wanting to take over thing...that's something that's new to me, since I just finally let people know I was suffering, and I appreciate them, but I am still planning on being the moether to my children, I don't want to lose touch. With them....

Great way to handle that rob....

rob
06-28-2011, 04:33 PM
I truly laughed out loud over your dad's reply Rob! Sounds like a good man. I think you handled that well.

The credit really goes to him. He could have reacted with anger, but he reacted with humor instead.

wrightrs
06-28-2011, 04:36 PM
I love the flylady. Sink Reflections is so helpful when you have lupus. I just do a little at a time. The flylady lives in my state.

craftkeeper
06-28-2011, 04:59 PM
I just noticed while reading through this thread that someone asked about the sugar and low carb diet. Like Mari i am doing a modified Atkins, but mine is solely for weight loss. Part of my Dx came from the huge weight gain that i had with the Lupus. I have found through the years that the only way i can lose is to cut sugar and carbs down. It's certainly not for everyone, but my doctor is okay with it.. So far i have lost 17 pounds, but i waiting to see what my new round of Pred is going to do. Fingers crossed

Peridot20_Gem
06-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Craftkeeper...all the best mate and i hope the new round of pred does'nt affect what you've lost working at it like you am.

Linda From Australia
06-29-2011, 12:33 PM
I put on a BIG smiling mask so no one knows how I feel. The mask eventually becomes me. I smile all the time and make people laugh. But at the moment, the mask is melting away, and there are cracks in it. People are starting to see the real me, and it isn't a pretty sight. Not that I am nasty, or anything like that, they see my pain and suffering. People know that I lie all the time, they tell me that to my face. They say, no you are not fine. My mask is slipping very fast.

So what tips do I have when I feel overwhelmed? Put on a happy mask and you will find eventually you will become a happy person. However, if the problems are not resolved in a reasonable amount of time, I have no idea how to overcome the suffering.

lovedbyHim
06-29-2011, 12:46 PM
You're already doing it Linda. You just let down the mask and be honest and eventually you will laugh again in the midst of the sorrow. Oh it will be twisted no doubt, but it will be awesome! Great to hear from you beautiful lady. When you get feeling really good, could you help me with my grammer and remembering names, as these new medications are making me goofy!

Peridot20_Gem
06-30-2011, 05:55 AM
Linda i always think there's no need for a mask mate because if your not well it makes people realize and that happy mask should only show when you are happy and you get a day where you feel more like your old self.

There's nothing better than the true you in everyone. xxx

lovedbyHim
07-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Right now I can't keep my humor up and pretend things are just "ducky"! I don't want to have to face more medical problems. I think I have enough! (giggle)!

But this weekend I am going to love on my grandchildren like there is no tomorrow! So this is how I will cope. I won't pretend everthing is wonderful, but I will laugh and play in the midst of the crap! We will make crap cakes, crap soup, crap pie, & grilled crap for the 4th of July!

Elo
07-01-2011, 06:30 PM
I'm pretty much in complete agreement with everyone here :) Coffee and Music are the biggies.

Something I like to do when I wake up feeling like someone replaced my muscles with Jello or rolled me over with a steam roller, and I'm completely lost as to how I'm going to get through what I need to do that day, is I watch a goofy movie. I just shove aside that voice in my head that's telling me all the little things I should be doing, and I let myself relax and take an hour and a half to myself. By the time the movie is over, I'm normally feeling much more optimistic and ready to face the world. That's the wonderful thing about books and movies- they take you away to another place, and sometimes they can leave you feeling like you can do anything ;)

Really the only other thing I can think of is to be tolerant with yourself. Sometimes I get so frustrated with what my body can and can't let me do, it makes me want to scream. But just telling yourself it's okay to take things slow, and get through the day one step at a time can really help. Just focusing on the task in front of you and doing it the best you can, and not freaking out about the 20 other things you've got to get done can help to minimize that horrible overwhelmed feeling.